X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burr, It's Cold In Los Angeles

after 31 years of plumbing, i've seen my first pipe burst due to freezing temperatures

i had a commercial kitchen with 2 swamp coolers on the roof and 2 of the 1/2'' copper 90's burst at the outer sweep. also a 3/8'' compression joint pulled out.

after speaking to 2 other buddies, they also had a few calls for burst pipe on the roof.

i've personally froze many pipes to install valves, but never had pipes freeze without my help

my truck was below 30, pegged the thermometer at 8:00 am.

rick.
    phoebe it is

I think that January 2007 will go down in record as the "Month Of Insane Weather" for most if not all of the USA. Here in the Mid Atlantic we were enjoying nice warm weather, but no more. The big freeze is on here, only we were expecting it. For LA to go below freezing is going to make some history. On national news I've read about most of the Cal fruit trees getting frozen. What a loss that is. Cal oranges are soooooo much better than the sour-bitter ones from Fla.

Comment

I woke up to a lot of birds singing this morning. I think its a bit early in Ohio. Usually we look forward to robins comming back in mid march. Warmest winter so far here but it is getting cooler now.

Josh

Comment

it was 9 last night...lol... Cry babbys
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Re: Burr, It's Cold In Los Angeles

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          after 31 years of plumbing, i've seen my first pipe burst due to freezing temperatures

i had a commercial kitchen with 2 swamp coolers on the roof and 2 of the 1/2'' copper 90's burst at the outer sweep. also a 3/8'' compression joint pulled out.

after speaking to 2 other buddies, they also had a few calls for burst pipe on the roof.

i've personally froze many pipes to install valves, but never had pipes freeze without my help

my truck was below 30, pegged the thermometer at 8:00 am.

rick.
          Rick,

You and I are going to have to start paying attention to those "freeze" code requirements. What ever happened to the days when plumbers could wear shorts year round?
          the dog

Comment

"What ever happened to the days when plumbers could wear shorts year round?"

What happened to the days when they wore a white shirt and bow tie to work? I know it was before my time.

Yesterday morning I got in the truck at 5:00 AM and it was 55 F, this morning at nearly the same time it was 18 F.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              "What ever happened to the days when plumbers could wear shorts year round?"

What happened to the days when they wore a white shirt and bow tie to work? I know it was before my time.

Yesterday morning I got in the truck at 5:00 AM and it was 55 F, this morning at nearly the same time it was 18 F.
              Bob,

You live in New Jersey and probably think Rick and I are weenies, but the other day I left for work at 4:30 AM and it was 28 degrees. That is unheard of in the Los Angeles area. Contrary to popular belief, southern California is not always sunny, and yes, it does rain. But I don't ever remember it being this cold.

It is not uncommon to see people walking around in shorts throughout the winter months. On Christmas day it is normal to see kids in tee shirts riding new bicycles.
              the dog

Comment

it is now global cooling
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

two days in a row last week, our high was -22 C ( about -8 F) and it got as cold as -32C (-25F)...we live by the 'freeze' codes out here
                  West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                  Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I'm working in Las Vegas this week and it is 26 degrees. It seems every PVB has fallen to the cold and there is not one left in town for repairs.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

news flash,

it snowed in malibu today

where was that when they had a big fire last week

mark, i've got pvb and plenty of zoller pumps. we had a short burst of rain and lightening today.

you should have seen the roofers accross the street from my house scrambling to put down plywood and plastic this morning

check what the vegas odds are on that, mark

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

My son is a CHP officer and part of his area is Malibu. He told me it was not a lot of snow but it was enough to close down a couple of canyons and part of PCH. I was wondering just how "Global Warming" factors into this weather?

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                        X