X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water shut off valve for second shower head

We have a shower with two shower heads on opposite walls of the 30 x 60 shower. The head on the far side of the controller is a secondary head that won't necessarily be used all that much so we want to put a shut off valve on the arm right before the head.

HD has a cheap valve with a push pin but it leaks. We also tried a ball valve that has a plastic lever and that leaked also. What we want is a nice chrome quarter turn ball valve that completely shuts off the water. Something like the BrassCraft valves they have at HD would be perfect but we are looking for 1/2" female x 1/2" male.

Any suggestions?
    Little River Bed and Breakfast, Peterborough NH

If you find the valve you want but it has female threads on both ends, just get a 1/2 brass "close" nipple. Be sure to use teflon tape or teflon base pipe dope.

Comment

Thanks Woussko, BrassCraft's valves have compression fittings which I don't think works for us...and so far I have found nothing else

Comment

How about a regular brass ball valve? I know they are ugly, but they should work until you can find something pretty. Do check around plumbing supply places. I've seen what you want, but can't (just now) think of the brand or where I saw it. Check at Lowes and in good hardware stores too.

This is more along the lines of what I had in mind. Hope it helps some. Also see on Ebay what HondaHead posts above. (1/16/07)
        http://www.alphafittings.com/ (Manufacture's web site - click on ball valves)
        Maybe they have a dealer in your area where you can buy one. Their ball valves are chrome plated brass and they are compact. The one with M x F NPT should work for you in 1/2 NPT size. See part number 86310-08
        Last edited by Woussko; 01-16-2007, 04:19 AM. Reason: Updating

Comment

Look Here also Click Here
          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Thanks guys...I like that first ebay valve. It is a bit pricey, especially with shipping from Western Canada to Eastern US but it is really what I am looking for.

Comment

I'm curious... it says that code in some places will not permit that as a shower head shut-off valve.

Can anyone explain why that might be?? What possible reason could there be for it to not be to code?

Comment

doggy, the 1/2'' fip x 1/2''mip 1/4 turn ball valve is made.

the valve actually has more of a straight 1/2'' male thread/ slip joint thread. since there is no real ststic pressure on it, it will work fine.

this valve is more of a west coast style. it's been commom practice to use a 1/2'' male/ slip joint connection. other parts of the country use a 3/8'' compression fitting. the straight style valve is also more of a specialty too. we tend to use an angle stop/ 90 degree valve over a straight stop.

i don't have the part # handy, but brass craft should list it in their web site. i know that my suppliers would carry the stop. i have dozens of them in an old style, non 1/4 turn style.

once you have the part #, it will be easy to locate.

also a shower head diverter or flow controll will work, but it will drip a little when the water is on. it does this to maintain the water temperature. it's only a little bit and shouldn't make much difference. these are very common at any hardware store.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

the valve you are looking for is made by dahl valves. easy to get looks good and work well. try a real plumbing wholesale like emco or wholsley they will set you up quick.
                  how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

The first link I posted is the Dahl brand valve. You may be able to find something similar in your area for cheaper. Dahl is a Canadian company, I am not sure if you'll find them in the US? Emco and Wholsley are both Canadian distributors.
                    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

code

the reason you are not to put a shut off on shower heads or hand showers is if the valve is off but the mixing valve is left on you may get a cross over between the hot and cold. more in older building and houses. but with one shower head still open you should be ok. it should have had been roughed with two valume controls. i used to be a super in 1930's building, sume people had dishwashers that hooked up to the kitchen faucet and would leave it on all day till they got home. other units on that riser would only get hot water out of the cold fauset.

fastplumber out.

Comment

Re: Water shut off valve for second shower head

I bought the one off ebay from the Seller in Alberta...I guess I might have saved a few bucks if I could spend more time searching but I need the darn valve so I can finish the shower and move on with my life!

Thanks for the help guys! This is a great forum...my wife asked this question at the home website she visits and she got one response in two days and it was useless...he said just go to HD and tell the plumbing guys there what you want! You put her other site to shame

Comment

Re: code

Originally posted by fastplumber View Post
                          the reason you are not to put a shut off on shower heads or hand showers is if the valve is off but the mixing valve is left on you may get a cross over between the hot and cold.
                          Ah! Of course... once you point it out it makes perfect sense.

So as you mentioned... having it downstream of an already open shower head should be fine since the concerns behind the intent of the code are nullified.

Comment

Re: Water shut off valve for second shower head

Just a question for you guys since we are on the topic of cross connections. Got a call the other day from my main plumbing supplier, who also deals with the public and used to give my name out quite a bit. Seems another "builder" installed a W/H and all they could get out of any faucet was hot water. He thought the heater was defective for some reason and wanted to return it to the supplier. Salesman at the supply house asked me if I would run out and take a look at it. Turned off the valves to the washing machine and presto, cold water once again at all of the faucets. Who do I send a bill to for this, if anyone. The supplier, the contractor, the homeowner, or should I just eat it?
                            Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

Working...
                            X