Ridgid No. 42 4 Wheel Pipe Cutter Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid No. 42 4 Wheel Pipe Cutter Question

Are the parts between the Ridgid 42 and 42A model 4 wheel pipe cutters interchangeable? I have recenty purchased a model 42 cutter off E-bay and would like to purchase new cutting wheels for the tool.

I have been conducting research on the net related to this cutter, but all references are for the 42A model not the 42. The diffrence is that the 42 model cuts 1/2" - 2" pipe vs the 42A 3/4" - 2" pipe. Can anyone tell me if the 42A wheel kit or cutters will work in the 42 model?

What would be the best resource to use to order/find the ridgid cutting wheels for this model?

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: Ridgid No. 42 4 Wheel Pipe Cutter Question

I consider it more than likely someone on this forum has your answer.

During business hours,a phone call to ridgid has frequently been the shortest path for me in a case like this.

Once you find your information maybe your local plumbing supply house have the wheels in stock.
    Last edited by drtyhands; 03-04-2007, 04:08 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Thanks drtyhands....

I have a good deal of galvanized to cut and will certainly need the new cutting wheels at some point..... Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I will as well try contacting Ridgid.

Comment

PWH1

If all else fails, you might take your model 42 pipe cutter wheels to several good plumbing supply houses and see if they have the wheels for the 42A. Then make sure they match. Also, some of the old timers (at plumbing supply) might have an old RIDGID catalog showing that model.

Comment

Thanks... I have a few in my area. Philips Bro's Supply here locally may have or be able to order new cutting wheels for me.

Comment

PWH1,

I'm just trying to save you a step here.

If the supply house in your area is anything like the ones like I have here I would give the forum some more time.Some of the posters who haven't rang in yet have pretty busy schedules.

If you don't have your answers by the time you go to the supply house call ridgid.Any more the supply houses aren't as well informed as they used to be.

Comment

drtyhands,

I will keep checking the form for any responses to my inquiry. I have as well sent off an email to the folks at Ridgid Customer Service.

Thanks again.

Comment

pwh1, i'm not sure about the differences in the 2 cutters or if the cutting wheels will swap.

but i do know if you plan on threading any of this gal pipe, cut with a 4 wheel cutter, you'll be in trouble

there will be an external ridge that will have to be debured to allow for threading on a manual machine. an electric bench top threader can absorb the burr, but still not a wise choice.

are you using this cutter for demo work

i have used a #2 a with 3 cutting wheels and it needs a little more swing than a 4 wheel.

i also have a chain type pipe and tubing cutter that is similar to a scaled down snap cutter. it's great for copper in confined areas. easy to debur after cutting.

if you remove a cutting wheel, there will be a part/ model # on the side of the wheel. the # will allow for an easy cross reference to current cutters.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

pwh1,
                  I checked back in to some older parts breakdowns I have here form the sixties and the 42 Cutter used the following parts:

Cutter Wheel Model F-3 cat# 33105
                  Wheel Pin - Model F-9 cat # 34780
                  Rolls - Model # F-8 cat# 34775 (Optional if you want to exchange two cutter wheels with two rolls to use as standard cutter and alleviate pronounced burr on OD of pipe)

I hope this is of some assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    but i do know if you plan on threading any of this gal pipe, cut with a 4 wheel cutter, you'll be in trouble

there will be an external ridge that will have to be debured to allow for threading on a manual machine. an electric bench top threader can absorb the burr, but still not a wise choice.
                    Will a power 700 be able to get past the extrenal ridge? I'm looking at purchasing a RIGID pipe cutter. I've been using my cheapo Harbor Freight chop saw to cut galvanized pipe and it doesn't always leave a perfect cut.

Comment

Working...
                    X