California-CPVC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California-CPVC

It looks like California is one step closer to CPVC.

http://csemag.com/article/CA6418589.html

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: California-CPVC

Man I have got to get out of this small box I'm in.The article says the other 49 states are using cpvc for hot and cold.Where have I been.

I saw what happened the fire sprinkler industry switched over (residential).

Better buy stock in boeing aircraft.There's going to be alot of home developers buying jets over the next few years.

Comment

thanks mark. i heard rumors about this last week while at dinner with a couple of friends. they thought it was pex.

so how about pex? where do we stand on that?

i just put an expansion tank on my buddies travel trailer. the lines were pex and i spliced into it with a sharkbite fitting

now the relief valve doesn't open when the water heater, heats up.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Everyone I've talked to who has used CPVC says it's junk for water lines because it's a little on the brittle side, or so I've heard.

As far as Pex is concerned, the only reason I would prefer Copper over Pex is because of the flow rates. 1/2" Pex flows 2/3's as well as 1/2" copper. The pex fittings go inside the pipe, where as copper fittings are at least as large as the pipe. Most Pex pipes now carry a 25 year warranty - well, most anyways. So that's reassuring. Copper has no warranty, only a strong reputation. Pex sure saves time in a lot of cases, and is much cheaper with today's rates. I'm starting to become keen on Reyhau. My company uses this pipe although my experience with it is a bit limited. Reyhau is a form of Pex that you can use wirsbo fittings, traditional crimp ring fittings, or the Everlock system and it's all covered by their warranty supposedly. I've grown to like Kitec after I learned there was reeming tool for it. That stuff holds rock solid for water tests. Just a bit finicky bending it and pulling it through Wilson Joists and things like that.

Comment

There is a tract of homes here in southern california that has the pex and their having problems with rodents chewing through and causing leaks.Also I've seen the product installed and noticed its just kind of laying there with less strapping than we use to secure our even more rigid copper.Why wouldn't this plastic hose just slam,vibrate and knock all over the place being its so flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            There is a tract of homes here in southern california that has the pex and their having problems with rodents chewing through and causing leaks.Also I've seen the product installed and noticed its just kind of laying there with less strapping than we use to secure our even more rigid copper.Why wouldn't this plastic hose just slam,vibrate and knock all over the place being its so flexible.
            drty, do you know for a fact the rats are eating the pex? or is it a rumor

why pex and not abs, cpvc, romex what, the rats want a drink

there is a bigger expansion/ contraction rate with pex. can't strap too tight, but you need to support the line.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,the plumbing contractor who installed the pex system told me he had to fix a few leaks caused by rats.I will check back with him and see if he was repeating a story for small talk or what.The tract is in Calabasas Ca. the last phase was completed over two years ago.

Comment

Check with each manufacturer - they will have specs for how often/far you should clip their various pipes. Copper is in most codes for hanging/bracing, etc, but Pex is determined in most cases by the manufacturer. There is a token mention of Pex for hanging/support in my local (BC) code book, but most inspectors will say the manufactureres specs hold more weight and will require you to go with those. I always try and run my pex, with the exception of those factory bends, in a nice straight line like I would run copper. It looks a hell of a lot nicer in the end and is predictable. Drill out all the studs (if that's where they're going) nice and straight as an arrow to pull the pipe through, run them striaght down studs. I'm a huge fan of supporting the supply copper bends firmly so they don't move so you have a nice solid thing to push on when you're putting your angle or straight stop on while doing finishing.

As for rats - that's news to me. I thought this stuff was pretty inert?

When I used to work at a Pub when I was younger, the rats would sometimes chew on the beer lines going up a floor into the bar from the kegs in the downstairs cooler. At least once a month we'd have to cut out the drywall in the ceiling to couple a beer line. It wasnt' pex pipe containing the beer though, but I guess the rats could smell it through the line or who knows?

Comment

Just talked to the production housing plumbing contractor.He has put in approximately 400 homes in pex.The rats were definately a problem a few years ago before he started using color coded pipe.They were only interested in the clear pex.

As far as cpvc some of the plumbing contractors have been using it in So. Calif. in areas where the water itself has had corrosive properties,ie.Valencia.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    Just talked to the production housing plumbing contractor.He has put in approximately 400 homes in pex.The rats were definately a problem a few years ago before he started using color coded pipe.They were only interested in the clear pex.

As far as cpvc some of the plumbing contractors have been using it in So. Calif. in areas where the water itself has had corrosive properties,ie.Valencia.
                    i thought animals were color blind? or was that just dog's? no offence dog

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X