X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burner Ratings and working........

I got a question for anyone whos keen out there.... If im installing a gas cooker with 4 hob burners (5kw total), a grill burner (5kw) and an oven burner (5kw) without any extra type of ventalation, whats the formula for each of the burner ratings in terms of m3 (meters cubed)? Thanks a heap

Re: Burner Ratings and working........

This isn't the answer but it may help in finding it.
    http://users.vnet.net/cmstone/metric/mfacts2.htm

Comment

jimmy, in the usa, we use therms. 1100 btu's to 1 therm. you might want to talk to your local gas supplier for the conversion formula.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

this is from a gas fired heating stove,
        and the info is on page 6 of the manual,
        http://www.villager.co.uk/pdf/owners_gas.pdf
        the unit is approximate a 5KW unit, and below are the specifications, this should be able to put you in a working area to figure for your units, and the fuel usage,

Gas type,,,,,,,,,,,,,Natural Gas ( G20 ).............Propane LPG (G31)
        Gas category,,,,,,,,12H,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,13P
        Setting pressure,,,,,,20mb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,37m b
        Injector size,,,,,,,,,,,,1.75mm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1.2 4mm
        Gas input Gross,,,,,,,,5.5kW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5.7kW
        Efficiency Class,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1
        Gas flow rate,,,,,,,,,,,0.52cu m/hr,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0.215cu m/hr

(it looks like about .5 cu m/hr per 5kw burner unit on natural gas or .2 cu m/hr on LPG)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        5kw is about 17,060 BTU

Heat output is measured in watts or kilowatts (kW). The old imperial calculation, still preferred by some people, is measured in BTU's (British Thermal Units). To convert watts to BTU divide by 0.293. Therefore 2930 watts (2.93kW) becomes 10,000 BTU.

we in the states use the BTU rating, and on natural gas, cubic feet or therms and on LP we buy it in gallons, (American gallons, not imperial),

http://www.unctad.org/infocomm/anglais/gas/quality.htm
        The amount of energy that is obtained from the burning of a volume of natural gas is measured in British thermal units (Btu). The value of natural gas is calculated by its Btu content. One Btu is the quantity of heat required to raise the temperature of one pound of water of 1 degree Fahrenheit at atmospheric pressure. A cubic foot of natural gas on the average gives off 1,000 Btu, but the range of values is between 500 and 1,500 Btu.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energyfa...alculator.html
        1 gallon of propane = 91000 Btu

so to do the calculations would be kinda fun, converting back and forth,
        but I think you will be able to make a close calculation from the specifications of the above European stove above,

so if 5 kw = 17060 BTU, and it takes one cu/ft of natural gas to 1000 BTU the 5 kw would equal approx 17 cu/ft,
        a cubic meter is (according to the conversion table posted by Woussko) says there are 35.31 cubic ft per cu/meter, (my quick calculation was 39" cubed was 34328125 cu/in. a cubic foot is 1728 cu/inches, divided out about 34 cubic feet,) 17 is half of 34cu/ft (35.31 if you want to be accurate), so about a half of a cubic meter of gas is need for ever 5kw, (natural gas) per hour,
        Last edited by BHD; 04-11-2007, 05:41 PM. Reason: to do the english to metric calculation,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

as I have reread the original post I am guessing this is what your looking for,

A "Orifice Flow Capacities chart".

the one at this site has both metric and BTU, natural gas and LPG

http://www.gameco.com.au/tech/orifice.htm

so I hope this helps.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          in the US we use a numbered drill size for most orifices, insted of a metric. sizing as well, jsut to make it more fun,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks so much for the feedback, well with a little bit of researching and all of your suggestions I got onto the right track.Over here we use the 50W/m3 or 100W/m3 rules depending weather or not the burner has a thermostat For example the hobs and grill burners dont have thermostat, but the oven burner does. Im guessing these formulas are similar to the ones you use over there but use different unit and conversion rates. Cheers for your help, this forum's magic! Jimmy

Comment

I agree 100%

Comment

Working...
              X