X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flushable Baby Wipes?

you wouldn't believe how many calls i get with stoppages caused by "flushable baby wipes"

anything that doesn't dissolve in water is not flushable. granted it will pass through the toilet, but it will get hung up in piping down stream.

today i had a miserable stoppage in the master bathroom with no cleanout and a carpeted bathroom. the other 3 bathrooms were ok. the 4'' roof vent was on a very steep wood shake roof. fortunatly there was a flat roof within 4' of the vent. i used my 7/8'' cable with the k-60 machine to hit the stoppage at approx. 42' in. as it cleared from the toilet and tub, i had the homeowner run all the fixtures. my fear came true. the rest of the house was now plugged up with all the dislodged wipes. i removed dozens of intact wipes from my cable and went at it again with 75' of cable. after flushing all the toilets for 15 minutes, the stoppage seems to have washed through.
    glad i did'nt need another 75'
    the moral of this story is, if the product doesn't dissolve as fast as toilet paper, it's not flushable. this includes kleenex, paper towels, dental floss, sanatary items, (white mice) and rats

keep it flowing

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: Flushable Baby Wipes?

Rick

How about people that try to flush "Rags On A Roll" down the toilet? Sometime you'll run your snake into a little gater, chop it up and pull back parts. People seem to think anything that might pass through that it's OK to flush it. Don't get into doing big restaurants, shopping centers or movie theatres. The snake men in my area can hardly stand to work in such places.

Comment

I've always thought being a janitor at some of the malls and restraunts would be a pretty rough job. I cant stand looking into some of those stals let alone the thought of having to clean them out. Never thought about actually having to snake the lines. Once again my hats off to you guys that have to deal with that.

Comment

josh, when i saw that you posted on this subject, i assumed that you were going to say that with the "new twins", this is an everyday occurance.

people are always surprised when i tell them that the wording, "flushable" means that the wipes will flush through the toilet. no "rocket scientiest" can assure that they will float all the way to the city connection.

i can't picture any waste pipe clean enough and smoothe enough to allow for any product that doesn't dissolve to make it to it's final destination without getting hung up

glad to hear that you don't have first hand knowledge with this kind of stoppage

rick
        phoebe it is

Comment

man oh man are you singing to the choir on this!

recently, i worked a job at a very high end home with the owner telling me that is says "flushable" on the container and also on the tv commercials. after being interupted twice during my trying to explain to this woman that it just doesn't work no matter what the packaging or ad says i decided to just shut up and realize that i have a steady customer here. definately more $$$ than sense.

the best one lately was an older couple, bought the home 2 years ago, have NO kids and have had no house guests with kids. pulled back the wig from a doll.

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I`m loving the Flushable Baby Wipes
            Flushable Baby Wipes = $$$$$$
            I do at least 3 sewers a week that are full of Flushable Wipes. Theres a new one out for women that are causing problems and I`m thinking about getting stock in em
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

This morning one of my neighbors had to have their main line snaked. They pulled out several cloth "shop" rags that some *&^%$# maid service: eek: had flushed down the basement toilet some time ago. I'm sure the more people that post, the more wild things will be found that someone tried to flush away. I've heard of people ripping up old checks and trying to flush them. We all know young children will keep "The Electric Snake Man" busy with lots of work.
              Last edited by Woussko; 01-30-2007, 04:02 PM.

Comment

My dad indoctrinated me early on in life that the only thing other than human waste that goes down the toilet is toilet paper.

Our nursery would probably smell better if we flushed the wipes down the toilet but I know better. Who knows what all will get stuck going down the toilet after the boys get old enough to learn how it works. Till then it'll stay flowing clearly.

Josh

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                josh, when i saw that you posted on this subject, i assumed that you were going to say that with the "new twins", this is an everyday occurance.

people are always surprised when i tell them that the wording, "flushable" means that the wipes will flush through the toilet. no "rocket scientiest" can assure that they will float all the way to the city connection.

i can't picture any waste pipe clean enough and smoothe enough to allow for any product that doesn't dissolve to make it to it's final destination without getting hung up

glad to hear that you don't have first hand knowledge with this kind of stoppage

rick

Comment

"...(white mice) and rats "

what about moles ???
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    "...(white mice) and rats "

what about moles ???
                    last time we spoke about moles, we lost a good plumber and gained a bunch of grouchy sparkies

rick
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Well let's be honest here... if the package says it's flushable, that's reason enough for any normal person to expect it's safe to flush down the toilet, right? I mean... why would anyone think otherwise unless they've been told this sort of thing from a plumber?

That said... I've now learned something today. I'll definitely keep this in mind when the time comes for me to be taking care of baby stuff...

Comment

Maybe its just me but I usually use a baby wipe when changing a diaper, so the used wipe goes into the diaper and they both go either into the garbage or the diaper gene.
                        Granted I haven’t begun the toilet training phase yet so I’m sure that there will be potential problems in my future, that and since I have a septic unless it say s septic safe or comes out of the human body it does not go into the toilet under penalty of death.

Comment

The thing with baby wipes is that they are not just for babies. Older people use them as well as the average spiller You have to think if they can clean poop then they'll clean anything and they pretty much do! Tables start getting wiped with them and counters and sticky hands and before you know it without even thinking one or 10 automatically get tossed in that open toilet instead of a trash can or diaper genie.

Rick, our toilets are safe. No worries

Joey

Comment

"we lost a good plumber "

I know, that's the sad part.

Plumber, where are you?
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

ok so i have a question about this so i figured i would come ask the pros!

I use baby wipes and have for some time in the bathroom. I live in a 20 year old house with I believe PVC pipes leading out to the city sewer. I keep reading about the nasty mishaps that can happen with using thee things and i want to know if there is any regular maintenance that i can do to unsure tht my sewer does not clog.?

I really don't have any idea how i could ever go back to not using these to be "clean" After using the toliet so i really need to know if you guys have run across and sugestions to a baby wipe addict?

would i be preventing a clog if i snaked my own line once a month or so?

is there any chemicals that will help break these up?

I have been using them for 3-4 years now and never had a issue at any place that i have lived, but after reading some of the horrible story's of flooded basements it makes me wonder.

i have a finished carpeted basement and that makes this even more important to me!

Comment

Working...
                              X