Pipe Wrenches...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Wrenches...

Hello... I'm a homeowner and something of a tool snob. I may not be the most skilled plumber, but I believe that I can tackle some fairly challenging tasks.
    I want to know what size pipe wrenches I should get (Ridgid, correct?). The Black and Decker books don't specify a convenient size, although I worked out about 14 inches from their photo.
    I'm a man of six-foot height and weigh about 170 lbs. and I don't want to be cursing my choice of wrenches later. Do I go with the slightly-heavy 14-inchers and have that extra leverage or work with the 12s, slipping a length of pipe when I need it?
    By the by, the house is one that I hope to re-pipe someday in copper. As it stands, the galvanized rules the roost.
    In short, I need wrenches that I can feel becoming part of my arms, not tools that I hate to pick up.
    Thanks. Greenie

I would go with one each of 10, 12or14 and 18 inch size. It's not a bad idea to have 2 of the 12 or 14 inch size. To save some $$$ look for good condition used ones, but please go for Ridgid quality. There are a few other good brands, but too many of them are real junkers next to the real thing. To cut weight some, you might look at an aluminum handle version of the 18 inch size. If you can find a good used one cheap, it's not a bad idea to pickup a 24 inch one too sometime. I have found very little difference between the 12 and 14 inch sizes other than two inches of handle. The 10 inch is lighter overall and won't open as wide. The 18 inch is a good bit more beefy and does open wider. You would do well to visit the plumbing section at Home Depot or visit a plumbing supply house and check them out in person. What you really need will depend on what jobs you'll be getting into. Do check auctions, estate sales and pawn shops. Sometimes there are good deals there. Be sure to inspect any tools carefully before you bid/buy.

Comment

Hi. i don't know what the protocol is here, but I have some unused Ridgid steel straight and offset wrenches I'm going to put on ebay (1 is at 'eastphoenix') and i'd just as soon support somebody here. Most have some rust staining from long storage, but all work like new. And they are old school, with the interlocked letters logo. Solid. I have 8 & 10" staight and offset, 12" straight, #2 spud, 18 & 24" straight. Except for the 24" flat rate boxes keep the shipping down. Let me know if you want my email; or how this is handled properly. Thanks/Brian

Comment

Hello... Greenie again... Do you have a pair if the 12s? If not, I suppose that I'd just as soon start off with a pair of new ones.
        Ring back with an affirm if yes; maybe you could post the eBay auction number. Then everyone who might be interested has an equal shot... I'm not sure.
        Best, Green

Comment

I'd definitely go with at least the aluminum 14, 18 and 24. They make a big difference at the end of the day as compared to the steel wrenches. I use the 14 and 18 for most of my work and the 24 comes in handy when pipes are a bit stubborn. If you're going to repipe with copper, you'll need your selection of cutters as well.

Comment

Don't forget the power vise. You just never when you're going to need it.

When your commode gets plugged up real good, a 36" aluminum pipe wrench is just the ticket. Saves a lot of time and headaches.

Just a couple of tricks the plumbers won't tell ya.

Comment

ridgid 14 inches pipe wrench is by far the best size for diyers..

Comment

Re: Pipe Wrenches - A wild one

Has anyone ever seen one like this before? This is a Little Giant 4-way Pipe Wrench. While not mine (I wish it was) a friend that's a tool collector sent me this picture in E-mail. I think the design is pretty clever for a tool that's over 80 years old. The movable jaw can be out in all 4 different ways as needed. What do all of you think of it?
                Attached Files

Comment

Re: Pipe Wrenches...

can't say that i've ever seen one of these wrenches.

what name is cast into it?

can't picture it as a wrench that is necessary. interesting, but useless

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Re: Pipe Wrenches - A wild one

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    Has anyone ever seen one like this before? This is a Little Giant 4-way Pipe Wrench. While not mine (I wish it was) a friend that's a tool collector sent me this picture in E-mail. I think the design is pretty clever for a tool that's over 80 years old. The movable jaw can be out in all 4 different ways as needed. What do all of you think of it?
                    it looks like an off-set pipe wrench to me.. specifically for very tight spaces..

Comment

Hi everyone,

This isn't mine, but rather a friend own's it. He said it has LITTLE GIANT on the handle. I'm hoping he will send me better pictures soon. He is out in an area (Mid West) and has no power today. He is also digging like crazy just so he can get outside. 5 foot snow drifts beside his place. It is much like an offset pipe wrench only the removable jaw can be put in 4 different ways 2 of which to me seem useless. I'm sure the Ridgid offset wrenches are made better.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 02-15-2007, 11:45 AM. Reason: spelling - typos

Comment

the size of pipe wrench is dependant on the size of pipe you want to turn.
                        and the space limitations you are working under.
                        I have pipe wrenches from 6" to 48", but for 1/2" and 3/4" pipe the 12" to 18" wrenches are handy,

A lot just depends on what your wanting to use the wrench for,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I would reccomend steel wrenches for a homeowner. They aren't going to be carrying them in a tool bucket. They will hang on the wall until they are needed no more than a couple seconds walk or crawl away. I am partial to Ridgid. Garage sales or a great source. Craftsman pipe wrenches are made by Ridgid, so those are good, too.

Comment

Ridgid definatly, I use pipe wrenches more of an "adjustment" tool than there intended usage. I have all sizes from 6" up to 48" and they all have there placeon my truck. If I were to outfit a home tool box it would probally have a pair of 12" wrenches, the 6" is nice for tight spots and the 18" is good for the big stuff, but what is the average homeowner(aside from myself and a few others) going to take on?

Comment

I've seen one. Little Giant was a company who made quality products, but I'm with Rick, this was a product that made no sense.
                              the dog

Comment

Working...
                              X