X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Time Grossest Jobs

Some of the stories that you hear about from people on farms. It's really gross.
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT

Comment

Two instances come to mind.
      The time we had a trenching machine digging for a sewer line between the forms of a tilt up and he hit a bag that contained about 5 gallons of goo from a decomposed dog carcass impressed on me how certain smells create instant retching.... and pissed off machine operators.

A GC who I'd done some work for at a Catholic college near by called to say the school was experiencing a strange and powerful smell emanating from one of their buildings. Seems a grease interceptor set into the floor had been leaking into the crawl space below for quite some time and the maintenance staff would have nothing to do with it. Upon an inspection I could immediately tell that every time the wind would change a different part of campus would be treated to an ungodly smell. Figuring out my plan of attack, I informed the person in charge that I'd take care of the problem under one condition, which was that whatever I charged them, they would pay without argument. Terms agreed upon, my brother and I crawled under the building with suits, masks and a 50 pound bag of lime which we spread generously on the bug infested area of spillage. A week later, under much better olfactory conditions, we went back and changed out the grease trap. As agreed, there was no complaining heard upon receipt of my bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
        Two instances come to mind.
        The time we had a trenching machine digging for a sewer line between the forms of a tilt up and he hit a bag that contained about 5 gallons of goo from a decomposed dog carcass impressed on me how certain smells create instant retching.... and pissed off machine operators.

A GC who I'd done some work for at a Catholic college near by called to say the school was experiencing a strange and powerful smell emanating from one of their buildings. Seems a grease interceptor set into the floor had been leaking into the crawl space below for quite some time and the maintenance staff would have nothing to do with it. Upon an inspection I could immediately tell that every time the wind would change a different part of campus would be treated to an ungodly smell. Figuring out my plan of attack, I informed the person in charge that I'd take care of the problem under one condition, which was that whatever I charged them, they would pay without argument. Terms agreed upon, my brother and I crawled under the building with suits, masks and a 50 pound bag of lime which we spread generously on the bug infested area of spillage. A week later, under much better olfactory conditions, we went back and changed out the grease trap. As agreed, there was no complaining heard upon receipt of my bill.

Nice trick with the lime
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

BHD, I'm with you on the farm animals, it's not that bad, I run registered charolais and preg check and AI myself, have pulled several calves and helped the vet do a c-section. Getting a little wet warm mushy grass on you is nothing. Talk about stink is when the barn was cleaned out after a couple of years, smelled like ammonia and would take your breath.

Worst on the job would have been at the trash collection place. The regular garbage trucks would come in and dump their loads into a giant pit, a huge dozer and a track hoe were in the pit and would reload into tractor trailers. The smell was over powering but after three or four days kind of got used to it. One day we were stacking up the sprinkler riser and a smell hit us and Ihad to go outside for fresh air. Asked on of the employees what the heck was in that load, and he replied it was from a super market where they dump all of the bad meat. So imagine sitting in a dumpster in the middle of summer, 100* weather, putrid rotten meat, a dumpster full. It was so strong you could taste it.

Still makes me quiver just thinking about it.

G3

Comment

Slum Mobile Park ! Vinyl Siding Sealed to the Dirt Sewer Line came apart Under Unit 105 Degree Heat ! Sewage Flowing For about 3 months !

Got it Cleaned Up and New Drain Re-Plumbed ... Lots Of rent a Drunks and Bags of Lime ...

Pulled a fetus Out of a Drain at a Crack House (With retrieving Auger)! Crack Whores had all moved Out ... Put the remains in Black garbage Bag Tossed it in Dumpster ... I charge more for Stems and Needles !

Dave

Comment

Wasn't Me! Years ago a whale washed up on stinson beach Marin Co. Ca. They had an excavator dig a pit and bury it. After a big storm had passed the next winter a young man was taking a winter night ride his dirt bike. A lot of sand had washed away. He ended up
              in the rotting whale carcass!
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

This is one of my gross stories from a past thread I posted about latex gloves.

I'm too tired right now to write about another one
                . I just copied and pasted this story. Enjoy!

When I worked for a local rooter co. years ago I had to go to a gay bar to unstop a sewer during "Southern Decadence", which is a gay festival held in the French Quarter every year. Many thousands of gay men from around the country pack the quarter dressed as women, sailors, and cops, etc. during the festival.

So I get to the bar, which is packed, loud dance music playing, and the nearest bartender yells to me it's the downstairs restroom over there. I went into the restroom and open the first stall door.

There are two guys in there. Do I need to elaborate?

So I go back to see the bartender, and yell to get his attention. He comes over and as I tell him that there are two guys f'n in the stall, I see a naked pair of legs pass between us belonging to the 1/2 naked male stripper that's dancing on the bar. He immediately comes from behind the bar, goes to the stall. pushes the door open and kicks the two guys out.

It's worse than I thought. The commode is pushed to the side because of the loose bolts, and there's toilet paper piled on the floor. Somebody took a dump on the floor. I' m guessing it's because they did not want to sit on the "dirty" seat. Oh and there is a cup surrounded by waste and T.P. in the bowl.

I'm ready to run.

I look at my latex gloves to make sure there are no holes in them, and to think some plumbers laugh at me for wearing latex gloves. I don't even want to touch anything with my gloves. totally skeeved at the situation and the things I've seen.

I push the commode with my foot back into position over the flange. I reach into the commode and pull out the cup, and think, let's flush it and see what happens. It rises all the way to the top, I say "F", and it flushes, YES!!!

I flush it two more times, and it works. I tighten one of the bolts with my channel locks that I had brought in with me. The other bolt spins in place, to hell with it, I'm out.

Collect, No Warranty, Have a nice day.

Tell the dispatcher, they call again, IT'S SOMEBODY ELSE'S TURN

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I was just starting out in the plumbing biz part time after school. We had a 4" clay sewer pipe stopped up. My co-worker knocked a hole in the pipe and OMG the nastiest thing I have ever seen started to flow from the pipe. It looked like a chocolatey poo milk shake. By this time I'm thinking what have I got myself into with this kinda work and my co worker is gagging and dry heaving. Seemed like it flowed a good 5 min. We ran the roto rooter and got it unplugged. It ended being what we called little white mice (with a string), if you get my drift.

Comment

THIS BEATS THEM ALL!................I've had plenty of gross encounters with stinky raw sewage and such over the years, but the all time worst was when I had to crawl under a moblehome to repair multiple gray polybutylene waterpipe leaks. Those of you familair with moblehomes know when an underfloor leak shows up it fills the vapor barrier with water like a swimming pool and the plumber must pop holes and cut slits though it to drain out the water usually getting drenched in the process. As I was cutting the vapor barrier away in one spot to access the leaking pb pipe chunks of rotting stinking flesh and bones from a dead possum came pouring out all over my overalls and face and some got into my mouth and I started spitting out bones and teeth from that rotten animal. I quickly crawled out from under that moble and started gagging and coughing, and blowing chunks! The owner ran up to me and asked if I was okay and I told him what happened and then started throwing up again! This memory is etched in my mind forever and when I tell the story I still start gagging and coughing! Yes, I was payed well that day, but it still was not enough for my permanent emotional scars. Give me sewage any day. That I can handle, for I am a Plumber!
                    Last edited by plumb4life; 03-06-2009, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X