Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Water Heater Life Span??

Rick

didnt realise the cost of water heaters in US.youre right about not putting too much time into them.

herea 200 litre electric storage heater about $700. mr average wants them to last a while. me too!

Comment

I have a rheem from '83 as well. I was going to replace it when i moved in just because it was so old, but it hasnt given me a problem yet
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

We live in a throwout society. Hot water tank companies want you to be replacing them about as long as the warranty lasts. Last I heard, although I haven't done it because I'm not a service plumber nor do I do much in the way of hot water tank RE and RE's is those magnesium anodes are very difficult to replace now a days supposedly (maybe you guys can fill me in a bit more) - gee I wonder why? If word ever got out that putting in a better one, or replacing your aged anode would help extend the life of your tank god only knows what would happen to the hot water tank companies.

Comment

I've heard that about the anode. A guy I know who is a rheem rep also told me the tank liners about about half as thick as 20 years ago.

Comment

Water temp is also a factor. The corrosion rate (expressed in lbs/kgs of metal lost per year) doubles for every 10 degrees over 140. If a large area of metal is exposed, it will last a while. If there is a pinhole or crack in the liner, it will drill through it in no time once the anodes are gone if the piping to the ground is all metal or if the tank is bonded to the electrical ground.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

most of the hot water heaters in our area usually are pushing 30 to 40 years, before replacement, and very few leaks (have never seen one replaced do to leaks), I put mine in early 1980's and the one in my folks house in town was installed in 1976, I have one in the barn that is I am sure a 1960's manufacture, mineral build up in the tanks is the normal reason that there replaced or for life style changes, (need of more hot water),
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

on some newer heaters the anode hangs off the hot (left) side nipple. you will see it if you ever have a reverse install and have to swap the dip tube side. if its a heater with FIP connections (no pre installed nipples) its under the top sheet metal pannel. i think they try to hide them

as far as brands go anymore its a joke......
                A.O SMITH, RELIANCE, WHIRLPOOL, APOLLO, STATE, MAYTAG, AMERICAN, GSW and JOHN WOOD are all made by the same company.

Rheem, Ruud and RICHMOND are also the same company

I think bradford white is a single company but i could be wrong

around here they last about 10 years

Comment

Years ago I swithched to bradfords because A.O. Smith was having problems. Now because of this thread I have gone back out to research and have found out that a local plumbing supply house has stopped carrying bradford white because of problems

Comment

We have had a lot of prevailing winds out of the east this winter, which is rare. Since the combustion chamber is sealed on the the new models, the draft blows out the pilot, it can't just blow thru anymore. I have had a lot of calls to relight pilots. It's hard to make people understand these new water heaters are so much more touchy, plus they cost twice as much. Lots of unhappy campers. Tankless is looking better and better.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                      We have had a lot of prevailing winds out of the east this winter, which is rare. Since the combustion chamber is sealed on the the new models, the draft blows out the pilot, it can't just blow thru anymore. I have had a lot of calls to relight pilots.
                      sounds like a lot of easy service calls

Comment

Working...
                      X