X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fixing Quest Pipe

Now have any of you experience the plactic nut connected to the fill valve just spittling on the old gray quest pex
    We have had that happen with no one touching it and now since we touch one and three days later it blew ,,,,,,spit at the bottom
    They want us to use our insurance, which we are fighting due to we had no leaking that day.
    Anyway ,,,,got to put some evidence together for the insurance man

Comment

Originally posted by FRP View Post
      Now have any of you experience the plactic nut connected to the fill valve just spittling on the old gray quest pex
      We have had that happen with no one touching it and now since we touch one and three days later it blew ,,,,,,spit at the bottom
      They want us to use our insurance, which we are fighting due to we had no leaking that day.
      Anyway ,,,,got to put some evidence together for the insurance man
      This doesn't help you, but yes, I have seen that nut split open many times. I won't replace a fill valve without changing out that angle stop and supply line at the same time because of how often I have seen them fail.

Comment

Here is my take, which is in line with what Rick says, with a little add on. You say you have had no issues with shark bite ftgs, but they are $3 a piece more. Even if you had to use 10 fittings on 1 repair, that is only $30 more for peace of mind. I would have to ask 2 questions.
        #1- Why would you even contemplate the risk of changing what your doing, especially when it works 100% of the time?
        #2- Are you charging enough for these repairs? Seems to me if the fittings were $10 more apiece, I still would not consider changing.
        1 failure of a fitting, & you will lose way more than you could ever have saved on all the fittings, on all the jobs combined.
        And that PSI test you did on the Quest to Pex adapter, does not take into account, vibration, &/or water hammer, during all the on & off cycles, from fixtures, during the test of time, from actual use. Could slowly work it way loose. JMO Keep doing what your doing now

Comment

Originally posted by Don the plumber View Post
          Here is my take, which is in line with what Rick says, with a little add on. You say you have had no issues with shark bite ftgs, but they are $3 a piece more. Even if you had to use 10 fittings on 1 repair, that is only $30 more for peace of mind. I would have to ask 2 questions.
          #1- Why would you even contemplate the risk of changing what your doing, especially when it works 100% of the time?
          #2- Are you charging enough for these repairs? Seems to me if the fittings were $10 more apiece, I still would not consider changing.
          1 failure of a fitting, & you will lose way more than you could ever have saved on all the fittings, on all the jobs combined.
          And that PSI test you did on the Quest to Pex adapter, does not take into account, vibration, &/or water hammer, during all the on & off cycles, from fixtures, during the test of time, from actual use. Could slowly work it way loose. JMO Keep doing what your doing now
          Another point... -If you make the repair with a Sharkbite and it fails and floods out your customers house your insurance will tell you that you did not use an approved repair method for the material you were dealing with and they will not pay, so you will get sued and be paying damages out of pocket. I know a local plumber that used a standard crimp coupling with black rings as a transition for PB to PEX, The customers attic line blew out at the coupling while they were on vacation, they returned to $26,000 in water damage. The plumbers insurance did not pay, His insurance was dropped and it took him over a year to get uninsured and his business up and running again... As a side note just last week this plumbers helper lit a smoke from a propane torch in their storage unit while getting materials, He neglected to get it turned off and left, later that day his storage unit blew up taking out 4 other full units with it, think his insurance is gonna pay?

Comment

Sharkbite Poly Conversion Coupling 3/4"x3/4"

Comment

I have had the fun of making a number of poly repairs already, I used a sharkbite on the blue quest for a water service, outside, and it is working, no leaks. She has no warranty and needs a water service.

As for the others inside the house, I have been using viega pex x poly adapters witht he crimp rings, the poly side is large for the diameter of the poly, there are 2 different size rings, one for the pex side of the fitting and one for the poly side. I have not, as of yet had any issues. this method is a crimp style repair like pex so it is approved for the behind walls, etc. Sharbites cannot be burried in the wall in my area, which is fine, I dont trust them anyways.

Next water service repair I complete, if the customer does not want it replaced, it will get the viega pex x poly adapter.
              Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Working...
              X