Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flushing a hot water tank

hey

my hot water tank is about 2 years old and has never been flushed. How do i flush a gas powered hot water tank to drain the sediment out of it?

Re: flushing a hot water tank

Leave water supply to water heater on

connect hose to drain valve at the bottom of the heater.

I've killed grass putting hose in yard.

flush with d.v. fully open,more the better 20-40 gal.

I like to chose a place for the hose so i can see the discharge sediment.

Comment

I like to shut off the water first and completely drain the tank. Then when ive hooked up my garden hose, i turn the water on and off quickly a few times to try and loosen up any build up if possible. Works best with a ball valve
      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        Leave water supply to water heater on

connect hose to drain valve at the bottom of the heater.

I've killed grass putting hose in yard.

flush with d.v. fully open,more the better 20-40 gal.

I like to chose a place for the hose so i can see the discharge sediment.
        i like to discharge into a 5 gallon bucket. it tends to trap the good stuff that's flushed out.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
          I like to shut off the water first and completely drain the tank. Then when ive hooked up my garden hose, i turn the water on and off quickly a few times to try and loosen up any build up if possible. Works best with a ball valve
          Correct me if I am wrong, but if you completely drain the tank you should turn off power to the water heater (if electric) so you don't burn up the elements. Not sure what you need to do if gas though (if anything)??
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

shut the gas or power.

in the larger commercial heaters, there are hand hole cleanouts. these require you to empty the heater and unbolt the hand hole c/o. reach in and scrape and wash out the heater, a real pain, and at least 1 hour to 2 hours to drain, clean, replace the gasket, and refill. if you do this process 2 times a year as suggested by the heater co. hiring a plumber to do this will cost more in the long run, than the savings of prolonging the life of a $2000. heater.

i still have tank gaskets that are getting old. i don't think i've removed a hand hole in 5 years

most of my commercial installations are tankless type boilers. these require tube cleaning, but i've never done it. the heater bundles, water ways, tend to last 10 years untouched. it takes 2 hours to tear down and replace.

the new tankless heaters for household use, do require deliming, or you void the warranty. this is something that will be a large market as the number of tankless installations go up.

just my own examples.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X