X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You asked for it - free calendar

Ok guys and gals.... heres how it works. I am sure a lot of you have seen the Post your Shop pics "contest" and wondered when we would have something a bit more plumbing related.

Heres the hoop you need to jump through to get a free 2007-2008 pinup calendar.

Step #1 : Reply to this thread and Tell me a story about How/Why/When a RIDGID Branded tool really came through for you and why you trust our brand. So basically I am giving you a free calendar for a story. (NOTE: I will reserve the right to delete unreasonable submissions. I dont want sweepstakes and freebie sites to get ahold of this link and take advantage of us and ruin it for everyone.

Step #2 : Private Message me your real name and address. (to private message me, click on my name "JOSH" and choose send Private Message.

I will take submissions through the end of March.

So lets hear some stories.

Josh

Re: You asked for it - free calendar

Well I'm not a plumber... but here goes...

I often do suspension work on cars in my garage, but don't own an air compressor. All of my tools are electric.

A while back, while attempting to install a new set of struts, we had a whale of a time trying to get the top nut off of the old ones. We did what we could with hand tools, and decided to go out and buy an electric impact wrench.

We picked one up and set to work trying to get the strut apart again, still with no luck.

Finally, we gave up on it and I used my trusty Ridgid 4.5" angle grinder and just cut the strut shaft in half. That made short work of it, but really wasn't the solution we would have liked to use.

Later on, having felt that the impact wrench was a bit of a waste, I started to do a little research on the matter. The one we bought was capable of 228 ft-lbs of torque. Looking around, this seemed to be the norm until I came across the Ridgid R6300, offering up a whopping 450 ft-lbs of torque!

Unfortunately, this product wasn't available in Canada but we didn't let that stop us.

On our next trip into Buffalo, NY, I picked one up and brought it back. It's a monster, but to this day I haven't had to cut another strut shaft in half.

Thanks Ridgid!

Comment

I had a old K60 suitcase machine for years, Finally decided to replace it for newer Machine. Was sold on the General machine by a smoth talking rep. Cost less, quick cable size change over, And so on.... Well One time not to long after I got the machine. I had a sink stoppage up on a Pitched roof to unstop. Well thank God I was quick enough to stop the machine fro Tipping off the roof. Just shortly after that I bought the ridgid K-60 and Its better than the old K-60 and the flip off the roof general. The general just collects dust in the shop. Learned my lesson that day you get what you pay for.
      After that I bought camera and scout and find them easy to operate. The general rep always very negative about ridgid and not to happy about my camera buy. lets see the girls ..... I mean the tools

Comment

ok, i have many rigid tools. some old, some new. the best one i like, is my big inside cutters. they can cut below floor level, in to walls etc. i got it 10 years ago when i was a helper, my boss thought it was a waste of money till he saw it in action, after that he would ask to have HIS cutter to bring to another job. i also have the small ones. in all i think i have 7 differant rigid cutters.

thanks in advance for the calender josh

fastplumber out

Comment

Josh, I am not a Pro plumber, but I do a lot of plumbing. LOL Bought my house in 77, the deed says 160+ in the build date box. Had 2 6 1/2' trees in the side yard when we moved in. Found out later they were water maples. From 85 till 89 I was rentingSectional machines every couple months to cut the roots. In 90 I bought a K75 for myself. Ran that machine every month until 2006. Cut those trees down in 2002 and took that long for the roots to quit growing. That K75 took care of every home on my block. Paid a little over $1200 for it new with an extra set of sections. In all those years I only kinked one section and never lost a cutter. Just sold it this past fall to a guy in Wyoming for $1200. I still have all my plumbing tools though and they are all Ridgids. Oh, and Tool-Up says I should get my SeeSnake Micro on Monday, Waiting to check out a slow drain in the bathroom vanity.
          Last edited by papadan; 03-09-2007, 06:31 PM.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Rick will have his own story, but here goes mine, as the plumber's wife.

Josh, how about the most unusual use of a Ridgid tool?

Rick pulled a 6" Ridgid pipe wrench out of my garter at our wedding! It did it's job at amusing everyone and it didn't rip my garter. It was the icing to our plumbing themed wedding.

Ridgid and Toto (our centerpieces were miniature toilets) got more publicity at our wedding than an advertisement, considering we had a room full of plumbers.

I will think of ridgid fondly for the rest of my life

Mrs. Seat Down
            phoebe it is

Comment

Joey, nice story. So Rick really likes his profession ey . Its great to have a job you love. At first when I read Toto I thought of the band then I thought about the brand.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              Ridgid and Toto (our centerpieces were miniature toilets) got more publicity at our wedding than an advertisement, considering we had a room full of plumbers.
              Great stories all. Keep em coming.

Josh

Comment

Are you guys kidding me? You're "jumpimg through hoops" for a Ridgid calender? Show some self respect.
                the dog

Comment

Saw that one commin a mile away

Comment

well i do a lot of pipe fitting and bin with the same company for over yrs and when the boss gets new tools he lets me have them . so in the 17 yrs we got 4 new 300 machine and 1 older one that i had when i first started . every time we got a new one the said to me to take the new one and i said I'll keep the same one . well i still have the same one and the same dies .
                    and mine looks better then all the new ones that get used by every one else in the company. i keep mine on my truck all the time .
                    after i use it i wipe it down every time they don't.
                    the only thing i replaced was a new set of jaws .
                    still works great and should last another 17 yrs.
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                      Are you guys kidding me? You're "jumpimg through hoops" for a Ridgid calender? Show some self respect.
                      no just like to tell stories
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

In today's day of computers I almost can't imagine anyone using a paper calendar so thank you but no thank you. However, I will still make a few comments.

I have been using Ridgid Tools for 35-years now. There was a time where I would only buy non-Ridgid tools because Ridgid did not make the tool. I recall my power tools were always Milwaukee, my channel locks were always channel locks, my locators were always Goldak and my toilet augers were always General.

Today I have switched to Ridgid for my locating as I believe the NaviTrack is the best system ever built. My closet augers are still Generals because the Ridgid augers are just not as good.

My power tools I have mixed emotions on. I see Ridgid is now making a bunch of power tools. I also know they are making a lot of tools meant for the homeowner now and not the Pro. I did buy a MSUV the other day to mount my non-Ridgid miter saw on so I am slowly moving towards Ridgid on power tools. Still I am a little concerned the line between the old-school Ridgid Plumbing tools and the new market Ridgid is getting a little blurred.

The Ridgid tools I own today I will never sell because I know my grand kids will still be able to use them some day. I just hope Ridgid is able to maintain the same quality long enough for when my great grand kids want to buy tools.

Mark
                        Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-10-2007, 03:23 AM.
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I had a job at a grade school where the drinking fountain drain was leaking. The way the block was laid, and everything made it impossible to get a wrench on the 1-1/2" galvanised nipple. I went to my supply house and bought an aluminum offset wrench. Problem solved, and the best thing is I charged the wrench to the job!

Comment

just to day a Ridgid wrench save the day for me,

I have just finished moving the tractor loader from one tractor to another, and since the two tractors were completely different, that meant cutting the loader apart, shortening the lift arms, redesigning and building the mounting and the upright arms, new hydraulics, and cylinders, and widening the bucket,
                            (it still needs paint and a few finishing touches),

I finished it up, and was trying it out to day, and had a fitting dripping hydraulic oil, actually 2 of them, the spaces it was in very difficult to get in to, and the fitting was 90 degree jic, using a standard wrench there was no way to make a complete turn with out messing up the jic flare and threads, so I went and got the spud wrench off the wall of the shop, and it worked like a charm, (yes a glorified monkey wrench), got the leaks stopped,

IN the first picture you can kind of see how tight some of the hydraulic lines are, the second is of the loader and my helper is my grand son,

I have pipe wrenches from 36" down to 6", and there 98% Ridgid, I have some wrenches my Dad had and have been used for nearly 60 years, still good as new, and most of my others are at lest 20 years old, I would not buy any other brand of pipe wrench. and the pipe cutting tools are wonderful, I have dies and threaders to do from 1/8" through 4" pipe, and the drain clearing equipment is Ridgid as well,
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by BHD; 03-10-2007, 08:18 PM. Reason: addition information,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD,

You are alot shorter than I imagined,I didn't here any mention of foot pedal extentions

Look pretty handsome for 30+years in the trades.
                              Last edited by drtyhands; 03-10-2007, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X