X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower and solid (non-cavity) wall

I have a shower cubicle needing a new shower valve etc. I want to install a bar shaped surface mounted valve/control but this will be on a tiled wall that is solid i.e. non cavity. The present hot and cold supply to an old Mira shower comes directly throught the wall via a chrome elbow into the Mira valve. I have presumed that a surface mounted shower valve as opposed to a built in one, can be installed on such a wall but I'm unclear how the connection can be made to the water supply. I do not want to have the bulk of a straight replacement of the Mira with elbows etc. which is why we have selected the bar shaped one.

Can anyone give me some guidance so that I can talk sensibly to a selected plunmber.

Thanks
    Maldod

Originally posted by maldod View Post
    I have a shower cubicle needing a new shower valve etc. I want to install a bar shaped surface mounted valve/control but this will be on a tiled wall that is solid i.e. non cavity. The present hot and cold supply to an old Mira shower comes directly throught the wall via a chrome elbow into the Mira valve. I have presumed that a surface mounted shower valve as opposed to a built in one, can be installed on such a wall but I'm unclear how the connection can be made to the water supply. I do not want to have the bulk of a straight replacement of the Mira with elbows etc. which is why we have selected the bar shaped one.

Can anyone give me some guidance so that I can talk sensibly to a selected plunmber.

Thanks
    Maldod
    Maldod,

1) Why do you need a new shower valve?

2) There is always, as you would say, a "cavity", because the hot and cold water does not get there by magic.

3) Take a picture and post, if possible. Include the model number. etc. of the valve if you have it.

4) Call a competent plumber and tell him what you want. He should be able th help you.
    the dog

Comment

I see by your profile you are on the other side of the pond so you are likely using different fixtures then we are familiar with. That being said I looked at the Mira web site.

It appears which ever valve you use must have the plumbing in the wall properly roughed in. If you are replacing a Coda (150mm) with the Mode (140mm) you are likely in trouble. The rough-in dimensions are different by 40mm. The Coda has offset connectors but I'm not sure they will offset that far.

If you have links (or model #s) to what you have and what you would like to replace it with it would be much easier to discuss.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
      X