X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHCC Tradeshow

Its looking like I am gonna be able to go to PHCC this year. Just wondering which of you may end up being there? I know Rick and dirthands are most likely going to be there as well as possibly plumbdog?

We'll have to try and set something up so we can all meet face to face.

Show details... http://www.phccglaa.org/tradeshow/index.htm

Hope to see some of you there!

Josh

Re: PHCC Tradeshow

Originally posted by Josh View Post
    Its looking like I am gonna be able to go to PHCC this year. Just wondering which of you may end up being there? I know Rick and dirthands are most likely going to be there as well as possibly plumbdog?

We'll have to try and set something up so we can all meet face to face.

Show details... http://www.phccglaa.org/tradeshow/index.htm

Hope to see some of you there!

Josh
    I am hoping to be there as well.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I am hoping to be there as well.

Mark

I'm not sure I will be there. I like the fact we only know each other through written knowledge. Sometimes mystery in life is a good thing.
      the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post

I'm not sure I will be there. I like the fact we only know each other through written knowledge. Sometimes mystery in life is a good thing.
        Dog,

Your mystic is what intrigues us.

On a serious note I had some guys hang a bunch of 12” No-Hub in the garage of a 45-story tower last week. These 5-guys flowed as one and I attributed it to their foreman. Go figure, it made me think of you.

Mark

Comment

that sounds great josh

the show is saturday june 9th. in long beach calif.

hope your're coming in a day or 2 early

dog, what opportunities do you have to see all the new and exiciting products out there if it's not at a trade show. with any luck there should be a few hundred different vendors. sure to be a handful of new never seen products. hope to finally meet you and the others.

mark/ utah and i met last year at the February trade show

good chance to meet and greet

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Josh,
            Way to go my man,I think your gonna have a good time.

Looking forward to meeting some of the gang.

Dog,come on,you know you want to be there.Just go

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              that sounds great josh

the show is saturday june 9th. in long beach calif.

hope your're coming in a day or 2 early

dog, what opportunities do you have to see all the new and exiciting products out there if it's not at a trade show. with any luck there should be a few hundred different vendors. sure to be a handful of new never seen products. hope to finally meet you and the others.

mark/ utah and i met last year at the February trade show

good chance to meet and greet

rick.
              Rick,

I'll be there, but I don't know if I want to meet everyone. If I did I might not like you, then it would change the whole dynamics of the forum. The same way with Utah, Josh, and latly dirtyhands. In the words of the great philosopher Paul Mcartney, "Let It Be".

Utah, thanks for the complement.

I'm glad and happy everytime you guys apprciate my comments, and I am glad you accept my mistakes (which have been many). But, the world is a big place, we all need to find a balance. This forum has found that balance. New members are joining, the old guard is keeping watch, conflicts...debates.....new information.

We need to keep in mind that what we do as plumbers today, will be obsolete in twenty years. Maybe less. But I think it's up to the old guard to watch over them (sounds like the old song "Someone To Watch Over Me").

End result: I treasure this forum, and the senior members, and even Josh--who is not a plumber, but I forgive him.
              the dog

Comment

Dog, I guess you can stand back secretely and at least see what we look like. I woulda liked to have met you. I respect your opinions and posts even when they are bit gruff sometimes. You are a very valuable part of this forum.

I am gonna try to finalize my plans by tomorrow so that will lock me in. We'll have to plan something out so we can all meet somwhere.

Ill post updates at they come.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  Dog, I guess you can stand back secretely and at least see what we look like.

Josh
                  LOL-For Rick we can just take a picture of Rick's tennis shoe along with us. As for you, I'm sure we will have a hard time finding you in a crowd of Ridgid Reps unless perhaps you look like your Avatar.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    LOL-For Rick we can just take a picture of Rick's tennis shoe along with us. As for you, I'm sure we will have a hard time finding you in a crowd of Ridgid Reps unless perhaps you look like your Avatar.

just look for the plumber on a leash that's dog

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Dog wrote: "We need to keep in mind that what we do as plumbers today, will be obsolete in twenty years. Maybe less."

I agree but we should also remember that we are not building for only 20 years in most cases. Our work is (and should be) expected to last longer than that without replacement or repair in most cases.
                      When we build, let us think that we build forever.
                      Let it not be for present delight nor for present use
                      alone. Let it be such work as our descendants will
                      thank us for; and let us think, as we lay stone on
                      stone, that a time is to come when those stones
                      will be held sacred because our hands have
                      touched them, and that men will say, as they look
                      upon the labor and wrought substance of them,
                      “See! This our father did for us.” __John Ruskin

I, as I am sure most you do, like driving down the street and looking up at the buildings I helped to rise up from the ground; and make their spaces warm or cool and provide creature comforts and help keep them dry. When I can point to high rises that I worked on 20 or 30 years ago and they are still in service, that is good. When I walk around the plant where I am working now, and see pipe I helped hang 30 years ago and welds I flat-topped and remember all the work that went into getting that big pipe in the air, pulling on chain falls for hours on end, and that pipe is still in service I think that is cool. When I remember that the facility that I am working in right now (power plant) is where I started my apprenticeship over 30 years ago I feel old, but I'm proud of the work I and others did that has stood the test of time and is still going and will continue to operate for another 20 or 30 years, I think that is cool too. I am glad I did not start my career thinking that what I built would be obsolete in 20 years. The materials and methods used to put them together may fall by the wayside, but the craft and craftsmanship will never die if you always do your best work and give the customer a fair days work for a fair wage.

I am not saying that the Dog is not a craftsman, quite the contrary. I believe that he is based on what I know of him from this forum and his posts here. I'm saying we should keep in mind that the materials and methods used to day are not what defines the trade, it's the men and women working the trade today that define it and shape its future.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Dog wrote: "We need to keep in mind that what we do as plumbers today, will be obsolete in twenty years. Maybe less."

I agree but we should also remember that we are not building for only 20 years in most cases. Our work is (and should be) expected to last longer than that without replacement or repair in most cases.
                        When we build, let us think that we build forever.
                        Let it not be for present delight nor for present use
                        alone. Let it be such work as our descendants will
                        thank us for; and let us think, as we lay stone on
                        stone, that a time is to come when those stones
                        will be held sacred because our hands have
                        touched them, and that men will say, as they look
                        upon the labor and wrought substance of them,
                        “See! This our father did for us.” __John Ruskin

I, as I am sure most you do, like driving down the street and looking up at the buildings I helped to rise up from the ground; and make their spaces warm or cool and provide creature comforts and help keep them dry. When I can point to high rises that I worked on 20 or 30 years ago and they are still in service, that is good. When I walk around the plant where I am working now, and see pipe I helped hang 30 years ago and welds I flat-topped and remember all the work that went into getting that big pipe in the air, pulling on chain falls for hours on end, and that pipe is still in service I think that is cool. When I remember that the facility that I am working in right now (power plant) is where I started my apprenticeship over 30 years ago I feel old, but I'm proud of the work I and others did that has stood the test of time and is still going and will continue to operate for another 20 or 30 years, I think that is cool too. I am glad I did not start my career thinking that what I built would be obsolete in 20 years. The materials and methods used to put them together may fall by the wayside, but the craft and craftsmanship will never die if you always do your best work and give the customer a fair days work for a fair wage.

I am not saying that the Dog is not a craftsman, quite the contrary. I believe that he is based on what I know of him from this forum and his posts here. I'm saying we should keep in mind that the materials and methods used to day are not what defines the trade, it's the men and women working the trade today that define it and shape its future.
                        This is a Hall of Fame post, one of, if not, the best.

What I meant was that we older vets have to accept the new, but still make sure the younger guys abide by the plumbing principals. I'm in agreement with you.
                        the dog

Comment

Bob,

Nice post and I concur.

On a personal note I have a very close friend who is a Mechanical Engineer. I have worked with him for over 20-years but he now works as an Expert Witness rather than a design engineer. He stopped by to visit with me during a brief stay I had at the UCLA Medical Center hospital. When he asked me how I liked my room I replied it was fine but they needed to pull some maintenance on the fan coil for my room. To my surprise he replied "It worked fine when I designed it". As it turned out he had been the Mechanical Engineer of record 50-years earlier when the hospital was built and the hospital was still operating on his design. I was impressed to say the least and it re-enforced my belief that our work is our signature.

Mark
                          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-29-2007, 11:34 PM.

Comment

one of the smallest jobs i worked on during my 15 years of new construction, is also one of my proudest accomplishments.

it was a monument for holocaust survivors at a city park.

not a huge plumbing project, just a couple of drinking fountains, area drains, and a very elaborate gas system for 2 eternal flames.

this was a project that was funded by a true holocaust survivor. the dedication ceremony was attended by hundreds and many foreign dignitaries.

a real proud moment for me and a monument that will last longer than any of us reading this now.

sure, it was a small project as far as the plumbing went, but a huge project as far as the community that visits it and the people that it's dedicated too.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                            X