X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing Quest Pipe

In my area there are many house's that have Quest line and I usually have around 3 service calls per week fixing them. I've always put a sharkbite in and haven't had one call back yet. I saw quest to pex adapter and was thinking of using them($1.50 vs $4.50).

This is my problem-I don't have a convential pex crimper. I use the stainless crimp band by watts for all my pex. The system is called cinchclamp. Can I use these bands on the quest side? It's the same OD. I got some old quest and put one of those fittings together and put it on my hydro tester. 150lbs@24 (why is this red?) hrs with no problem. I bumped it to 200lbs and it broke at 175lbs 1st time, 170lbs 2nd time and 170 3rd time. I understand normal working pressures in a house don't reach that high. What do you guys think? Call 150 lbs good enough?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Fixing Quest Pipe

It's red because the "at" symbol indicates an email address in the html code...

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      In my area there are many house's that have Quest line and I usually have around 3 service calls per week fixing them. I've always put a sharkbite in and haven't had one call back yet. I saw quest to pex adapter and was thinking of using them($1.50 vs $4.50).

This is my problem-I don't have a convential pex crimper. I use the stainless crimp band by watts for all my pex. The system is called cinchclamp. Can I use these bands on the quest side? It's the same OD. I got some old quest and put one of those fittings together and put it on my hydro tester. 150lbs@24 (why is this red?) hrs with no problem. I bumped it to 200lbs and it broke at 175lbs 1st time, 170lbs 2nd time and 170 3rd time. I understand normal working pressures in a house don't reach that high. What do you guys think? Call 150 lbs good enough?
      gearjunkie,

What is "Quest Pipe"? I'm not familiar with that.
      the dog

Comment

i would stick with the sharkbite. sharkbite is an approved joing method method for all of these pipes/tubes, copper and cpvc.

the couple of dollars saved is not worth the risk of an un-approved method. unless you use the factory fittings with the factory connector, barb, crimp, you take the risk of non combatability

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Quest is the brand name of polybutlyne.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Its been a few years since I've had to deal with Quest pipe. I was able to pickup Quest fittings at a local big box store. Other than that I'd use the Sharkbites in this application. I've only run into Quest pipe in mobile homes.

wookie

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              Quest is the brand name of polybutlyne.
              gearjunkie,

So you guys are running PB pipe inside of buildings for domestic water in Virginia? I've heard of it but don't have much knowledge of it.
              the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                gearjunkie,

So you guys are running PB pipe inside of buildings for domestic water in Virginia? I've heard of it but don't have much knowledge of it.
                dog,

I believe they are just repairing old stuff. Shell Oil agreed to an $85,000,000 settlement and a recall after a Class-Action over Quest piping failures. I believe most of the failures were related to clamps problems and fitting failures due to high chlorine in the water.
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Dog,
                  Mark is right. This is just repair work. I didn't know about the lawsuit but several insurance companies won't cover your house for water damage if you have quest. Don't ask me how they know. That's what my customer's tell me. Quest was banned around 10yrs ago but it's still common in the houses. It's biggest drawback was weak bands and fittings. The wall thickness is also visiblely thinner than pex. Theft of copper pipe is so bad out here that pex is the top piping material. I asked Watts if I could use the bands and they said at my own risk.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge Utah and Gear Junkie. I don't have alot of experience with residential plastic systems, but thought that I had read bad things about PB. You guys confirmed it.
                    the dog

Comment

So the standard sharkbite will work on this gray quest pipe?

Comment

It will but cash acme will not warranty any damage if it leaks.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

from what i understand is that qest pipe was not rated for chlorine and thats where the failure comes from. i used to use the pb x pex adapters and now i use the shark bites becase there is no permanent fix for pb pipe anyway and i note on my invoice we do not warranty connections to qest pipe.
                          Mike
                          Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                          www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

A sharkbite is not an approved connection method to PB.

Not only will sharkbite not pay for the fitting ( you will never get them to pay for any damages, check your warranty). Your insurance is gonna be very upset with you as well.

The only approved connection method for PB is the Brass Crimp Transition Fitting. ( for PB to Pex transition).

Okie

Comment

Viega makes a Pex x PB fitting that seems to work just fine. Although the best option, as we all know, would be to rip that s*!t out.

Comment

Working...
                              X