X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet outlet size

Is there a standard size for toilet outlets? We recently moved into a new home where all three toilets, including the one upstairs, seem prone to getting clogged. The clog is in the outlet of the toilet itself and not further down the line.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

The standard size for a toilet drain is 3".

Comment

Not all low flush toilets are made equal. I bet your builder cheap'd out and got crappy toilets. Make sure you document the problems, may be a bit of an embarrassing topic but I bet your neighbours have the same problem, go to the builder and see what he will do.

Comment

DSurette, please repost the brand and model# of the toilets. i'm sure we can determine the cause and cure based on this info.

lo flow toilets started out in 1990 and have gone through many changes over the 17 years to get a better flush. 1.6 gallons is all that's getting flushed. some are poor, some are ok, and a few are

rick.
        Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-09-2007, 12:17 AM.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Having grown up with older American Standard 5 gallon per flush toilets and then 3-1/4 gallon per flush and today having new ones that are only 1.6 gallons per flush, I have clogging problems myself, and not just at home. My cure for now is a 5 gallon pail with 4 gallons of water in it. If I (or others) go #2 and need to use much toilet paper, we flush with the pail. (What a PITA that is all the time. <growling>)

A simple thing you should try is to change brand and type of toilet paper a few times. Some is much more clogging than others. The thick fluffy stuff is bad news. The roll that ladies hate, is more than likely the one that doesn't clog. Look on the wrapper for "Septic Safe".

I personally have had less trouble with TOTO brand when it comes to non pressure tank models, than with most others. The Cheapo brands really are *&^%$#@ The TOTO ones I have used are "rapid flush". A big tube connecting the tank and bowl and a bigger than normal flapper. Even with them I still keep the pail handy.

Another idea is to remove the tank lid and check to be sure it is filling up to the water line. Some factory installed fill valves can be adjusted and others not.

One final idea that has helped me, is to flush several times when making a #2 and wiping yourself. And, when done, maybe give an additional flush. I know this seems wasteful of water, but 2 or 3 flushes at 1.6 gallons is no more water than one big flush of an older toilet.

Where I see us really saving on water is with 1.0 gallon (or less) per flush urinals over using toilets for just going #1. Maybe we need to have urinals in houses. How nice not having the YL or wife howling about us guys leaving the seat up. What is their reason for howling. Is it really that hard for them to just lower the seat?

Shhhh: They do make female urinals and they need to use them too.
          Last edited by Woussko; 01-09-2007, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. The toilet is a Gerber and I don't know what model Gerber it is. BTW, what is the correct term for the toilet opening? Bore? Caliber?
            I wouldn't be surprised if it is an el cheapo toilet. We have been here less than two years and have already had to replace the dishwasher. Not because it broke, but because it just wouldn't clean the dishes. The new one does a great job.
            When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              Where I see us really saving on water is with 1.0 gallon (or less) per flush urinals over using toilets for just going #1. Maybe we need to have urinals in houses.
              Preach it, brotha!!!

Why DON'T we use urinals in houses? Imagine the peace and quiet of never again having to hear about what state the toilet seat is currently in!!

And saving money to boot? It's win win!!

Comment

W W

I can think of only 2 reason for not having them. 1. The $$$ factor and 2. The space needed for one even though that's not very much

Attention inventers: How about a new design toilet? When you walk away the seat and seat cover both automatically lower. Additionally, how about a two way flush. If you just touch the flush button it gives a little flush, but when you want "The Royal Flush" you hold in the button a few seconds and let it really flush. Please note that I don't expect such to come cheap. It would take some fancy internal parts, but I'm sure such could be produced and over time once it catches on the prices would drop.

I know I'm insane. I was born totally coo coo. LOL
                Last edited by Woussko; 01-09-2007, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Well my wife says I can't put one in because it's retarded because she says so.

So that's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    W W

I can think of only 2 reason for not having them. 1. The $$$ factor and 2. The space needed for one even though that's not very much

Attention inventers: How about a new design toilet? When you walk away the seat and seat cover both automatically lower. Additionally, how about a two way flush. If you just touch the flush button it gives a little flush, but when you want "The Royal Flush" you hold in the button a few seconds and let it really flush. Please note that I don't expect such to come cheap. It would take some fancy internal parts, but I'm sure such could be produced and over time once it catches on the prices would drop.

I know I'm insane. I was born totally coo coo. LOL
                    sorry to inform you, both the seat and the toilet are already out there. the seat is called the peace keeper and the toilet has a two handle button. a #1 and a #2. caroma makes them. they are an australian design.

the gerber toilet i'm not familiar with.

i do like the toto's with the "g-max" flushing system.
                    also the american standard with the "champion" flushing system.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the info, Rick. I'll ask around at plumbing supply houses about them. People I know that are far more serious plumbers than me would like to know about them. We are always catching *&^%$ about leaving the seat up. I don't get it that women just can't lower the seats. No matter what, a toilet is not going to be a real nice thing. Then when you need one, they are GRAND Anyone remember the old style outhouse over the dug out holes? Anyone remember how nice it was going inside one on a really hot summer afternoon? haha
                      Last edited by Woussko; 01-10-2007, 07:26 PM.

Comment

When I remodeled our master bath I installed a Toto. Let me tell you I think they are the Rolls Royce of 1.6gpf toilets. We have never had a clog or had to flush it twice to get everything down. 1st time every time.
                        SSG, U.S. Army
                        Retired
                        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Toilet

Toto also make a dual flush toilet and many other options like auto opening seat, warmer, badet, auto flush ect..
                          THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Working...
                          X