Totally stumped!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Totally stumped!!

This customer has had 3 different plumbers in his house for a total of 4 hours and no one has disconnected the cold inlet side of this 10 year old heater to check if his dip tube is still intact???

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      This customer has had 3 different plumbers in his house for a total of 4 hours and no one has disconnected the cold inlet side of this 10 year old heater to check if his dip tube is still intact???
      Rick suggested a dip tube problem. I agreed, but I have no "people skills." So, what do I know?
      the dog

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and here's the final result and thought. The customer went with roto rooter. Since they know me(I've never worked for them if that's what you're thinking) I can't go to their scrap bin to inspect the water heater and look at that dip tube.
        But here's my reasoning behind not checking the dip tube. If the dip tube is gone for whatever reason you will not be able to sustain a hot supply of water. But I clearly was, so the problem was after the heater but before the fixtures. Go back to my first post and you'll see what I mean.
        Not sure if the new heater will fix the problem. They put it in 5 hrs ago. We'll see. Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

Ben
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          Thanks for all the comments and here's the final result and thought. The customer went with roto rooter. Since they know me(I've never worked for them if that's what you're thinking) I can't go to their scrap bin to inspect the water heater and look at that dip tube.
          But here's my reasoning behind not checking the dip tube. If the dip tube is gone for whatever reason you will not be able to sustain a hot supply of water. But I clearly was, so the problem was after the heater but before the fixtures. Go back to my first post and you'll see what I mean.
          Not sure if the new heater will fix the problem. They put it in 5 hrs ago. We'll see. Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

Ben
          That totally sucks!!!!!!!

I wanted to see you get it

Comment

roto rooter Say it isnt so.....NO way, not roto rooter Yuk all the way
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

you said in your frist post that the house was 10 years old with the origainal water heater,and now you say it is only 5 and roto rooter put it in. am i missing something? are you missing something? not tring to give you a hard time if that is what it sounds like.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

ACS,
                What's wrong?????
                Don't you know the Roto Rooter song? LOL
                Jim Don

Comment

Mature thorough better than a Ford,
                  Sorry I wasn't clear; The original water heater was 10 yrs old. It was replaced 5 hrs ago by roto rooter (they owe me a couple). The customer now has a 5 hour old water heater. Hopes this makes sense. I grew up in Hawai'i so english is my second language.
                  Last edited by gear junkie; 04-12-2007, 10:50 PM. Reason: forgot something
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

yup that helps
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                      ACS,
                      What's wrong?????
                      Don't you know the Roto Rooter song? LOL
                      Jim Don
                      Sure I do. It goes like this....

Call Roto Rooter
                      that's the name
                      and piss your money, down the drain

Come on, sing it with me
                      Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 04-12-2007, 11:03 PM.
                      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I don't know what roto rooter did, but if they replaced the water heater, and it solved the problem, it must have been a dip tube problem.
                        Brent

Comment

i'm confused. did you have roto rooter out to have the problem fixed? In the last couple days?
                          Brent

Comment

If it was a rotton dip tube, the real problems are just beginning............

Comment

I know now it's a moot point but, how could disconnecting the faucet riser eliminate the mixing valves from this scenario? I don't think it does. I agree that it probably was not the diptube if you were getting continuous hot water from the tank at the point of exit while the homeowner was in the bathroom getting cold water only!
                              I would turn off one or both of the washing machine faucets. I've seen maybe a half dozen of those mixing valves in the machine leak (in the past 30 yrs).
                              I hope the homeowner calls you back when the new w.h. doesn't solve the problem.
                              "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Roto Rooter fails again. Customer's wife calls me yesterday morning and says the problem is still there and worse than before but the husband regrets giving the job to someone else so that's why she had to call. I went straight to the washing machine and turned on the hot water. Same problem. While the hot water was running and still cold, I turned off the cold water at the valve on the wall.

Instant hot water! I swear the heavens parted and angels started singing. Changed the valve and solenoid(just in case) on the washing machine. The hoses didn't have screens on them and I installed new hoses too. After taking the valve apart I saw there was sedimentation on the seat and the solenoid might have been weak but that's just a theory. In any case the problem's solved.

Big thanks goes to Big Thom who led me into this idea. There were so many replies on the dip tube I was starting to second guess myself. Ah, not so much.
                                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X