X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemical root killers?

What is your opinions of chemical root killers, what is there effectiveness, Basically the ones that are copper sulfate based, (copper sulfate pentahydrate). or street names (Blue Vitrol, Bluestone, Cupric Sulfate).

basic suggested use or instructions,

http://www.aquaweed.com/copper.htm
    Sewer Treatment for Root and Fungus Control
    PHELPS DODGE REFINING CORPORATION TRIANGLE BRAND COPPER SULFATE PENTAHYDRATE
    is most effective in keeping sewer lines free of roots.
    A. FOR PARTIAL STOPPAGE: Add 1/2 pound of copper sulfate pentahydrate to
    sewer or drain and flush toward blockage with 5 gallons of water. Repeat at 6
    month intervals to prevent growth of new roots.
    B. FOR COMPLETE STOPPAGE: Physically remove the root blockage and repeat as
    above.
    C. FOR HOUSEHOLD SEWERS: Use 2 - 6 lbs. copper sulfate small crystals twice
    yearly in spring and early fall. Apply in toilet bowl near sewer line. Flush
    each 1/2 lb. portion at a time. Or, remove the clean-out plug and pour entire
    quantity directly into sewer line and flush with water. NOTE: DO NOT APPLY IN
    SINK OR TUB DRAINS.
    D. FOR COMMERCIAL, INSTITUTIONAL AND MUNICIPAL USE:
    SEWERS: Use 2 lbs. of copper sulfate small crystals each 6 to 12 months,
    applied to each junction or terminal manhole.
    STORM DRAINS: Use 2 lbs. of copper sulfate small crystals per drain per year.
    Apply during period of light flow. In dry weather induce a flow with hose. If
    storm drains become almost plugged, repeat treatment 3 or 4 times at two
    week intervals. SEWER PUMPS AND FORCE MAINS: Place 2 lbs. of copper
    sulfate small crystals in a cloth bag at the storage wall inlet. Repeat as needed
    I realize this is not approved in all locations, but where it is, what is the professionals opinions?
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Chemical root killers?

it does work, but there are limitations

90% of the roots come in from the top of the line. the waste flow is at the bottom of the line. until the roots grow into the flowline, the chemical is useless. if you can apply the lethal dose 2-3 weeks prior to a stoppage, you'll do good. the issue is when is that 2-3 week period

the best bet is to apply heavy in early spring and fall. then normal every month. the stuff is cheap, about $8. for 2#. this should last about 1/2 year of treatments.

the better way is to use a chemical, such as "root-x" once a year.this is a foaming agent with root killer. so instead of waiting for the roots to get to the chemical, the chemical foams up and gets to the roots at the top of the pipe. the issue is cost. a 2# treatment will cover approx. 50' of 4'' pipe. it cost approx. $35. chances are you will need 4# to cover the pipe thoroughly

with either product, you need to stop using water for 4-6 hours.

root-x is best applied through a sewer cleanout. in a toilet you better know what you're doing, or you will have a living breathing monster remember it foams on contact with water.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

We sell/install about 24 lbs of Rootx a month. Allows us to offer a 1 year guarantee on a mainline cleaning, even with agressive roots.
      It requires a pesticide licence to use in california, though. (a pain to get)
      Worth it for customers that don't have the scratch to fix the real problem (THE FAILED PIPE!)
      I love the stuff, and everything Rick said is dead on, especially about not running water foer a while after the application.
      Last edited by Threefingered; 02-18-2010, 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling
      "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig"

Comment

Originally posted by Threefingered View Post
        We sell/install about 24 lbs of Rootx a month. Allows us to offer a 1 year guarantee on a mainline cleaning, even with agressive roots.
        It requires a pesticide licence to use in california, though. (a pain to get)
        Worth it for customers that don't have the scratch to fix the real problem (THE FAILED PIPE!)
        I love the stuff, and everything Rick said is dead on, especially about not running water foer a while after the application.
        Yea, what Threefingered said, and as usual what Rick said. But here in Mich, we have alot of combination sewers, so these customers have to also make sure water is not flowing through storm trap, or that its not raining or wet weather, cuz the rooto will obviously flush right through.

Comment

the living breathing monster comment made me laugh. The first time I used root-x was through a toilet in a customers home. I flushed for all that toilet was worth and just didn't quite make it.

Then I read the directions, something about not applying more than 2lbs through a toilet, I had dumped a bucket with 4 pounds in it into the toilet.

In retrospect it's pretty funny.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            it does work, but there are limitations

90% of the roots come in from the top of the line. the waste flow is at the bottom of the line. until the roots grow into the flowline, the chemical is useless. if you can apply the lethal dose 2-3 weeks prior to a stoppage, you'll do good. the issue is when is that 2-3 week period

the best bet is to apply heavy in early spring and fall. then normal every month. the stuff is cheap, about $8. for 2#. this should last about 1/2 year of treatments.

the better way is to use a chemical, such as "root-x" once a year.this is a foaming agent with root killer. so instead of waiting for the roots to get to the chemical, the chemical foams up and gets to the roots at the top of the pipe. the issue is cost. a 2# treatment will cover approx. 50' of 4'' pipe. it cost approx. $35. chances are you will need 4# to cover the pipe thoroughly

with either product, you need to stop using water for 4-6 hours.

root-x is best applied through a sewer cleanout. in a toilet you better know what you're doing, or you will have a living breathing monster remember it foams on contact with water.

rick.
            I've never heard of Root-X. Thanks. Rick, your knowledge base seems to be endless. So... <---- What does that emoticon mean?

Thanks in advance.
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Root-X all the way. Although sometimes I think it works a little too good.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I put too much root x in a front yard cleanout and had a mini volcano. Had to buy some sod as that lawn was not going to grow back for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                X