X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repairing leaks in live water lines?

I work at a major ski & golf resort in Canada and we are always very busy. Anyone have any suggestions on repairing live water lines without shutting down the water? [valves seized or no valve local to leak].Just how much do these jet-swet units cost? and how much would a freeze unit cost?

[ 12-05-2004, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: georgy ]

Jet-sweat is a good choice for smaller piping, i think the kit to cover all sizes up to 2" goes for around $500, but that is just a guess, it's been some time since I visited their site.

Freeze seals work well, but you can not have ANY moving water in the line when you make the freeze. I don't know what the cost of a freeze seal kit would be. I have used freeze seals a number of times. If you want to farm out the work try Freeze-Seal Inc. http://www.freezesealinc.com/profile.htm

Comment

My jet sweat kit was just under 200 dollars....Works great...

Comment

GREG.YOU MENTIONED YOU DON'T WANT TO SHUT DOWN THE WATER. I OWN BOTH SYSTEMS. FREEZING ONLY WORKS WHEN YOU CAN ISOLATE THE FLOW TO NO FLOW. GREAT FOR END OF THE LINE REPAIRS. JET SWEAT IS USED TO STOP THE FLOW TO INSTALL A FULL PORT VALVE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR ALL THE WATER TO STOP DRIPPING. MY SUGGESTION IS TO TEMPORARY STOP THE LEAK AND SHUT DOWN THE SYSTEM AT A SLOW TIME. THIS IS ACCOMPLISHED WITH A CLAMP OR THERE ARE SOME VERY GOOD FIBERGLASS TAPES FOR THIS. THEY HARDEN WHILE YOU WORK IT AROUND THE LEAK. CAN'T BE A LARGE GUSHER. TRY CLAMPING POSSIBLY WITH A HOSE CLAMP AND THEN TAPE OVER WITH THE FIBERGLASS. CHRISTYS GLUE REPS THIS LINE. LAST BUT MOST EXPENSIVE IS A SADDLE VALVE CALLED ADD A VALVE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO INSTALL A VALVE ONTO EXISITING COPPER PIPING WITHOUT SHUTTING OFF THE WATER OR CUTTING THE PIPE. AT THAT POINT YOU THEN CAN ISOLATE THE LEAK AND MAKE THE PROPER REPAIR. VERY EXPENSIVE VALVES. USED IN HOSPITALS. GOOD LUCK. RICK.

Comment

Jet sweats are usallly under $200.00 but they are even cheater if you buy them individually.
          But in my opion you can only use a jet sweat in certain areas.B/c as soon as you cut that pipe you going to get water.And if your working in an area with funiture or nice wood floors you definitely don't want to use the jet sweat.

Comment

Yeah, about the only time you can make use of a Jet-Sweat is if you can isolate the line upstream, even if the valve does not hold 100% if you can stop most of the water you could then make the cut with something underneath such as a bucket to catch the little bit of water while you quickly insert the Jet-Sweat and seal it off. Won't work in most cases but in some it will. Would pay to rehearsh the procedure and be sure you have everything on hand and ready to go. Also most likely a two man job. I don't think I would try the above on anything bigger than 1-1/4" pipe. Like I said I was guessing at the current price of the Jet-Sweat kit as it has been a long time since I bought any of them, over 15 years.

You mention no local valve to isolate a particular portion of the line, unfortunatley designers and owners don't see the advantage of adding these 'extra' valves in during construction, so maintenance and future expansion activities always suffer, as does the portion of the building that must be shut down for however long to make tie-ins or repairs. They try to hold down the cost of construction by reducing the number of valves and the labor required to install them.

Comment

Two words-PRO PRESS. EJW

Comment

Buddy, you want to fix it right?

Shut the water down (may I suggest nights or weekends), cut out the bad section, replace it.

It's the only way to go Hoss.
                the dog

Comment

If you are in a jam. Get some Pow-r Wrap. We sell it at Crane Supply, how big is your pipe. For a 1/2 pipe it costs about 8 bucks It is a resin impregnated fibreglass stipping. Will handle a tested 1500psi.
                  All types of pipe as well. We had a DI supply line, 10 inch going into an army base, they used it 4 yrs ago to fix a leak, it is still dry as a bone.
                  Dave Gibb<br />Manager, Crane Supply<br />Pembroke Ontario Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Craneman:
                    If you are in a jam. Get some Pow-r Wrap. We sell it at Crane Supply, how big is your pipe. For a 1/2 pipe it costs about 8 bucks It is a resin impregnated fibreglass stipping. Will handle a tested 1500psi.
                    All types of pipe as well. We had a DI supply line, 10 inch going into an army base, they used it 4 yrs ago to fix a leak, it is still dry as a bone.
                    Thanks for the input, I believe I will try your method. by the way I'm from Pembroke as well, I came down here to work 7 years ago. I used to work at CFB PET for ten years,It's nice to here from people up there. You should come to Blue Mountain for some fab skiing or golfing.

Comment

Hell...he lives in Canada...Just turn off the heat for a few hours...No tools required....LOL

Comment

Re: repairing leaks in live water lines?

Hi everyone, I realize this post is a little old but I ran across it on an internet search.I have actually just purchased a jet swet kit. I saw a couple of posts mentioning that the Jet Swet tools are $500 and if that is truly the price that you saw, then I would suggest going to their website at brenelle.com. The full kit is 1/2" to 2" and is only $248.00.

There are also some new inventions tools as well. There are some situations that hardwood floors and nice walls would make you nervous about using a Jet Set as well as any other plug kit, as water spilling can be a problem for the frist 10 seconds while you are cutting and plugging the pipe. I just bought a newer version of the Jet Swet that minimalizes this called the Jet Swet Flow-Thru's. They have a 1/4" cavity down the center of them that have a hose connection on the end, that way you can hook a regular every-day garden hose to the end of your jet swet, and re direct water where you want. This way you can relieve some standing pressure, while minimalizing the initial water drip.

Freeze kits work, but there is a lot of risk involved, as well as needing to constantly resupply. My Jet Swets are built like tanks! They are good to go, in and of themselves time and again. I know everyone has different styles but Jet Swet just seems like the best tool for most situations. One of my biggest things is that you don't have to resupply. Like, it always works, you dont have to buy something more for it for every job.
                        Last edited by Jet Swet Man; 03-20-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I dont know your situation .I just did a 1 1/4 on the fly , used ball valve compression fitting . it was in a basement copper line , a little mess but done pretty quick a ,2 man job .( change the main gate )

Comment

Jet swett works great so does pro-press
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X