Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plumber:
    Thanks Marco,

Thats much easier to read.

The UA (the pipe trades union most widely recognized is called the United Association) has the best apprenticeship programs available. The wages and benefits are generally amoung the best of all of the trades. In the interests of avoiding any animosity and fostering a free exchange of information I generally do not write much about the UA here. However, for those who excell there is a great and prosperous future with them. With your military background you will recieve preference over other similarly qualified candidates.

There are other trades in the piping industry that can be quite rewarding also. Consider pipefitting or steamfitting, these gentlemen are in great demand and usually earn all the overtime they want to accept.
    Plumber,

I don't know anything about the Florida locals, but I would reccomend looking into it for a young man in his situation.

So I agree with you.

the dog
    the dog

Comment

Marco,

As I recall you are stationed on the same base as my son. I believe his group has either left or will be leaving shortly to head back to Iraq.

Most of the large national franchise companies are flat rate companies which use their employees as whores. You will learn little about plumbing and a lot about how to take advantage of people.

Your best bet is to try and find a Union shop which will send you to school. The second best thing is to find an established non union shop and a community college which has plumbing classes.

You should try and get a mix of rough and finish plumbing along with some service work. I feel new construction is where every plumber should start as it teaches you the mechanic behind what make a good system function.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice. I have emailed a UA local chapter. You guy's have been great. Thanks a lot. I am always open to more info.
        Mark, My unit is leaving this month. I am getting out in a fewmore months so I don't have to go. Thank God. I have alredy been there(like your son), and I was not looking forward to going back. Our tasking this time is just to be IED (improvised explosive device) hunters. Sounds like fun hey!? Thank God I don't have to spend another year in Iraq away from my wife and son. I am proud to have served my country and have been to combat, but I am glad it is over.

Comment

Marco,

Thanks for your service and good luck with your career.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
          X