Sink machine stuck in drain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sink machine stuck in drain

Any tips on how to get a stuck cable back out?

Re: Sink machine stuck in drain

Yeah, pull on it!

You might have to remove the trap to free it up...

Comment

usually putting the machine or turning the cable in reverse will help free it up.

if this is a hand operated machine/ non electric. try turning it backwards while using a little upward force. if you can remove the cable from the drum, you can use a cordless drill in slow speed to help.

is it possible that the cable went up the vent?

or did you do like i did once

i once had a back to back sink from 1 apartment to another apatment unit. didn't know it was a back to back. never worked there before. i ran the snake from my sink and it got stuck.after trying everything, i came back when the neighbor came home. the snake went into the other sink trap, came out onto the floor, under the door and grabed a towel

it would have been more amazing if i pulled the towel out from the sink

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

It just went from bad to worse. The hand crank broke so I put the power drill on it and tried to slowly reverse it out like you said but the line broke in the pipe. This cant be good.

Comment

Originally posted by sedrico View Post
          It just went from bad to worse. The hand crank broke so I put the power drill on it and tried to slowly reverse it out like you said but the line broke in the pipe. This cant be good.

no not good.

how much cable is in the drain?

how much cable is left in the drum?

do you know how far down the line the cable broke?

you might get lucky and be able to reach it by taking off the trap?

still not sure about your exact situation. need a little more info.

is your house a slab or a crawl space?

you might try my suggestion about removing the trap and trying to reach the end of the cable.

all else fails, a pro will be able to help

sorry

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

how much cable is in the drain?

All but about 6 inches.

how much cable is left in the drum?

Nothing.

do you know how far down the line the cable broke?

It broke close to the pipe.

you might get lucky and be able to reach it by taking off the trap?

I forgot to say, I removed the trap and fed it straight into the pipe.

is your house a slab or a crawl space?

Crawl Space.

I think you're right. Time to let the pro's handle it.

Comment

Ouch... this is one of those type of projects that gets me incredibly frustrated. No telling what it did with that much cable out.

Make sure you let us know how it turns out sedrico. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Josh

Comment

Partly off subject,
                I All most got mine stuck in a drain, worked and worked and finally went and looked in the craw space and the old iron pipe had rusted and corroded to the point that the cable had worked through the pipe and was knotting up, under the house, the problem was not the drain but the pipe, replaced the pipe and it worked fine, but the mess under the house was not fun to work in,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

This is why you should always call a "Pro Drain Cleaner"
                  The DIY people think it`s sooooooooo easy
                  Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 03-06-2007, 08:41 PM.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Not all pros are pros. I had this plumber come out to snake the main line because of a sewage back-up recently. It's a root problem because this happened four years ago and I had it snaked and the plumber pulled out lots of roots from the ficus tree in the street. I pulled the toilet before he showed up to make it easier for him to have access to the clean-out which is behind the john. Anyway, this clown screwed around for 3 hours and made a mess and couldn't get through the blockage with his snake. He was very unprofessional and didn't seem like he know what he was doing. The drum machine he had was undersized (3/8"cable) and the snake kept binding and would not cut into the root. I could tell his equipment was old and really worn. His machine wasn't shrouded and so he sprayed crap all over the walls from the spinning drum. After much cursing and trowing wrenches, he finally gave up and said he'd have to send someone out next day with a camera?! He charged $150 for nothing and left. Never called me back to set up camera appointment.
                    Next day I called a different plumber and he looked professional and came with a van full of equipment. Right away he said he couldn't run a camera because of the standing water. He brought out a large drum machine with a 5/8" cable and within 15 minutes pulled a big root ball. Problem solved. I had him run his SeeSnake anyway just to check the condition of the pipes. Sure enough the problem was at the ficus tree approx 75' out. He was a nice young, polite guy, who knew what he was talking about and knew what he was doing. Anyway, he charged me $450 which is kind of high, but at least he was professional and did the job right.

Comment

Maybe a cable clamp and a come-a-long.

Comment

Even pros can get themselves in trouble so do not feel bad.

A couple of observations though:

1. If you have a full top sink cable stuck in your drain you probable ran your top snake a lot further than you should have. Ten feet could be too far for a top snake. You may have ended up in too large of a pipe and knotted the thing up. At this point you may want to consult a pro.

2. The unprofessional plumber who came out to snake a root ball from your main line with a 3/8" cable used too small of a cable.

3. The professional looking plumber who came out to snake a root ball from your main line with a 5/8" cable used too small of a cable.

Good luck-Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          Even pros can get themselves in trouble so do not feel bad.

A couple of observations though:

1. If you have a full top sink cable stuck in your drain you probable ran your top snake a lot further than you should have. Ten feet could be too far for a top snake. You may have ended up in too large of a pipe and knotted the thing up. At this point you may want to consult a pro.

2. The unprofessional plumber who came out to snake a root ball from your main line with a 3/8" cable used too small of a cable.

3. The professional looking plumber who came out to snake a root ball from your main line with a 5/8" cable used too small of a cable.

Good luck-Mark
                          i use a K-75 with 7/8 cable and roots are a bear. ficus, rubber trees, and ming trees, are a local problem.

did a job last week where there were 8 dwarf ficus trees just blocking one side of the house. pulled back enough root matter to fill a 2 gallon bucket and called the excavater in. the owner wouldn't let me use C-4. over 6 feet of 4 inch line was completely choked with roots. it appears to have been a poor glue joint that started the problem.

the owner removed 4 trees (hated to see that) and we replaced the broken line.

gotta love a happy ending

steve
                          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Steve,

Good job and I'm glad to see some one with a K-75. I think it is a under rated machine.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It's an old house and the drains get clogged all the time. I did think it was easy to clean the pipes 'cause I've done it so many times. The pipes are iron and probably over 50 years old. Anyway, the plumber came today and said the exact same thing about me just wanting to save a few bucks and do it myself. He convinced me to do a repipe, which seems like a good idea since the rest of the house has been draining slow for quite a while now.

Comment

Working...
                              X