Asbestos!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos!

I have a question regarding, Asbestos. To make a long story short, I had to take Asbestos of an old 2 inch black steel pipe. This is the first time I have ever worked with asbestos. About 1 foot of asbestos had to be taken off. I remember hearing you should keep watering it down as you peel the asbestos off. and Try not to creat dust, avoid creating as much dust possible. I may have enhaled some, am I going to die in a few weeks? should I go see a doctor or what? Any suggestions will due. Just curious, but I mean the amount of glue and solder smoke I have enhaled over the past 5 years, I think I'am as good as dead anyhow

Re: Asbestos!

lol no you will not die though that limited amount of contact time. but yes you should keep the dust to a minum. it takes years and years of expoure to the dust before you would even notice this problem. but on the same token any thing you can do to reduce risk to your self i would highy sujest that you do what you can.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

On the average most asbestos related illnesses take approximetly 20 years to develope.Some weird cases have deleoped sooner though.I would not worry about the amout you were exposed to.I was exposed to a large exposure back in 91 that lasted over and 1/2 hour in a court house basement. We were told all of the area we were working had been abated, and after raising concern the job was shut down and the abatement company brought back out and they confirmed it was asbestos.The local asbestos union told us to mark the date and have a chest x ray and after 20 years have x rays every year after. If you are still concerned ,contact the asbestos union in your area they were very helpful to us and we were working for a non union shop.

Comment

When I started out in HVAC I use to have to fill the bin with rolls of Asbestos tape we used to wrap ducts (wheat paste and tape). The dust was so bad I would choke and spit Asbestos for the rest of the day. While it is swomething to be concerned with it has been 35+years without a problem.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What happened to the asbestos that you demo'd I am afraid to ask? Did it go in a properly marked plastic bag labeled as asbestos and did it go to the proper disposal site? I am not sure but I don't think there is any relief for a small asbestos removal or abatement job. I think all work must be performed by properly trained and licensed asbestos contractors, not matter what the job size is. Only exception is probably a homeowner working on his (or her) own property, then you can get away with murder.

Whenever a homeowner says a contractor's price is too high I bet they never take into consideration the regulations that contractors must work under that the homeowner is exempt from or can usually get away with flat out ignoring. All the various insurances one must carry; training, licensing, and certifications; proper disposal of wastes, the list goes on and they all drive the price up...and none of it is profit...it's all basically pass-through costs that are part of doing business.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
          X