X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rear discharg floor mounted toilet

Originally posted by bhead62 View Post
    Wait just a minute here!

1st you say you want to install a rear outlet floor mounted toilet. Fine, no problem. Rick was right about the rough-in for the flange (closer to 4" I think for most). Remember that's from FINISHED floor. Just be sure you know which toilet you are roughing in for. Chip a little conrete around the 3" stack to get the tee in-no biggie. Looks like you will have to cut the bottom silplate some. Cut in another tee for a lavy and you've got urself a new powder room Stay away from those wall mounted carriers toilets. Pricey and waay too much trouble for a DIY'er and it is just a basement bath. Now you say you want to add a tub/shower combo Let me introduce you to my good friend Jack Hammer. Nobody likes to break up concrete but it's really not that bad just a bit noisey and dusty. I'm not a fan of having a 6" step up to a platform in a bathroom. I've done it several times but these were large bathrooms and it does't look that bad. Consider the head height if you have a low cieling.

Bring in 10 different plumbers, give them all the same number of fittings and no 2 would be alike

~Bill
    When you cut in that tee for the toilet, how do you vent it? Rick is right, that you will still need to go underground to rough in the toilet. I have no experience with floor mounted back flush toilets (they are residential, and rare at that), but Rick says they require 3" to 4" above finished floor heighth (which, though it pains me, I have to assume he knows what he's talking about). If that is the case, he would need to be deep enough to get a 3" med. sweep and the centerline of a 3" x 2" low heel or 3" san tee at the centerline of the toilet outlet. This guy needs to find the elevation of his 3" drain (which I'm assuming is a drain based on the fact that there is a 3" x 3" x 2" x 2" double san tee installed in the drainage position). If he has the elevation, and wants to install a tub/shower he's going below the slab anyway, or raise floor elevation.

I would suggest laying out his new bathroom, quit screwing around, blow out the slab in that area, and rough it in.
    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
      This guy needs to find the elevation of his 3" drain (which I'm assuming is a drain based on the fact that there is a 3" x 3" x 2" x 2" double san tee installed in the drainage position). If he has the elevation, and wants to install a tub/shower he's going below the slab anyway, or raise floor elevation.

I would suggest laying out his new bathroom, quit screwing around, blow out the slab in that area, and rough it in.
      I agree 100%. The rear discharge and the wall hung are going to cost more then the little bit of labor it will take to do a conventional bathroom. As far as the platform goes there is a reason we have building codes. You need to check how high your finish ceiling will be before you think platform.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by plumbing View Post
        When you cut in that tee for the toilet, how do you vent it? Rick is right, that you will still need to go underground to rough in the toilet. I have no experience with floor mounted back flush toilets (they are residential, and rare at that), but Rick says they require 3" to 4" above finished floor eighth (which, though it pains me, I have to assume he knows what he's talking about). If that is the case, he would need to be deep enough to get a 3" med. sweep and the centerline of a 3" x 2" low heel or 3" San tee at the centerline of the toilet outlet. This guy needs to find the elevation of his 3" drain (which I'm assuming is a drain based on the fact that there is a 3" x 3" x 2" x 2" double san tee installed in the drainage position). If he has the elevation, and wants to install a tub/shower he's going below the slab anyway, or raise floor elevation.

You are right I can not use a floor mount rear discharge toilet their is no way to get the drain low enough. I do not understand plumbing the way you do. My question is IF I put in a wall mount toilet can I put in a vent in above the 3 inch line that I cut into for the waste drain.I do not mind spending the extra money ( I don't like it but I will do it). If I jackhammer I am worried that where I want to put the toilet their is already a tee there. I will need to remove about 9 or 10 feet of slab dig a bunch of dirt out then put in well I do not Know what you call it but the pipes will not move so the "thing" slides in and out so I can install tees or whatever I need. I do a lot of concrete jobs and I worry about getting the dirt back under the slab If I am not able to get it compacted correctly it will crack and crumble. It reminds me of when I built my house the electrician complained about the plumber, the plumber did not like what the H vac guy did, the H vac guy came back and he had no room to do his last runs and he was not happy with the plumber or the electrician. You guys know a lot more than I do about this and I really do appreciate all the help and input I can get I thank you for your time and professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by warnerww View Post
          You are right I can not use a floor mount rear discharge toilet their is no way to get the drain low enough. I do not understand plumbing the way you do. My question is IF I put in a wall mount toilet can I put in a vent in above the 3 inch line that I cut into for the waste drain.I do not mind spending the extra money ( I don't like it but I will do it). If I jackhammer I am worried that where I want to put the toilet their is already a tee there. I will need to remove about 9 or 10 feet of slab dig a bunch of dirt out then put in well I do not Know what you call it but the pipes will not move so the "thing" slides in and out so I can install tees or whatever I need. I do a lot of concrete jobs and I worry about getting the dirt back under the slab If I am not able to get it compacted correctly it will crack and crumble. It reminds me of when I built my house the electrician complained about the plumber, the plumber did not like what the H vac guy did, the H vac guy came back and he had no room to do his last runs and he was not happy with the plumber or the electrician. You guys know a lot more than I do about this and I really do appreciate all the help and input I can get I thank you for your time and professional help.
          How do you get the dirt back in? If you did alot of concrete jobs like you claim you would know the proceedure:

1) Shovel dirt back in.

2) Add a little water.

3) Use a compactor to smash it down.

Dude, time to call in a contractor. You're in way over your head. You've gotten alot of advice here, but you're looking for a magical, cheap, low labor solution. Doesn't exist.

Good luck.
          the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
            When you cut in that tee for the toilet, how do you vent it? Rick is right, that you will still need to go underground to rough in the toilet. I have no experience with floor mounted back flush toilets (they are residential, and rare at that), but Rick says they require 3" to 4" above finished floor heighth (which, though it pains me, I have to assume he knows what he's talking about). If that is the case, he would need to be deep enough to get a 3" med. sweep and the centerline of a 3" x 2" low heel or 3" san tee at the centerline of the toilet outlet. This guy needs to find the elevation of his 3" drain (which I'm assuming is a drain based on the fact that there is a 3" x 3" x 2" x 2" double san tee installed in the drainage position). If he has the elevation, and wants to install a tub/shower he's going below the slab anyway, or raise floor elevation.

thanks for the praise dog

a figure #6 no hub would give him the the most bang for the buck on a rear outlet. a san tee, 3x2 comby for vent and 4x3 closet bend will still keep him low, but add approx. 16'' from c/l of stack to right of left of c/l. but now he adds the tub/ shower combo

save the headaches and do it right. cut the slab and plumb it like the opposite wall bathroom. a tile floor will hide all the scars of the cut concrete.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

[QUOTE=PLUMBER RICK;74024]thanks for the praise dog

Rick,

I told you I was working on my people skills.

I looked up the dimentions of a figure 6 and the bottom of stack to centerline of the outlet is 9". You're correct that this is a big dimention saving from the traditional sweep, low heel rough in. But I don't see a listing for a 3".

By the way, what is the connection for those toilets.
              the dog

Comment

The prob is when you take dirt or gravel out under a slab you can not put it back . I Need to dig under an existing wall their is no way to compact it. I did not mean to insult you or make you angry. I was simply pointing out their are many things to look at while doing a project. I do not undrstand plumbing the way I would like to and want to learn more.

Comment

The prob is when you take dirt or gravel out under a slab you can not put it back . I Need to dig under an existing wall their is no way to compact it. I did not mean to insult you or make you angry. I was simply pointing out their are many things to look at while doing a project. I do not undrstand plumbing the way I would like to and want to learn more.

sand is more than sufficient, slurry is an over kill inside the house.

rick.

dog, the main issue with a rear outlet toilet is the ruff in height. no such thing as a 10'', 12'', or 14''. if you miss the floor height, or ever add a new floor, tile , wood. you're up the creek.

the flange is a normal flange the toilet mounts with a normal wax ring. the toilet then bolts to the floor with brass hanger bolts.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

warnerww...what about a macerating toilet? check saniflo.com. it may solve your problems regarding not disturbing the floor, circumvent the need for a platform and facilitate a lavatory and shower.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      sand is more than sufficient, slurry is an over kill inside the house.

rick.

dog, the main issue with a rear outlet toilet is the ruff in height. no such thing as a 10'', 12'', or 14''. if you miss the floor height, or ever add a new floor, tile , wood. you're up the creek.

the flange is a normal flange the toilet mounts with a normal wax ring. the toilet then bolts to the floor with brass hanger bolts.

rick.
                      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/ima...ons/icon10.gif

I'm with Rick on the backfill, even though I think he's a smart-***. What is *** now censored?
                      the dog

Comment

Finer9998 I have been thinking about that system. I am just not sure what I want to do. I can jackhammer the floor no problem been their done that. I just wanted to know if their was a simpler way to install a standard system. I was hoping the professionals could help me out but it turns out that their is no other way it is either macerating, wall mount the toilet and elevate the shower or tub or jackhammer. Thanks to everybody for your help. Although I still reserve the right to disagree about not digging under a weight bearing wall and then just putting sand or whatever you want to put and say that is good enough, tile will hide it. It may last 20 or even 30 years. Maybe they have come up with something I do not know about, but I have seen some pretty amazing things that people have done thinking "it's concrete it will hold" trust me even concrete can only stand so much pressure.

Comment

sand will compact to 90% without even compacting it. slurry, sand and a little cement, very soupy will compact to 100%. i doubt that your present compaction under your slab is this compact

cutting concrete and coring footings, is done on a daily basis. the tile or similar floor finish will hide any "concrete scar" that will be left behind. vinyl flooring will only hide it if the floor is properly prepped and floated.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Finer9998 I have been thinking about that system. I am just not sure what I want to do. I can jackhammer the floor no problem been their done that. I just wanted to know if their was a simpler way to install a standard system. I was hoping the professionals could help me out but it turns out that their is no other way it is either macerating, wall mount the toilet and elevate the shower or tub or jackhammer. Thanks to everybody for your help. Although I still reserve the right to disagree about not digging under a weight bearing wall and then just putting sand or whatever you want to put and say that is good enough, tile will hide it. It may last 20 or even 30 years. Maybe they have come up with something I do not know about, but I have seen some pretty amazing things that people have done thinking "it's concrete it will hold" trust me even concrete can only stand so much pressure.
                            If your wall is weight bearing it would have a footing under it.

Give it a break, you're looking for some magic formula that gets it done for free. Hire a contractor because you are clueless.
                            the dog

Comment

dog, i tried to explain to him, but what do i, we know

rick.

along with plumbing, i do core drilling, saw cutting, horizontal boring, and trenchless pipe replacement. i guess i still need to learn the tricks

just 2 days ago i cored a 5'' hole through a footing in the blind at 1/4'' pitch to line up with an exisiting sewer. hit it right on the money you can't hire a coring co. to lay out your plumbing, you need to do it yourself. this way i lay it out and drill it or cut it my self. no down time.

newest saw is a 12'' concrete chain saw. cuts square corners without overcutting and block walls to 10'' thick from 1 side. i guess i can cut a tree down if it's made from concrete
                              phoebe it is

Comment

warnerww,
                                keep us informed on your decision and progress, if you hit any bumps on the way let us know, there have been many posters this forum has walked through projects even more involved than yours.

have fun

Comment

Working...
                                X