No announcement yet.

In series water heaters

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In series water heaters

Very active discussion; sorry I couldn't get back into it yesterday. Did the Easter bunny thing with kids and grandkids then hit the rack.
    The flow rate, as I remember it, with everything on is about 5gpm. The hot water side of the shower feed is teed at the hot water heater output with its' own ball valve going directly to the shower. Is not sharing that 3/4" line with anything else. The other side of the t goes to all other fixtures in the house; kitchen sink, two other full baths and the vanity in the subject bathroom.
    The existing 40 gallon heater has a 3" vent going straight up to the first floor and up through the roof from there. It may t into the furnace vent back over the furnace now that I think about it. That would make more sense. One wall by the heater separates it from the shower; the other on the backside, the garage. There is a 1/2" gas line supplying the heater which probably is teed off a 3/4" line also supplying the gas furnace next to the heater. (can't see that T connection).
    I was reading the flyer on the tankless heater and it mentioned something about what sounded like a power vent that had to go through an outside wall to vent. The smaller of the two heaters comes with a 3" vent which I was hoping I could tie into the 3" on the tank heater, but now I have my doubts. Venting outside means into the garage and that would be unacceptable.
    I am not familiar with recirculating systems, but there is nowhere I could put a tank. The water line and pressure tank (well and septic) is 20' away and everything between here and there is finished drywall. (By the way, I always try to talk people out of drywalling lower level ceilings for this very reason). I'm thinking the only thing I can do if this tankless heater idea flops is to put in a 75 gal. heater in place of the 40 gallon, which will be a tight squeeze plus the existing vent pipe is 3". A big waste of energy as they're not there 300 days out of the year plus the added hot water time won't be that much better for the cost of the project.
    Back to you guys, Mike
    By the way, thanks for all of the great input.

mike, you're stuck between a rock and a hard space

to in stall a second 40 gallon heater, which you don't have room, and you don't have a 4'' vent. the 75 will fit by itself, but still no 4'' vent.

how about a electric heater that has no vent. you can also install a timer on the circuit to allow for power savings when the owners are not there.

the best location for a tankless is outdoors and near the gas meter.

there are also tankless electric heaters, but those need to be installed next to the nuclear power plant

if you have an extra 200 amps to play with, you're in business.that would probably be the best solution. small space, no vent, only works when they use it.

just some suggestions. play with it.

phoebe it is

Thanks Rick. The ceiling in the furnace/water heater/ water softener "closet is open and about 12 feet away from the breaker panel. If I could snake a 12/3 Romex cable (legal in Wisconsin) over the top between the areas, throw in a dp breaker, throw in a 75 gallon elect heater with a shut off switch I think they would go for it. Especially since they won't be heating 40 gallons of water 300 days they're not there during the year. I'll explore that scenario. Thanks again.