X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup when using washer

Recently I began having an issue where the basement tub (the only one) will backup with gray water when the washing machine empties. It's gotten worse now and the toilet next to the tub is filling as well. Fortunately neither has spilled over.

I rented a K-380 and ran it through the clean-out, which is between the tub and the washer drain and there didn't seem to be any obstructions. The auger went in and came back out easily.

There doesn't appear to be any difference after I ran the auger through the main line. This is all on the basement level:

tub--toilet-----cleanout+main vent----washer------------------alley sewer line.

I thought that maybe the main vent was blocked, so after I ran the washer and it backed up into the tub I removed the cleanout cover to allow air in. No change. It continued to drain very slowly.

Any other ideas what else it could be?

Thanks in advance...

Re: Backup when using washer

since it only affects you, the problem is in the main. i take it that the basement is not on a sewer ejector. a 380 machine is only a 3/8'' or 1/2'' cable machine. it's too small to properly clean the line. you need a larger balde and a stiffer cable. you also need to make sure that the cable is long enough to hit the stoppage.

since i don't typically snake basements here in l.a. (we don't have too many) make sure you duplicate the stoppage with standing water and rent a 3/4'' machine. k-750 or 7500. use a blade approx. 1/2'' smaller than the pipe and run it all the way till the water starts to move. then work this spot to clean the line. once cleared, continue with all the water running and continue running the machine as far out as you can go. just don't overshoot the city connection if you can help it. you could get stuck, with lack of experience.

good luck, rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

here i would say you have roots in your line. but if the tiolet flushes with no problem i'd have to hedge that wager.

i use a K75 with 7/8 cable (150 feet in 15 foot sections) and when i encounter roots it gets handed over to a company that will excavate and renew the line.

good luck and report the outcome

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Run a 3" cutter down the main line to the city main. If you dont have a good clean-out remove the toilet and go from there to the city main. If you cant get it call me
        Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 02-12-2007, 08:27 PM.
        http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Rick,

I don't have any comment on this post (I apologize to the readers), but I have a comment about your image: you're ugly.

Just kidding, but I have to say: You're not what I imagined.
          the dog

Comment

I must say Rick's picture on the Van's tennis shoe does not do him justice. Rick is really much uglier in real life.

My condolences to Mrs. Rick. She is my Hero for staying with him.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

well i guess we answered the stoppage question in the basement.

now how about the vans tennis shoes?

my buddies son has a new business. he makes custom van tennis shoes. are you saying that he does a lousey job painting "plumber rick"

or, are you saying he does a great job painting and "plumber rick" needs a makeover

i was waiting for the peanut gallery to comment

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

I'm not sure what your question is but let's just say the shoes are very flattering to you. I assume your buddies son must be an impressionist artist.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                X