X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump

i have an above ground pump that's a sears 20/40 PSI, and lately it's been losing pressure. everytime the culprit ends up being the pressure switch where rust from the pump clogs up the line and the elbow. i keep cleaning it out and it works fine for another couple of months, and i have to repeat the process. do i need a new pump to solve this, since this one is almost 20 years old?
    ~**John Hull**~

Re: water pump

Perhaps a new pump that's all stainless steel construction...

Comment

A new pump could solve the problem but I wouldn't bet money on it. The pipe in the well is probably the culprit. If it is metal pipe it could be the source. The screen on the foot valve could have disintegrated as well and allows rust from the well into the system.

Depending on the pump you could relocate the switch and due away with the little line that feeds the switch.

If you post a picture of it I could tell you a bit more. What type of well do you have?

Comment

You might get a second pressure switch and try it. Then clean up the one you have just in case you do need it. Sometimes installing a T fitting with the switch on the side rather than on the end or inline can help. Pictures would be helpful.

Comment

i'll take a picture and post them sunday hopefully and maybe it will help a little. i'm not sure, but i think the line in the well itself is PVC, but then again i could be wrong or it could have a metal foot valve. the well is a shallow well, only about 50 feet deep and the pump is above ground. if i relocted the switch, where would i put it comin off of? the pressure tank?
          ~**John Hull**~

Comment

Working...
          X