Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    I'm being sarcastic but it seems anymore that people are using far more water and energy than they used to.

sarcastic or not i hear ya, and i agree completly
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Okay with the help of Bob's link I found some info. It looks like the heater is 4.5 kWh and has a first hour recovery of 62 gallons. The tub is likely somewhere around 45-gallons to the flood rim. No one will fill the tub to the flood level and if they did it certainly would not be 100% hot water. However, they are probable using hot water elsewhere which is depleting the source.

To compare this 50-gallon electric hot water heater to a 50-gallon natural gas heater like the AO Smith ProMax would disapoint anyone. The 50-gallon ProMax is hardly high recovery but still has a first hour recovery of 91-gallons. Even a 30-gallon ProMax has a first hour recovery of 66-gallons. I'm wondering if they are comparing this electric heater's output to a gas heater they had at their old house?

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        OK....Not theres the Problem right there....this is no BS!!!!!! Junk it right now and get a real water heater!!!!!!!!! Home Depot water heaters are JUNK
        slow down all clear

what you're saying is not going to fix the problem. it's not the heater. it's the tub size and being electric is even worse when it comes to recovery rate. any residential heater is only going to produce a 70% return on capicty. even less in cold climate states. changing a water heater from a 50 gallon g.e to a name brand is only going to duplicate the same results.

i'll put money on the line that replacing a properly working g.e. with a name brand heater is going to give you the same results. typically these heaters are 4500- 5500 watts. with an alternating element. only 1 element works at a given time.

the bucket test is the only accurate way to test the heater. 35 gallons at 100 degrees or better is all you should get while running the heater with the heater turned on. draining the heater from the bottom will give you 50 gallons. running it like it's hooked up will give you 35 usable gallons. not rocket science, but just plain plumbing 101.

do yourself a favor, try this test. don't replace the heater unless the results are way less than 35 gallons. also make sure that the 2 thermostats are set to 125- 130. also check or measure the tub capicty.

sorry to jump on you all clear, but you made a very bad call. g.e is a rheem heater with a g.e. stamp. no different than what we buy at the supply house.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

GSPH

What kind of heat does this house have and what's the energy source for it?
          Last edited by Woussko; 04-14-2007, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Is there a formula on putting two units in series as to the increased capacity?

I know it seems to more than double the available hot water,

I know I was having problems, getting enough hot water in my meat cutting room, when I would butcher a steer, when cleaning up the grinder and saw and the general washing that needed to be done of tubs and trays, etc,

I had a single 30 gallon under counter electric hot water heater that is the normal HW in the barn for the milk room and the meat room, but I keep running out when major clean up was done, so I located (was given a low capacity 30 gallon gas unit after my son up graded to a higher recovery unit, he was always running out of hot water), I hooked them together in series, and light the gas on when I am going to do beef or cut meat,

I know I doubled the storage capacity, and that in it self helps, but the recovery of the two working together is amazing, (now I don't have any facts to back this statement up, but it seems as if I will get three to four times the hot water out of the two in series, than if the two were individual).

As of yet I have yet to run out of hot water in the meat room when I use the two HW heaters, together,

and for clean up I normally use a garden hose hooked to an insulated garden spray nozzle, so there is a good flow of water,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              Is there a formula on putting two units in series as to the increased capacity?

I know it seems to more than double the available hot water,

I know I was having problems, getting enough hot water in my meat cutting room, when I would butcher a steer, when cleaning up the grinder and saw and the general washing that needed to be done of tubs and trays, etc,

I had a single 30 gallon under counter electric hot water heater that is the normal HW in the barn for the milk room and the meat room, but I keep running out when major clean up was done, so I located (was given a low capacity 30 gallon gas unit after my son up graded to a higher recovery unit, he was always running out of hot water), I hooked them together in series, and light the gas on when I am going to do beef or cut meat,

I know I doubled the storage capacity, and that in it self helps, but the recovery of the two working together is amazing, (now I don't have any facts to back this statement up, but it seems as if I will get three to four times the hot water out of the two in series, than if the two were individual).

As of yet I have yet to run out of hot water in the meat room when I use the two HW heaters, together,

and for clean up I normally use a garden hose hooked to an insulated garden spray nozzle, so there is a good flow of water,
              In series the first water heater is simply pre-heating the water for the second heater. The reason you have more hot water with the addition of the gas hot water heater is the gas hot water heater likely makes 2-3 times the hot water as the electric heater makes.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
              X