X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoity Toity

The company I am with does high end custom homes (some 10+ million dollar ones). We plumb the water/drainage as well as do some high end heating systems (Geothermal, in floor radiant, etc - some of it cutting edge). We've also taken on a leeds platinum heating project. This is a commercial job that is an office plant right next to an incinerator. We are running boiler/process water to a heat exchanger to heat the water for the in floor heating in the building. This building has a rain water flush tank to for the toilets, and a waterless urinal, and an indirect heating hot water tank from the heat exchanger. It also has a cooling exchanger to cool the floors in the Summer.
    I haven't been with this company very long but we do some fairly interesting and intricate installations. Some of it new and interesting to see. AT one of our high end homes we got hot water recirc, chilled cold water with a recirc system, those types of things.

I'm just curious what you guys have seen or done in the way of hoity toity type installations? What new and interesting type things have you done or installed? Anything "wild" or cutting edge? The plumber I work under has done custom shower systems with like 7 or 8 heads, a bunch of diverters - he said one of these custom showers took him 20 hours in labour to do it was that intricate. One of my instructors at school used to own his own company and he said he's done things like install showers with a 7 speaker surround sound and tv's built into the wall of the shower.

Re: Hoity Toity

The company I work for is the largest residential housing contractor in northern Alberta. The bulk of our work is spec homes and multi-family housing but we do a fair bit of high end stuff aswell. I wouldn't really say its "wild or cutting edge" but I've done alot of custom shower systems. Multiple heads, diverters, thermatic volume controls and the like. Body spray systems and steam showers are really popular right now. I've done a few showers with sound systems,dvd/cd and tv. Some of the aero jet tub and jaccuzzi tub installs can get fairly elaborate and super expensive. Heating systems are quite common up here, nothing really out of the ordinary, although the technology has come a long way with the computer controled systems etc... Most of the high end homes have water treatment systems that can get really fancy shmancy aswell.
    You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Hondahead - have you ever heard of Teca? (http://www.teca.org) ?

This was the group that was formerly the Residential Hot Water Heating Association and some other group coming together. My boss sits on the meeting group. They have just received word from ITA (Industry Training Authority) that they can create curriculum for an entirely new trade called something like Heating Systems technologist. It is in sense a heating trades certification all on it's own that does Geothermal/Radiant/Forced Air, etc. My boss is supposedly helping write some of the curriculum, and because I work for his company, we basically get the education part of it all on the job as well as the work experience part.

The bigger problem with heating is there isn't any real regulatory authority for ensuring sound installation practicies with heating installations. It's always been something that has sort of been tacked on either to building inspectors and/or plumbing inspectors jobs. The RWHA has always tried to develop, and now Teca has, developed a seperate trade and hopefully some specific code requirements and such, for heating. It'll be interesting to see what pans out from this.

Comment

Alberta has been working towards that goal for a few years now. Here in Alberta we have the CSA B214-01 Installation Code for Hydronic Heating Systems which is the regulatory authority for ensuring sound installation practicies with heating installations. N.A.I.T. already has a course in place. LOOK HERE (your link didn't work for me?)

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Whoops - my bad its http://www.teca.ca

Comment

obviously I have never put in systems like this.. I am just a computer guys.

I do have a question about these multi head showers though. How do you get enough pressure in the system to be able to run 8 shower heads at the same time. What size of line do these houses have coming in? Also how much do some of these systems cost to put in.

Just Curious.

Josh

Comment

The largest water service I've seen is a 2" line feeding into a 15,000 square ft. house.

The pressure at the street was 120 lbs. so we had to install a pressure reducing valve to get it down to 80 before it entered the house.

All shower heads, body sprays etc. have a required amount of volume to work as were designed.The more devices,the more volume one needs. its kind of like when you turn all the sprinklers on in you yard at the same time.

There are a few different configurations one could use to get as much water into an area,If so desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                How do you get enough pressure in the system to be able to run 8 shower heads at the same time.What size of line do these houses have coming in?
                Pressure is only one factor, equally important are volume and velocity. Most people confuse velocity with pressure. For example, you have a garden hose runnig wide open, you take your thumb and block off part of the flow, you've increased the velocity not the pressure.

The average static supply pressure to a residence is between 40 and 80psi (most codes limit the static supply pressure to 80psi) Most homes have a 1" supply. Your typical multi head shower or body spray sytem will have 3/4" supplies which can deliver about 20gpm(dependind on dynamic supply pressure). Many of these sytems also employ balacing loops between heads and decreasing pipe size from 3/4" to 1/2" as you get farther from the supply, this is to keep velocity up.

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                Also how much do some of these systems cost to put in.
                A low end system would be about 3K, high end would be 15k+
                Last edited by Hondahead; 03-02-2007, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X