Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bended 1" copper pipe, how to make it perfectly round?

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    Woussko,

You know what,a few days ago I was looking for a better ream/sizing tool that would work better than what I am using now.

I was looking at your tool,except from a different manufacturer,until I found out it was an expander to make sockets on the ends of pipe.Kind of like the ones frequently seen on the ends of pvc pipe (a coupling).

I remember a tool used back in the 1990's that used to pull sockets out of the sidewall of larger diameter copper pipe(called it a tee puller).

A contractor who previously trained inspectors in our area told me these types of tools were not permitted because a person was altering the manufactures specification.I'm going to have to refresh my information,but I don't believe our code allows to modify pipe or fittings.

I sure would like to use this tool
    the real tool for making tees is called a "t-drill" it's electric powered. it is an aproved method of making tees and branch lines. i own 4 of the machines. this requires you to braze the pipe into the pulled tee. that's because the socket depth is only approx. 3/8''. the nice thing about this tool is that it eliminates many costly tees and extra joints. imagine not having to purchase a 6'' x 2'' copper tee

also you eliminate the 2- 6'' soldered joints and prep. all you need to do is braze the 2'' branch line. you also need to properly notch the tube end with a double dimpler. this tool will pay for itself on the first job. the tee drills i have are able to make a 1/2''-2'' tee from a 1/2''- 6'' pipe. doesn't really pay to pull a tee from 3/4'' and smaller pipe. works great on a wall of flushometers.
    don't need 4 anymore anyone interested in a t-drill.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for saving me some steps.

Sure am glad I didn't come across one at a good deal and pass it up based on what someone said

Comment

Rick

I do like your Ridgid E-52 better. My mind was into wild rather than practical ways of doing things. Thanks for the reminder to K I S S.

Comment

rick how much for one of the T drills???

Comment

PEORIA,
            My best memmories as a teenager come from the one year I spent in a little town close to you in 1980,Manito

Comment

Mr. Rick,
              I don't doubt the person who informed about the t-drills could have been yanking me around.

I definately receive your word as fact.But have the t-drills always been allowed.I have been checking back as far as 97.If they have been its going to be alot of fun the next time I see him.

Comment

dirty, there is a difference between a t-drill and a wanna be tee drill. the process requires a double dimple and a notched pipe to be inserted into the joint. the first dimple is a stop and the second is an inspection dimple.

some of these wanna be t tools are not legal because it's a knock off short cut. just the 1/2''-2'' tubing notcher is $1500.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,

I have used one before,thats why I had mixedd emotions when you told me they were approved.First that I could have been using them all this time(even though the flexible joint might seem weak from the brazing IAPMO likes it).Then as you stated they can be pricy.

It would be nice to see myself justifying buying one someday.

Comment

Working...
                  X