X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drilling a hole in a stainless steel sink

I want to install an under the counter water filtration system and need to drill a hole in the stainless steel sink to accomodate the dedicated faucet. The hole needs to be 3/4".

I have read i should use a cobalt bit with cutting fluid (WD-40 perhaps).

Whats your advice?

Re: drilling a hole in a stainless steel sink

I would punch it with a electrical box punch, like a greenlee or GB brand,

If you cant find some one to borrow one from EBAY has them most of the time fairly reasonable in the smaller ones,

You can get just one, make sure you getting the stud to tighten it as well,

GB makes a them as well. (I think ACE carries the GB brand)

picture is of a kit,

drilling should work but it may leave some edges as the bit tears through the tin, and there may be some small distortion,

a small hole saw may make a better cut but it will be sharp but then most any method used in that thin of material will be sharp,
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The chassis punches are the way to get a nice clean hole. Normally you'll need to drill a hole about 13/32 size for the bolt. I would look at Greenlee brand. The punches for electrical work normally don't come in 3/4" size, but the Greenleee 730 series does. A good electrical supply house or industrial distributor should stock what you need or they can order it in for you. As for drilling the bolt hole, I would use a 135 degree split point cobalt alloy twist drill and use one that's 1/8 - 3/16 for the pilot hole for the 13/32 size. Normally Home Depot or Lowes sell them, but your best bet is an industrial supply house. You'll also want something like SAFE TAP to use as a cutting fluid for drilling and punching work.

Greenlee Hole Cutting Items: http://www.greenlee.textron.com/cat_...emaking_07.pdf

Save the above to your hard disk and then view. It's 68 pages of good info to have.

Comment

on that small of a hole 3/4'', i would use a step drill. very simple and fast. a punch works good on 1.25'' holes. remember you still need a hole for the pilot. therefore drilling a pilot hole then a punch makes no sence.

cast iron is a whole different set up. special 3 step process to protect the white enamel. i've done hundreds with no problem.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with Rick on the step drill, but if you don't have one you can drill a 3/4" hole with decent quality bits. Just take it slow with a smaller bit (say 1/4"), then upgrade to a 3/8", and finish with a 3/4". Run every bit slow, and use oil.
          the dog

Comment

I think the step drill is the best idea...

Comment

It's too bad that F P isn't over here in the USA. I would loan you my 3/4 punch and a few good drill bits. I hope the step bits up in Canada are high quality HS steel. The one I have won't cut SS worth anything. F P, Do you know anyone that works at a machine shop or is big in electronics? If yes, he/she may have a 3/4 punch. Normal for electrical work is 7/8 inch (approx) for 1/2 pipe or conduit fittings even though I've found 13/16 inch is nicer for fittings. Ask around and good luck. As Rick and Dog said, take it nice and slow.

Comment

I agree the step drill would do a good job, I just did not think of it,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If it's a nice 316L Stainless sink, then you may well experience that a step drill simply doesn't work. The Greenlee punches look nice, and being USA made, they should do it. If you can't get them, then use a hole saw of a good quality such as "Starret". I usually do! Remember to use lots of drilling paste, stop often, and put more on. Go slow, use a big drill with low RPM, and aviod heating the job. A bit of care while cutting, and drilling the pilot hole first at 6mm, before using the hole saw, which has a center drill at 6.2mm, seems to give nicer cuts. A few strokes with a fine needle file, and you should have a real neat job.

Comment

If you are near Moncton, Princess Auto has a decent step drill that goes on sale often, same with their 9/16 to 1" titanium drill bit set

Comment

DO NOT use a knockout set unless it is specifally made for SS. You'll shatter the knockout and distort the stainless. I learned this the hard(a.k.a. expensive) way. I now use lenox carbide hole cutter. Model LEN12CHC is for 3/4". I use plumber's putty to make a ring around the bit and pour some 3 in 1 oil in there. WD-40 is way too light.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

lots of great advice! thanks guys! I think i'll give the step bit a try!

Comment

We used a Lennox bit to drill a 1-1/2 inch hole in a stainless sink for an air gap. Didn't use any oil and we got one hole drilled and half way through a second unit before the bit burned up and wouldn't bore anymore. Next time I'll try some oil.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            I would punch it with a electrical box punch, like a greenlee or GB brand,

If you cant find some one to borrow one from EBAY has them most of the time fairly reasonable in the smaller ones,

You can get just one, make sure you getting the stud to tighten it as well,

GB makes a them as well. (I think ACE carries the GB brand)

picture is of a kit,

drilling should work but it may leave some edges as the bit tears through the tin, and there may be some small distortion,

a small hole saw may make a better cut but it will be sharp but then most any method used in that thin of material will be sharp,
                            I was at Lowe's tonight and I happened to be in the electrical section looking for a 60A switch box and I saw they had the Greenlee punch set for $250 - kind of pricey but I'd like to have one. Looked like it's high quality.

Comment

this would work

http://www.shoprutlandtool.com/webap...t_category_rn=

Comment

Working...
                              X