Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Bended 1" copper pipe, how to make it perfectly round?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bended 1" copper pipe, how to make it perfectly round?

Hello,

I have a 1" copper pipe that is not perfectly round. I need to solder a fitting on it but the fitting doesn't fit since its not perfectly round.

How can I make it perfectly round? Is there such a tool to do this with a 1" pipe or what else?

Thank you,
    Pierre

Re: Bended 1" copper pipe, how to make it perfectly round?

there are tools to reround the copper.

is this on soft copper or hard copper?

why not just cut off this short section and connect with a new piece?

there are actual tongs? that are designed to work with soft copper and reround it. there are also swedging tools that will do this from the open end of the pipe too.

doesn't pay to purchase if it's only for a 1 time use.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Hi,

It is soft copper -- it is the water main that comes from the underground of the house. I can't cut it ;-)

Let me know of the tool to do this, I build this house myself and I plan to do another one in 2 years. Perhaps I should just buy it instead of calling a plumber!

Thank you.

Comment

the "rems" company makes a pair of tongs to reround the soft copper. a swedging tool is sort of like the ring sizer a jeweler uses to size rings. you can get one at a plumbing or hvac supply house. don't overhit the tool oryou will oversize the tubing.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

http://www.reedmfgco.com/index.html?...ener_rerounder

Comment

id suggest expanding the end of the pipe and fitting a short straight peice before the bend.

i know this raises issues of joint tolerance when using solder.
            I pretty much silver braze everything which makes tolerances less critical.

Comment

Thanx everyone for all the great suggestions!

How about the following tool, I'm looking at the E-52 for a 1" water copper pipe.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Hammer-Type-Flaring-Tools

Pierre

Comment

Well if it's a one time use maybe you can use a hardwood dowel ?!
                It's hard to say without seeing the situation...

Comment

Belanger,

The tool you are looking at along as well as a wooden dowel should work fine as long as you have not used a cutting wheel device.

If there is a ridge inside of the pipe it will have to be removed before using something inside of the pipe.

Working with the ridge remaining,one really might want to look into the items Plumber Rick suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by belanger View Post
                    Thanx everyone for all the great suggestions!

How about the following tool, I'm looking at the E-52 for a 1" water copper pipe.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Hammer-Type-Flaring-Tools

Pierre
                    that will work fine. just don't overdrive the flaring tool too deep or you'll be using flare nuts istead of solder joints

i looked at the ridgid swedge set and it only went up to 5/8''. the flare tool will subsitute just fine with care.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I bought something on e-Bay called the "Plumber's dream tool" it consists of 3 tools to reround pipe, 1/2, 3/4 and 1" You tap it on with a hammer, it's saved my butt many times. Cheap, too.

Comment

Why can't you cut it?

Worst case I would round it enough to make it fit, then braze it with silver.
                        the dog

Comment

I'm sure this cost some good money, but it might work pretty well. If you did end up using it a good bit, it may pay off. I want to both see and price this setup. I bet for my needs the $ will make me back off fast, but then a plumber that could use it regularly might really go for one of the kits.

http://ridgid.com/Tools/Model-S-Tube-Expander

I'm keeping my eyes open as I remember seeing just the tool and it was very simple. If I find it, I'll post more.

Comment

Woussko,

You know what,a few days ago I was looking for a better ream/sizing tool that would work better than what I am using now.

I was looking at your tool,except from a different manufacturer,until I found out it was an expander to make sockets on the ends of pipe.Kind of like the ones frequently seen on the ends of pvc pipe (a coupling).

I remember a tool used back in the 1990's that used to pull sockets out of the sidewall of larger diameter copper pipe(called it a tee puller).

A contractor who previously trained inspectors in our area told me these types of tools were not permitted because a person was altering the manufactures specification.I'm going to have to refresh my information,but I don't believe our code allows to modify pipe or fittings.

I sure would like to use this tool

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                              I'm sure this cost some good money, but it might work pretty well. If you did end up using it a good bit, it may pay off. I want to both see and price this setup. I bet for my needs the $ will make me back off fast, but then a plumber that could use it regularly might really go for one of the kits.

http://ridgid.com/Tools/Model-S-Tube-Expander

I'm keeping my eyes open as I remember seeing just the tool and it was very simple. If I find it, I'll post more.
                              this is more designed for elimnating couplings than to reround tubing. also pretty pricey. i have a set for pex pipe and it's identical. a hammer type flaring tool as mentioned earlier is much more cost effictive and accurate.

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                              X