X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ssp-1000

I'm assuming a PVC SCH40 discharge pipe so what I do is point the drill bit perpendicular to the pipe, get a small indention so I can immediately angle the hole downwards. The stronger the angle down the less likely it is to spray against the wall of the pit but even then, the force of water will still come out sideways.

If you drill the hole and it still occurs with a spraying to the top of the pit, either take a rubber fernco and shroud the hole with a gap between the bell and discharge pipe or better yet, take a rubber fernco and cut it longways and slide it down with the cut side opposite of the hole, the belled end gapping between where the hole is. Works as a shield and provides the ability to still protect from air lock.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

sorry for all the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I get it done right the first time. Yup its PVC pipe. The discharge is 1 1/4 pipe that goes halfway up the basement wall and then connects into a 4" pipe that runs through the wall. This setup was already in place when we bought the house. Nothing else connects to that 4" pipe so I wonder why they would use such a large piece of pipe for a sump pump discharge......

Comment

Usually that 4" pipe is outside, the discharge pipe goes indirect into the larger pipe.

In KY 4" is the minimum size for any outdoor drainage whether it is storm or sanitary.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

yeah there is a 4" pipe that sticks right through the side of my basement wall, and all that hooks up to it is the sump pump discharge. My 4" main for everything else in the house is across the basement (for toilets, sinks, showers...etc). Maybe Wisconsin has different building codes, im not real up on that stuff. Just a wanna-be do it yourself'er here

At any rate, I just drilled a hole in the discharge pipe. 3/16th seemed kinda large, so I went one drillbit down (cant remember the size, but I figured that was best since my discharge pipe is only 1 1/4, not 1 1/2.) As soon as the drill made it into the center of the pipe, I heard a bunch of weird sounds, like as if I just released a bunch of pressure. Pump works great still, but whenever it kicks on, the spray shoots across the sump, hits the side, and richochet's out (only sprays out when the lid isnt on). Even with the lid on, it was shooting out of the slit in the top of the lid, so I laid a piece of ducting steel over it. The water spray doesnt seem to affect the sensor at all, it still starts, cycles, and stops correctly, so I'll watch it another day or two with this monsoon we got goin on and make sure it stays working properly.

Comment

Working...
          X