drilling a hole in a stainless steel sink

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: drilling a hole in a stainless steel sink

You cannot rent knockout punches but you can buy a Greenlee stainless steel holesaw. Do a google search or call a Greenlee Dealer. (the 7/8" model number is Greenlee 645-7/8)

Comment

I've drilled lots of holes in SS with a step drill. I neither use a punch nor a pilot. I first saw a Lenox rep drilling hole after hole at a trade show and realized how easy it was. Bought one as soon as I got home.

Comment

Give these a try, they are like baby mag drill cutters.
        http://www.hougen.com/cutters/sheetmetal/Rotacut.html

Comment

DAM! I searched all over and NOONE have picture of it?

Some say " It's hard to Drill Stainless Steels, It's Tough to Drill Stainless Steels " LIES, LIES, LIES!!!

I got MAD, so Here is how I did it. I took before and
          after pix so you all can see. I also included what type of tools I use to do it with below, wear Eye Protection, it was DAM so EASY and CHEAP!!!

1. I punched a hole in where I needed, I use NAILS, then a small bit to drill break the Hole. Use Xtra WD-40 for this one.

2. Once I got the small Hole, I used BOSCH TITANIUM Drill Bits, 5/64", 7/64", 7/32", 5/16", 1/2" with the help of WD-40 to Drill stepping up the Hole bigger and bigger to 1/2".

3. Since I needed the Hole to be 1-1/18". I trace it with a marker, I use a Round File and FILE the heck out of it until I got the Hole big enough to fit my New Soap Dispenser.

4. After about 1/2 an hour of Filing the Dam Hole with rest, cause I don't want to hurt my muscles the next day, LOL. I use the small file to smooth it out, DONE!!!!

5. To Clean-Up, I use a WET Paper Towel and Wrapped a Magnet around it so the Magnet will pick up all the Metals, even smallest pieces.

6. I can't seem to get help at all from searching all over the net to do this. I pretended that I was living in the Stone Age and use what I got just like the ancient Egyptians, LMFAO... Another thing, I also pretended that I was in Jail breaking out, it really helped Filing the Dam Hole Faster.... hehehehehe

Hope that will help someone. You can use this Method and make the Hole as Big as you want!
          JodBronson

TOOLS:

http://www.rgsmart.com/DSCF0009.JPG

BEFORE:

http://www.rgsmart.com/DSCF0001.JPG

AFTER:

http://www.rgsmart.com/DSCF0002.JPG
          Last edited by JodBronson; 11-24-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

wow thats alot of work for a 1 1/8 hole.. how successful were you with that magnet picking up stainless shavings ?

Comment

45 minutes plus for a hole. No, no, no! You're fired!

J.C.

Comment

I use what is called a vari bit I think that is what is being called a step bit.This can be purchased at a hardware store.

Comment

Also sometimes referred to as a Uni Bit.

J.C.

Comment

How do you drill a cast iron sink? Man, I've often wanted to, but was afraid to try it!

Comment

Here you go.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ling+Cast+Iron

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                        wow thats alot of work for a 1 1/8 hole.. how successful were you with that magnet picking up stainless shavings ?

Hi,

I did it CHEAP !!! COST = $0.00

Use what I got instead buying a new Tool, like a HOLE PUNCHER for about $195.00. Not like I'm gonna drill HOLES in my Sinks everyday, LMFAO.

JCsPlumbing.... Did you read my #4??? " 4. After about 1/2 an hour of Filing the Dam Hole with REST, cause I don't want to hurt my muscles the next day, LOL. I use the small file to smooth it out, DONE!!!! "

plumbworker.... The Magnet works GREAT, if it didn't work, I wouldn't post it here You're gonna remember me the next time you drill Stainless Steels, LMAO

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE... I'm NOT a Plumber... If I was, I would buy TOOLS that would make my Life and Job easier... Heck, it cost me cheaper to get a Plumber over to put in the Hole and install my New Soap Dispenser than spending my time and buying a New Hole Puncher woudn't you think? Like this one...

Jod
                        Last edited by JodBronson; 11-28-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JodBronson View Post
                          Hi,

Use what I got instead buying a new Tool, like a HOLE PUNCHER for about $195.00. Not like I'm gonna drill HOLES in my Sinks everyday, LMFAO.

JCsPlumbing.... Did you read my #4??? " 4. After about 1/2 an hour of Filing the Dam Hole with REST, cause I don't want to hurt my muscles the next day, LOL. I use the small file to smooth it out, DONE!!!! "

plumbworker.... The Magnet works GREAT, if it didn't work, I wouldn't post it here You're gonna remember me the next time you drill Stainless Steels, LMAO

Jod
                          Glad you got it done to your satisfaction on the cheap. Just way too slow if you do it as a profession.

J.C.

Comment

youre magnet didnt do a damn thing is what i was getting at..stainless is non ferrous my friend

Comment

Tips on cutting Stainless from a machinist.
                              1) Keep it cool, buy some cutting oil, back your cutter off occasionally and let things cool off. I like the trick with the plumbers putty, but use something better than WD (water displacement, not a lubricant). Keeping oil on it is good, but if the bit is hot let it cool for a sec, before you hit it with the 30 deg. oil that has been in your truck all night!
                              2) Keep it sharp. If your bit gets too hot and your sstl starts changing colors, stop and switch cutters. Most run of the mill stainless is not heat treatable, but it will harden like an SOB with a dull drill bit. If it turns blue, you may need carbide to cut the rest of the way thru.
                              3) Keep it cutting. Don't let the bit drag without cutting. In stainless, if your bit is not making chips it is dulling fast. Don't be afraid to push it within reason.

As far as picking it up with a magnet, 300 series is non magnetic, but 400 series is somewhat magnetic, and you can pick up the chips with a good magnet!

Comment

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
                                Tips on cutting Stainless from a machinist.
                                1) Keep it cool, buy some cutting oil, back your cutter off occasionally and let things cool off. I like the trick with the plumbers putty, but use something better than WD (water displacement, not a lubricant). Keeping oil on it is good, but if the bit is hot let it cool for a sec, before you hit it with the 30 deg. oil that has been in your truck all night!
                                2) Keep it sharp. If your bit gets too hot and your sstl starts changing colors, stop and switch cutters. Most run of the mill stainless is not heat treatable, but it will harden like an SOB with a dull drill bit. If it turns blue, you may need carbide to cut the rest of the way thru.
                                3) Keep it cutting. Don't let the bit drag without cutting. In stainless, if your bit is not making chips it is dulling fast. Don't be afraid to push it within reason.

As far as picking it up with a magnet, 300 series is non magnetic, but 400 series is somewhat magnetic, and you can pick up the chips with a good magnet!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to JTROANOKE !!!!

For clearing the Magnet Trick up!

Maybe he's STUCK in the 80's (plumbworker) where they make Stainless Steel Chrome Plating Over Plastic, no wonder a Magnet doesn't stick to his sinks, LOL

They are PLUMBERS, don't they suppost to know this? Well his Screen Name indicated he is to me, maybe he's NOT!

OK, I took a Picture of the Magnet sticking to my sink and holding a big Screw Driver cause them Magnets I got are STRONG. I hope he doesn't think I use Super Glue to hold that up next, or maybe a small Alien hovering under the Screw Driver, LMFAO .

Jod

P.S. Too bad I threw my trash out yesterday, it's raining today and I'm NOT going out there to dig through them. I would take another picture with them Chips sticking to my Magnet just to prove it. But like I said... " He will remember me Drilling a Stainless Steel Sink next time. " A REAL STAINLESS STEEL!!! Not them Chrome Plating CRAP!!!! OK?
                                Last edited by JodBronson; 11-30-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X