X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent pipe covers

Not sure if this is a carpentry or plumbing question. The damn squirrels chewed the lead shields on my vent pipe. Now when it rains it leaks along the pipe into the attic. On first observation it would seem that I need a roofer to change the vent covers (lead sheilds) but then the squirrels will eat that too! Is there another option?

Clato

Re: Vent pipe covers

are you talking about the flashings? we sometimes use lead flashings and peen them over into the pipe.

with galvanized steel flashings you just mastic the flashing to the pipe.

i roofer is the one who typically installs the flashings.

time to get a cat

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I'm with Rick here, you need a roofer.
      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
        I'm with Rick here, you need a roofer.
        Not necessarily so. I have installed many roof caps for plumbing vents and most of them have been the older two piece type where the "top" half of the cap slips down over the part that is installed in the roofing . The top half has a lead flange or ring around the top that folds into the vent pipe. If this is the type he has, all he needs to do is find a supply house or plumber who still has this type and replace the top half. (just slides on and off.

Comment

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/roofflashings.html

Comment

Spraying the lead boots with some roof tar "pruning sealer" and dusting it with cayenne pepper while it is wet will keep the squirrels at bay for a bit. Caulk alongside the chewed boot and vent with the roofing caulk to seal any leaks. If the existing lead boot is too large around the vent to caulk easily, you can clamp it snug with a hose clamp (same type you would use on a radiator hose for your car). Needs occasional reapplication (fought the little critters for 20 yrs in FL). Squirrels, like rats, need to chew on things to wear down and sharpen their incisors, which keep growing their entire life. They love soft metal like lead, aluminum and copper. If you have a chain link fence held up by the aluminum fence ties, I will venture that the top of the tie is chewed through about 85% thickness of most of them on the top fence rail.
            If you want to reinstall the lead boots, buy new ones and cut them off with metal snips to slide over the butt of the old ones. Spray them or they will go the way of the first ones. If you can safely climb on your roof, and your shingles are not cracking already, you do not need a professional, you do not need a roofer to cure this problem. If you want a professional, be prepared for leaks where they tear your shingles installing a new boot. They will probably replace the boot with a plastic one ($5 at hd) that requires the caulk anyway as it slides down over the vent pipe.

JMTCW

Go
            Last edited by Gofor; 03-22-2007, 10:24 PM.
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

What will really keep them *&^% rodents off your roof and gutters is to spray them with amonia like used for cleaning. Pine oil helps too. Real stinky moth balls are another idea. Burn their noses when they come around. Please don't mix the above. Pick one and give it a try.

Be sure your gutters are kept nice and clean. They love the stuff that collects in them and woodpeckers just love to hammer away on gutters to get a meal.

By the way the telephone company in my area really has a major issue with squirrels and rats doing their teething on cables. The only thing that really helps is to run them inside galv pipe. They will chew through anything and everything they can. squirrel = cute looking rat
              Last edited by Woussko; 03-22-2007, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I did purchase new lead pipe covers but my roof is not that old and do not relish the idea of tearing off shingles to replace them. I like the idea of just caulking them for now and spraying them to keep the squirrels away.

Comment

Working...
                X