Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Med gas certification

You guys are amazing!
    This is the first forum I've ventured,both informative and entertaning.I have
    not laughed like this in a long time.Your combined knowledge is absolutely
    incredible.
    Here it is,I came up 24 years non union,made a lot of plumbing contractors
    a lot of money.In return I received an education through production,custom
    residential,and commercial stopping at the level of medical gas certification.
    My contractors and myself are having a hard time accepting the fact that
    so many so called professionals are doing the least amount of work for the
    most amount of money,too many jobs are being hacked.
    Any suggestions how I can educate myself so I can test to become
    certified.
    Brought a nice big juicy raw steak to throw over the fence before I go
    into your back yard.

Re: Med gas certification

I believe you will need to attend a course before you can take the test. There are probable classes at some community colleges or check with the PHCC. You may also want to call NITC at 213-380-6482 to find out what the requirements are for taking the test.

good luck-Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks Mark,its always easier when someone with experience points another
      in the appropriate direction.
      It only took a few minutes on the internet to get on the phone with a nice
      woman who gave me the number of the Greater Los Angeles Area chapter who aparently offers some type of course in the med gas.
      Unfortunately that division is closed Feb. 5-20.
      Still, a great start.Now reasearching your other suggestions.
      Thanks for being on your A game.

Comment

in my area you have to be a licensed plumber and then you just have to silver solder one joint which the inspector cuts open to make sure you had full penatration if so you get your license if not you don't get it. The license is only good for one year.

Comment

PlumberJay,
          Apparently down here its quite a bit more involved for the non union sector.

The plumber needs to take a mandated 4 day course with a 100 question written test and then set up a series of pipe & fittings with both horizontal & vertical aspects.They didn't say,but I imagine this will have to be set up for the introduction of nitrogen.

One of your fittings is then cut out & sent back across the united states for inspection & x-ray.

One will have to show proof of brazing every 6 mo. to keep his cert. active.

It costs $675.00.

This course is held a few hundred miles from me in Pheonix Arizona,so I'll be needing to figure in trans. & hotel.

Occassionally they come to you, if you can round up 10 or more people & provide the agency with a place to conduct their business.

This is offered through ToUtahNow's people at
          the National Institute Testing Center.

Comment

Do you have to do your brazing with nitrogen flowing through the pipe so there is no oxidation on the inside?

We learn about Med gas in level 2 plumbing apprentice schoool up here in Canada. Only the theory and technical stuff behind it. The real work is done learning on the job with a contractor who does this type of work.

Comment

Scott K

The people who schedule the courses said nothing about the nitrogen purge to displace the oxygen so one doesn't polute the system with the impurities connected when brazing in the open air.

Is that oxidation? The term I've heard my union friend who is not part of this forum is"carbon".I'm not sure.But within a matter of minutes I am fairly possitive we will have our answer.

Comment

Carbon - oxidation - yes. You are supposed to flow nitrogen through the joint when you braze it. You can't have any carbon/oxidation built up on the inside (the black stuff when you braze copper) and the nitrogen helps remove/prevent this as you braze. I believe it's something like 10 cubic feet per hour if you're brazing 1/2" and 3/4" and something like 15 cubic feet per hour for anything 1" or more.

Where I live the testing agencies standard practice is to cut open a joint and check the braze for interior oxidation (after doing a leak test of 150 PSI for most lines). If there is interior oxidation in that one joint, they cut open the joint above, and below it, plus 3 other random ones. IF there is any oxidation in any of these next 5, they require you to rip out all your copper and start again. I think they do this on virtually every system.

There is also strict rules about what you can test the lines with depending on the type of medical gas that will be in the system (this is from where I live anyways). I believe nitrogen is very common. You can not use air I know that.

I heard a story about a plumbing company that did a medical gas system in a remote hospital in the Province I live in. The inspector/testing agency shows up and asks them what they filled up the system with (just to be sure). They said "We're plumbers, it's filled up with water." FAIL! Since Medical gas pipe has to be medically degreased, you have to be very sure/specific about what you test it with, with respect to the gas that will be used.

Comment

nitrogen is used as it's an inert gas and is moisture free. these lines need to be pure and free of contaminates.

since it displaces the air in the system. no carbon can develope since there is no longer any oxygen in the pipe.

the reason why 100% penetration is to eliminate any voids where dirt or germs can deposit.

on a regular domestic water system, 25% penetration is considered acceptable.

rick.

ps. i never attempted to get my med gas license. or my backflow lic.

too many other things to worry about.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Scott k.
                    Have you done work on a med gas system before. I am not arguing with your knowledge on it but i would just be very surprise if the med gas inspector would actually cut open your system to check it.
                    Around my area that does not happen at all.
                    All the inspector does is varify your tie in location and watch you do that and then when it is tied in they do a purity test out of the heads in the rooms. They also make sure the alarm panel is working correctly.

Comment

I've never done a med gas system before, but I've talked to guys in school who have, but most of what I posted above is what I learned in school. In level 2 apprentice school we have a guy from the independant testing agency (CANTEST) that tests Med gas systems in our Provincial hospitals when they are installed come in and talk to us, do a slideshow, answer our Q's, etc. This is the testing procedure that he described to us, as well as in our reading material.

Comment

Everybody in my local gets med-gas certified in their 5th year. The test is given by an outside guy, so it's not a gimme. If you flunk, you don't journey out. I got my cert, but haven't kept it current, I would have to retake the entire class, I won't because it really doesn't help me. I own my shop and don't do construction, just service and repair.

Comment

Working...
                        X