Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Ssp-1000

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ssp-1000

    I recently purchased and installed the new SSP-1000 1HP sump pump w/microswitch (replacing an SP-500 with a burned-out switch.) The unit is pumping great but has a winding-out sound towards the end of the cycle. I assume its the water level running low right as the motor is about to shut off.
    Is there a way to adjust the microswitch height so that it triggers the pump at a higher water level and finishes the cycle prior to the water getting so low? The regular run volume is bearable but the wind-down is annoying, especially in the attached rooms and the two rooms above where the sump crock is.

  • #2
    SSP-1000 off/on

    I am curious, why does the ssp-1000 sump pump turn off every 16 seconds for 1 second in flood conditions? What purpose does this serve?

    Comment


    • #3
      SSP-1000 Ridgid Sump Pump Warranty

      I was looking at the warranty for this sump pump. I am impressed it is a lifetime warranty, however, the warranty requires that the item be sent in for evaluation and repair or replacement. What do I do for a sump pump while this is in for repair?

      It appears that this totally defeats the purpose of the lifetime warranty.

      Am I missing something?

      Kent

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: SSP-1000 Ridgid Sump Pump Warranty

        Originally posted by 1koolkat View Post
        I was looking at the warranty for this sump pump. I am impressed it is a lifetime warranty, however, the warranty requires that the item be sent in for evaluation and repair or replacement. What do I do for a sump pump while this is in for repair?

        It appears that this totally defeats the purpose of the lifetime warranty.

        Am I missing something?

        Kent
        I agree with you, I guess there is a loophole, get two pumps, when one breaks, use the reserve, when it goes, use the one you had repaired. If you want a good pump, get a zoeller
        sigpic

        Robert

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: SSP-1000 Ridgid Sump Pump Warranty

          I have had two zoellers with switches that failed in a year. They are non adjustable, and only allow a 4 or 5 inch rise. Due to the construction of my sump well, and the drain into it, I have an equilibrium point at about 14 inches, naturally. The unadjustable zoeller mechanical switches fail trying to drain the table that low. It can be drained that low, but requires many cycles. The Ridgid pump has a non mechanical switch that appears to solve that problem. I am also going to install a basement watchdog battery backup system in case the electricity goes out. I guess I could depend on that system while a repair is being made, if necessary.

          Perhaps I answered my own questions. The Watchdog unit is a combo AC/Battery system that runs on AC unless the electricity goes out. In a pinch I could rely on it while the primary pump is repaired.

          Thanks for the input that allowed me to solve my own question!

          Kent

          Comment


          • #6
            SSP-1000 RIDGID Sump Pump

            Service Call today

            Customer called this morning.....frantic...elderly woman who's a repeat customer of mine. I was snoring away

            and she goes on impulse and buys a pump from Home Depot thinking she's going to do it herself. Pretty frisky

            for a 87 year old woman. She called Roto-Rooter thinking she couldn't get a hold of me, they was going for

            the throat with her at $700 to replace a pump. Luckily I woke up and called back, told her I'll be there ASAP.


            I get there and she has a Ridgid SSP-1000 and I'm expressing caution to her because of what I've experienced

            personally about these pumps. I've pulled quite a few out at an early life, I believe in the warranty papers

            regarding this pump it states on the older models that they recommend switch replacement; this is what one

            customer advised me that is why she wanted me to put a different pump in, something that'll last longer than

            2 years.


            When I first installed this SSP-1000 today I noticed right off the bat: Doesn't full cycle even if the pit is flooded---timed.


            Will actually over cycle and draw air into the impeller chamber for numerous seconds which produces a very loud operation.

            The constant on-off revolutions becomes annoying since the discharge will produce outside sounds/noises along with pipe

            vibrations through the house. I told the customer from the go that I prefer to install my product that I have had good luck

            with and never seem to have these issues. The pump that was in the pit that failed was a ridgid that's less than 2 years old. The one going in is a ridgid.


            The customer spent $249 on her pump, mine is $135. She felt that the stainless steel and most expensive is the guarantee that

            supercedes all others in the realm of sump pumps. That is actually excellent marketing on ridgid's part completely as I'm sure that

            sells a ton of them, my customer alone had 2 in just 4 years.


            The woman just called me, said that the pump is "triggering" in such a short span of cycle that it's less than 2 seconds. She's telling me

            the water is going down in the pit, but not enough water to push water through the piping and out the pipe. The pump is shutting down

            too quickly to empty out the pit. <<< This really isn't a requirement all.....it's the switch that's causing this operation.


            I told her I cannot do anything with this pump as it's already raised in the pit on bricks to catch a larger water surface under her slabs to

            produce longer pumping cycles but the pump itself will not run an entire cycle until the water is removed. It will run 60 seconds I believe, shut down

            for 5 and repeat. Doesn't matter if the water is above the switch.......it's doing it's own systematic way of pumping.


            The customer is unplugging the unit for the night assuming no more rain. She said she tried to lay down and rest today after all the commotion and the

            method of operation of this pump kept her worried and irritated. << Her words not mine.


            I guess what I'm asking out of this thread is getting feedback from your engineers on this matter, what is being done to correct the problem with this pump.


            This should help them correct the problem hopefully and keep people buying the product.


            As a result of the above.......this woman is paying me twice to replace a pump, she wants peace of mind at this point and not have to worry about whether the pump is indirectly destroying itself by its mode of operation.


            I purposely left out the product I'm replacing the ridgid with for obvious reasons, I just thought if you merge all these inquiring threads all together, ridgid's customer base can

            get vital information and go from there.



            Oh and I bought a 25ft 3-ended Ridgid extension cord....the one that lights up when on. Saaaweeet!!!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Josh!

              I cleaned the thread up the rest of the way. Hopefully the two with unanswered posts

              get the auto-email replies with the current activity on this thread.


              I need some input from the plumbers on this site too...if you install them or

              other methods of how to correct the issue either temporarily or otherwise.
              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-13-2007, 09:46 PM.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Thanks Josh!

                Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                I cleaned the thread up the rest of the way. Hopefully the two with unanswered posts

                get the auto-email replies with the current activity on this thread.


                I need some input from the plumbers on this site too...if you install them or

                other methods of how to correct the issue either temporarily or otherwise.



                Sorry, I don't install anything but Zoeller Pumps, I am worried about all the rest

                I am very curious as to what the engineers will say about the 60 second run time and the 5 second delay.
                sigpic

                Robert

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Thanks Josh!

                  Wow, almost a year since the original post and Ridgid still hasn't fixed this problem. I just recently bought the SSP-1000 and am having the same problem too. Shame on you Ridgid!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Ssp-1000

                    I'm with Robert...Zoeller all the way, then sleep well at night.
                    Tried several Ridgids, they're ironically more expensive, the lifetime warranty lured me until I'd heard the difficulties dealing with the warranties & the moot purpose of a warranty on something as critical as a pump, when you can't just swap them at the distributor.
                    Ridgid is the best name in threading machines, tube cutters & wrenches..I'll buy those.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Ssp-1000

                      I see multiple threads about the SSP-1000 but I don't get it. I just bought one today, installed it, and its working great so far (yeah I know its just a day, but we will see what happens). By the time I got the old pump out and the new one in, my sump was 3/4 up to the top. I dropped the pump in, hooked up the check valve (which is positoned about 2ft above the basement floor, not sure if that makes a difference in anything) plugged it in, it kicked on 5 seconds after plugging it in, sucked all the water right out, sump ran empty, it had about 1 second of air/water sucking like others complained about, and then shut right off. After the initial run, it ran maybe one or two more times today. Seems to be functioning as it should. Water gets to the top of the sensor, pump kicks on. Maybe it does run just a tad longer then it should, but people on here are talking about theirs kicking on and off constantly. We are supposed to get some heavy rains over the next few days, and I am off of work so I will closely monitor the pump, but I don't forsee any major problems happening. Do people still recommend I drill the hole in the discharge pipe? If so, how high above the pump base do you recommend it be drilled?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Ssp-1000

                        Originally posted by 88Nightmare View Post
                        I see multiple threads about the SSP-1000 but I don't get it. I just bought one today, installed it, and its working great so far (yeah I know its just a day, but we will see what happens). By the time I got the old pump out and the new one in, my sump was 3/4 up to the top. I dropped the pump in, hooked up the check valve (which is positoned about 2ft above the basement floor, not sure if that makes a difference in anything) plugged it in, it kicked on 5 seconds after plugging it in, sucked all the water right out, sump ran empty, it had about 1 second of air/water sucking like others complained about, and then shut right off. After the initial run, it ran maybe one or two more times today. Seems to be functioning as it should. Water gets to the top of the sensor, pump kicks on. Maybe it does run just a tad longer then it should, but people on here are talking about theirs kicking on and off constantly. We are supposed to get some heavy rains over the next few days, and I am off of work so I will closely monitor the pump, but I don't forsee any major problems happening. Do people still recommend I drill the hole in the discharge pipe? If so, how high above the pump base do you recommend it be drilled?

                        Always drill a hole to prevent air lock on any submersible pump for dewatering or sewage removal.


                        Especially on that pump knowing it is sucking air into the impeller chamber when it overcycles.

                        Hey it's all good that you're getting good luck out of your pump. Like I stated, I am relaying the situations that played out with what the customer's supplied me with.


                        I can't mechanically change the performance of the pump.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Ssp-1000

                          Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          Always drill a hole to prevent air lock on any submersible pump for dewatering or sewage removal.


                          Especially on that pump knowing it is sucking air into the impeller chamber when it overcycles.

                          Hey it's all good that you're getting good luck out of your pump. Like I stated, I am relaying the situations that played out with what the customer's supplied me with.


                          I can't mechanically change the performance of the pump.
                          how high up from the pump base do you recommend placing the hole? how big does it need to be?


                          Out of boredom, I went and inspected my pump just now. Water was about 2/3 way up the sensor (pump was off). I took a cup of water and splashed it on the top of the sensor, it turned on immediately. Water got just below the sensor, and it had the gurgling noise, but when watching it, the water level never went below the top of the base. The water got as low as the threads where the discharge pipe connects, and thats it. The gurgling sound was really dull and not very loud at all, so I don't think its getting much air in at all, but I will still get that hole drilled in tomorrow. But like I asked, where should it be placed?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Ssp-1000

                            Usually it's supposed to be no higher than the top of the pump itself after it leaves the discharge port.


                            That hole should be no larger than 3/16" of an inch and always angle it downwards so it doesn't shoot across the pit and splash up.


                            Now I'm speaking of the "norm" for all submersibles but it might be a good idea to wait and see if the higher ups here at ridgid have a different recommendation.


                            But I will say this,

                            That customer that insisted I put that pump in? I drilled that hole to CMA so it doesn't air lock and flood the pit.....just like what happened to the last pump that I took out and had duct tape covering the hole.


                            You know why? The son of the elderly mother didn't understand the function and necessity of that hole and wrapped it with duct tape and sealed it off.

                            The pump overcycled and created an air pocket in the impeller chamber and when the next time the switch signalled to operate....


                            the impeller did a sit and spin with no chance of being able to force the check valve open to remove the contents of the pit.

                            This in turn allowed the pit to fill up and flood the basement with a perfectly working pump doing nothing but humming.

                            Replacement is the best application since you don't know how long the pump operated in this fashion.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Ssp-1000

                              so the hole must be angled downward or the drill must be angled downward? Basically, with my end result, do I want the opening of the hole pointed downward toward the pit or when I make the hole, so I take the drill tip and point it downward towards the pump and then drill my hole? Im sure there is a clear precise answer to this, I just want to make sure I do it right, this is the first sump pump I installed. It replaced our old pedestal style pump. The pedestal pump was still working, but we have no backup system, and the pump was AT LEAST 10-15 years old, if not more. Although it was working well, im afraid one of these days no one is going to be home during a heavy rainstorm, and then it stops working.... I am always a guy who insists on "if it aint broken dont fix it", but with this sort of thing, if it aint workin, by the time someone notices it, it will be too late. I saved the old one as a backup just in case something with this new one fails. So I installed the new pump with a new check valve sunday afternoon. We got one dosage of heavy rains this morning, with more on the way. So I am going to get that hole drilled ASAP

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X