Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Ridgid Tools like they used to be.

My dad was a well driller and pump installer. We used Ridgid pipe wrenches and pipe cutters in the field. We used to have to remove bits from drill pipe. We would set up a chain wrench on the pipe and use a 3' Ridgid pipe wrench with a 6' pipe "cheater". The wrenches were practically indestructible.

In my business years later we were installing gas piping and again depended upon Ridgid wrenches and pipe threading equipment in the field.

I still have the manual pipe threaders that I used as a kid many years ago and still use them. I don't know much about other Ridgid equipment but hope that they have maintained the high standards that they set in the past.

I am not very familiar with other Ridgid tools but I

Re: Are Ridgid Tools like they used to be.

Are Ridgid Tools like they used to be.

In a word, yes!
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Jimmar

Please take a look around this area of the main Ridgid web site.
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Pipe-Working
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Chain-Tongs
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heavy-Du...ht-Pipe-Wrench
      http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Pipe-Cutters
      Last edited by Woussko; 01-25-2007, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        Are Ridgid Tools like they used to be.

In a word, yes!
        Dave,

I take it that you are basing your opinion on years or experience flipping through catalogs in your sales office? Yea.

In my opinion, I would say yes and no. My opinions are based on real experience with the tools.

Pipe wrenches are as good as ever.
        Cutting wheels for tubing cutters are poor. As a matter of fact, Ridgid tubing cutters themselves don't hold up like they used to.
        Pipe dies, which used to be the best, don't hold up like they used to.
        Ridgid plumbing specialty tools, such as basin wrenches, pipe extractors, spud wrenches, reamers, etc. are the best made.
        the dog

Comment

dog, what do you know about basin wrenches

i thouht you were a ruff, ruff dog

actually their spring on the jaw is too weak. it doesn't have the bite a bigdog needs like me

i also feel that their tubing cutters are a little off. the inent of new pins and clips, seems to cause a tracking issue. 1 of mine cuts almost like a 1.25'' tbe tailpiece thread

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

i still will never buy a pipe wrench that isnt ridgid,same goes for my chain vices.. I love my old no. 18 tubing cutters, but i find any of the spring loaded cutters dont last.
            Last edited by bigPipe09; 01-26-2007, 01:09 AM.
            West Trail Mechanical Ltd
            Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

"No" they havent maintained the high standards that they set in the past. I still like the pipe wrenches but they too have softer jaws then they use too. From what I see, Ridgid has fallen to the "Home Depot" style of tool`s these days.
              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Reed Manufacturing Co. -
                While I can't say for sure about their overall quality, this is an old timer USA based company that makes plumbing tools. Their model 2-1 manual pipe cutter for 1/8 - 2 iron pipe IMO is better than the Ridgid 2A and this is from owning both of them. Most of their vises are pretty good. Maybe some of you know about them. My point is that for some items we have choices. It might pay off to look into them.
                http://www.reedmfgco.com/
                Phone: 800-666-3691 Fax: 800-456-1697
                I do not work for them or sell any of their products. I'm just an end user.
                Last edited by Woussko; 01-26-2007, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

actually their spring on the jaw is too weak. it doesn't have the bite a bigdog needs like me

i also feel that their tubing cutters are a little off. the inent of new pins and clips, seems to cause a tracking issue. 1 of mine cuts almost like a 1.25'' tbe tailpiece thread

rick.
                  I'm a commercial construction plumber. I never said anything about being a "ruff (sic)" plumber. I was just involved in setting up the finish for 45 hospital patient rooms. In my opinion, Ridgid makes the best basin wrench.
                  the dog

Comment

I like the RIDGID basin wrench and I also think it is one of the best available. The shaft is heavy duty sq. tube and does not flex. The telescoping feature works well and does not jam. At time I feel the spring could be a little stronger but overall its OK.

I prefer RIDGID pipe wrenches over others.

RIDGID tube cutters and especially the cutter wheels are not what they used to be. I think Imperial makes better cutters in the smaller sizes like I have used for instrument tubing. The RIDGID Imp cutters are good (at least my older ones are) and an exception. I have not used any of their newer pipe cutters in the past few years so can't comment on their quality. Older (pre 1990) pipe cutters I had no problem with.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

rick.
                      Rick,

What Basin Wrench do you reccomend?
                      the dog

Comment

dog, to answer your question, i would have to look for the name on the import knockoff ridgid basin wrench.

the difference is the import has a much stronger spring. otherwise they are interchangeable.

i even have a few of the larger jaw basin wrenches. can't remember the last time i needed one. maybe a waste and overflow from working below the ceiling?

since the spring is too week to keep the jaw properly closed, you have to use a second hand to hold the jaw from slipping.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

dog, to answer your question, i would have to look for the name on the import knockoff ridgid basin wrench.

the difference is the import has a much stronger spring. otherwise they are interchangeable.

i even have a few of the larger jaw basin wrenches. can't remember the last time i needed one. maybe a waste and overflow from working below the ceiling?

since the spring is too week to keep the jaw properly closed, you have to use a second hand to hold the jaw from slipping.

rick.
                          Like I said,

You are saying there is a better one, what brand?
                          the dog

Comment

dog i need to see if here is a name stamped on it. i'm not sure if there is or not

it is identical and interchangeable with the ridgid square extendable wrench.

just not sure if i can i.d. the brand. i know i buy more than 1 at a time and will see if there are any marks on a new one

rick.

if ridgid has a stronger replacement spring, theirs would be fine.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X