Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of shower body jets?

Have any of you used a shower with these sorts of things in them?

http://www.shower-guide.com/shower-bodyjets.htm

Since I'm building my shower up from scratch, should I put some in? Are they nice, or are they really just gimmicky?

Re: What do you think of shower body jets?

don't think they're gimmicky. but they tend to be problematic

the heads will eventually lime up and need cleaning to keep the jets flowing.

you might want to think about a hand held shower head on an adjustable shower mount or bar. i find that these are used more than body jets.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Can the jets be easily replaced and cleaned if they get limed up?

We've been using those Waterpik handheld shower heads for years, so that's a no-brainer.

On that topic though... is there value in doing one of the built in hoses rather than the attached ones like I use now?

I figure using the attached one gives us the easy option of changing it any time we want. Do the built-in hoses wear out over time? I imagine that would be a real hassle!

Comment

W W

Why not keep it simple but give yourself a real blast in the shower? Take a look here at the attached .PDF file. Be sure you have lots of supply water and good pressure. You want a real BLAST when you use this. Note: Remove the restrictor and have fun. With it in place this bad boy just can't bark.
        Attached Files

Comment

I've got plenty of pressure, though hot water supply is a bit of an issue.

I'm actually perfectly happy with the Waterpik showerhead I have now. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
            Can the jets be easily replaced and cleaned if they get limed up?

We've been using those Waterpik handheld shower heads for years, so that's a no-brainer.

On that topic though... is there value in doing one of the built in hoses rather than the attached ones like I use now?

I figure using the attached one gives us the easy option of changing it any time we want. Do the built-in hoses wear out over time? I imagine that would be a real hassle!
            I just remodeled a master bath with a tiled shower surround and frame-less glass doors. I installed a Grohe shower head, a RainShower head, a hand-held, and 2 temperature contorl valves - not cheap, but probably the best there is. Anyway, the Rainshower heads have a patented SpeedClean anti-lime system...

GROHE's Speed Clean system solves this common problem with a specially formulated silimer spray nozzle design. The conical shape of the silver-green nozzle forces limescale to accumulate at the tip of the nozzle only, if at all. The flexible, resilient silimer allows the nozzle to "bend" when lightly wiped with a cloth or sponge and thereby forces the limescale to gently crumble away

Comment

Many people who choose a temperature control valve go for the asthetics without even considering the gallons per minute their extremely expensive fixture produces,thinking their pressure is addequate.Pressure and volume is two totally different variables to be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Many people who choose a temperature control valve go for the asthetics without even considering the gallons per minute their extremely expensive fixture produces,thinking their pressure is addequate.Pressure and volume is two totally different variables to be considered.
                This is very true. Fortunately I was dealing with 3/4 copper since I replaced all the copper lines after a recent slab leak...

I think most of the new fixtures I installed are limited to 3.5gpm.

Comment

Interesting that you bring this up.

I was hoping to put in a control with seperate temperature and volume controls. I looked up some and noticed an important detail.

Here's an example: http://www.moen.com/browsecatalog/pr...kurefno=265254

It says this:

Required Valve - not included w/faucet

3371 : Rough-in ExactTemp 3/4" thermostatic valve with stops $357.75

Does that mean I can't just take off the pair of knobs I have now and plumb in one of these fancy temperature controlling fixtures?

Should I just stick with one of the regular single lever cold to hot thingies?

I like the idea of being able to set the temperature and then just leave it there forever, but I don't want to spend a grand on the fixture and whatever else is needed.

Comment

You can do anything you want but make sure it will work when you’re done. I have a Tub & Shower over a Jacuzzi tub where the head wall of the tub has one waterfall spout and two showerheads. At the opposite side of the tub I have a hand held wand on a sliding bar. To control the temperature and spout/heads/wand I installed 3-two handle tub and shower valves in the vertical position.

The bottom valve has ¾” hot and cold supplies lines plumbed in the typical fashion. The tub and shower outlets are plumbed in a continuous loop through the tub and shower outlets of the other two valves so that the temperature and pressure is the same to all of the outlets. The bottom handle of the middle valve controls the tub spout and the top handle controls the bottom showerhead. The bottom handle of the top valve controls the top showerhead and the top handle controls the hand held wand on the opposite side of the tub.

The only thing limiting what you do is your imagination. Another option you may want to look at beyond the small body sprays is a set of spray bars.

Mark
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-26-2007, 11:56 PM.
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Some of the rough valve bodies coming out these days are badly (choked down).Even the nice 3/4" inlets on some I've seen lately get reduced down so much I suggest to the homeowner to consider further reasearch.

Comment

the real joke is the shower head has to be limited to 2.5 gallons per minute. the tub spout is not limited. no homeowner is happy with 2.5 gallons per minute. they all remove the restrictor.

rick.

mark, how old is that kohler valve installation? don't see an anti scald valve
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Well I figured that on the back side of those temperature/pressure controllers would be inlets for hot and cold water. I'd plumb it together and it would do what I want.

Is that not the case? Do I need the rough-in stuff as well?

Mark, I'm also limited by my wallet. That setup looks pretty cool. I've never seen one of those waterfall things before, though I'm not sure it would have much value without a tub under it. This is a stand-up tile shower I'm building.

I've been considering a rainhead up in the middle of the roof though.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            the real joke is the shower head has to be limited to 2.5 gallons per minute. the tub spout is not limited. no homeowner is happy with 2.5 gallons per minute. they all remove the restrictor.

rick.

mark, how old is that kohler valve installation? don't see an anti scald valve
                            20+ years and counting

BTW, all of the stems are cold water stems.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                            X