X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help (broke water line)...

I just stumbled on this sight. It looks like there is some really usefull information on here.

I just bought my first house about nine months agoand have already managed to break a water line.

I drove a fence post through the water line that runs to the spigot on the side of the house. I was hoping that there is someone on here that could walk me through the repair.

The pipe that I broke is 1/2" or 3/4" copper pipe and I am assuming that I need to cut that section out and replace it with some type of sleve(after shutting off the main). I know that this is probably something that is fairly simple but I was hoping that one of you could walk me through this step by step with as much detail as possible using layman's terms(possibly w/pictures).

I am not especially gifted at this type of stuff but am hoping that I can learn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Aloha and God Bless...chris

Re: Please Help (broke water line)...

I feel your pain...but...if you don't know how to solder copper then you would be better off hiring someone who can do it. Water is the problem: you can't solder with water in the line. At the very least you'd need to have a couple of adapters soldered on your line (say CxF or CxM-this means copper-by-female or male as in pipe size) Then you could do the repair in PVC with glue, or some other materials.

I must say that if you ever do learn how to solder copper pipe, you be able to do most repairs yourself. You'll feel mighty happy with yourself too. It's not that hard to learn but procedure is everything.

Dave

Comment

found this site that tells how to solder copper (with pictures).

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35749917

My dad taught me to solder but I much prefer to borrow propress from work

Could always hire a pro too. Especially if you could handle the digging.

Welcome to the forum,

Josh

Comment

ProPress could make the repair and no problem with water but are they approved for direct burial in this or other states? I know they have been out a while but you know how slow they move on updating the codes with new technologies.

If you send me a plane ticket I can come over there are solder it up real nice for ya. I love Maui best of all the islands we visited last year.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

propress is approved for underground applications

the least complicated and least expensive repair is to use a "sharkbite fitting"

they are a brass slip type of fitting. all you need is a couple of couplings and a short piece of copper to replace the out of round copper. you also need a tubing cutter to make a clean cut on the old and new line.

also a compression coupling will work too as long as there is not going to any chance of the tubing being rotated by the hose bibb. if it's far from the hose bibb, the ground will support it.

the sharkbite is avaliable at a plumbing supply house and the compression fittings are avaliable at home centers/ hardware stores and plumbing supply houses. keep in mind the compression fitting will be sized as 5/8'' od. = 1/2'' copper as we know it. 7/8'' od. = 3/4'' copper. the shark bite is 1/2'' = 1/2'' and 3/4'' = 3/4''

same offer for me and mrs. seat down. it's her birthday on the 4th. and i'm sure she wouldn't mind a quick plumbing repair. need 2 tickes from lax- maui. economy is fine

rick and mrs. seat down.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            ProPress could make the repair and no problem with water but are they approved for direct burial in this or other states? I know they have been out a while but you know how slow they move on updating the codes with new technologies.

If you send me a plane ticket I can come over there are solder it up real nice for ya. I love Maui best of all the islands we visited last year.
            Only because I respect Bob so much, I am willing to go along to help him. I think that Bob would agree that this will probably be about a week long project.
            the dog

Comment

Well now... so long as Chris is ponying up, I'm sure y'all wouldn't mind me coming along and playing apprentice, right?

Comment

"I think that Bob would agree that this will probably be about a week long project."

OK Dog, let's go! And don't forget to bring your board, there's plenty of great surfing there.

No doubt my wife will want to tag along, she loves Maui, but I did have a tough time getting here in the submarine, she's not fond of being underwater.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It is -10 here this morning , can I come too,
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Are compression fittings legal for burial?

Comment

it`s 20 here today with a W/C of 15 so I`d also like to come help
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

don't think chris is listening. i havn't gotten my ticket yet.

all clear, you can't go. don't you have a cable to repair

also bob was the first to ask. chris never responded to anyones help or suggestions.
                        he might be lost don't they film "lost" in hawaii

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X