X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear discharg floor mounted toilet

I am putting a new bathroom in my basement. I was thinking about a rear discharge floor mount model so I would not need to jackhammer. I have the main 3 inch pipe that comes from upstairs in a 2 by 6 wall. I thought I could tee into it then install a vent above the tee. First question does this sound like it will work. Second does anybody Know how these toilets work are they difficult to install are they higher than normal toilets any info would help

Re: rear discharg floor mounted toilet

don't think you will get the ruff in low enough without cutting into the concrete. the center line of the flange is approx. 3''-4'' a san tee would sit below the floor level for the bottom cut. you would need a san tee and comby, then closet bend. or you can use a 3'' x 2'' figure #6 which is a better choice. the issue is that the c/l to end of fitting is 7.5'' and then you will need to cut the concrete. this is only avaliable in no-hub pipe. not plastic.

truthfully the selection of rear outlet toilets are far and few. you might want to rethink your toilet installation. another installation would be a wall hung toilet. very pricey and requires more than a 2x6'' wall for the carrier. i believe there is a wall mount with tank that is made. "case" used to make them. look into "briggs" i think they make one

rick.

ps, welcome aboard
    phoebe it is

Comment

That sounds right to me, i guess the jackhammer is going to come out. I did not want to do it but what else can one do.

Comment

not so fast. wait until some more of the peanut gallery gives some suggestions. there are some real sharp guys here with some miles on them. you never know what they will think of

give them a day or so to check in, before the wrecking ball.

you caught the dog on a good day see what he has to say. utah and bob should also have some good suggestions and dirtyhands is the new kid on the block. there are plenty of others, but they don't check in daily.

have you looked into those toilets with maserator pumps they pump via a 3/4'' pvc line. not too many basements out here in southern calif.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

http://www.grohe.co.uk/s/25_15738/pa...e&mode=normal#

there are come interesting toilets if you scroll down. You only need a 2x6 wall to mount the carriers. Installing these is a bit trickierfor the layman the first go-round, but if ou take your time you'll do just fine.
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Maybe you could build the floor up to put you pipe into and still get by with you back outlet toilet,and not have to break up concrete. As far as how well they flush I have a pressure assited one and it work well, I think the brand is Gerber good luck Freddy

Comment

A friend of mine put in a basement bathroom and he built a platform to mount the toilet on. All the plumbing was under the platform, above the concrete floor. It was much easier to install, and it was also the focus of many conversations (the "throne", etc.).

- djb
              sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

The problem is the toilet is for my four year old so building it up really would not be a good idea she is kind of short (gee I wonder why). I am also trying to put a tub shower combo in without jackhammering. Here is a pic if it would help the 3 inch pipe to the left is the one that comes from upstairs. The middle one is for the vent for the toilet behind the wall and the one on the right vents the tub in that bathroom.

Comment

When you make the platform it will need to be oversized so you also stand on the platform. I shouldn't need to be that high if you just need clearance, even if you do the platform is just a step. Be creative with it!

Clato

Comment

ive done a few basement rough ins where the primary heat soruce is in-slab heating, and the homeowner didnt want to risk having me rupture a line.So what we did was build a 2x6 subfloor with 3/4 plywood, and there are just 2 small steps when entering the bathroom. I'll try to dig up some pics, it ended up looking quite nice.
                    West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                    Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      not so fast. wait until some more of the peanut gallery gives some suggestions. there are some real sharp guys here with some miles on them. you never know what they will think of

give them a day or so to check in, before the wrecking ball.

you caught the dog on a good day see what he has to say. utah and bob should also have some good suggestions and dirtyhands is the new kid on the block. there are plenty of others, but they don't check in daily.

have you looked into those toilets with maserator pumps they pump via a 3/4'' pvc line. not too many basements out here in southern calif.

rick.
                      All those names and I didn't get mentioned once!

Of course, I was just going to suggest standing a port-o-pottie in the corner and just pumping it out once a month or so.

That said... I suppose I can see why Rick didn't bring me up...

Comment

What do you guys think about building a 2 by 6 wall in front of the 3 inch pipe, then teeing it to go into the the new wall, then installing this Duravit wall mount bracket http://www.nextag.com/wall-mounted-toilet/search-html The question is, will I have enough room in the new 2 by 6 wall. Is it true the wall mounts have a 4 inch drain? Can I or better question should I put a reducer in to make it fit my 3 inch pipe if they do in fact have the 4 inch discharge.

Comment

with Your picture you would need a carrier to mount that toilet way to much money. Bigpipe09 expalined it the best. otherwise get out the jack hammer.

Comment

Wait just a minute here!

1st you say you want to install a rear outlet floor mounted toilet. Fine, no problem. Rick was right about the rough-in for the flange (closer to 4" I think for most). Remember that's from FINISHED floor. Just be sure you know which toilet you are roughing in for. Chip a little conrete around the 3" stack to get the tee in-no biggie. Looks like you will have to cut the bottom silplate some. Cut in another tee for a lavy and you've got urself a new powder room Stay away from those wall mounted carriers toilets. Pricey and waay too much trouble for a DIY'er and it is just a basement bath. Now you say you want to add a tub/shower combo Let me introduce you to my good friend Jack Hammer. Nobody likes to break up concrete but it's really not that bad just a bit noisey and dusty. I'm not a fan of having a 6" step up to a platform in a bathroom. I've done it several times but these were large bathrooms and it does't look that bad. Consider the head height if you have a low cieling.

Bring in 10 different plumbers, give them all the same number of fittings and no 2 would be alike

~Bill

Comment

I did the (throne) on my 2 floor, I`ll try and get you a picture of it. Looks pretty nice and you feel proud setting up there reading
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X