Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

    Hi! I'm an office manager trying to help one of our plumbers get something in black and white for a problem customer.

    Here's the situation. Customer has:

    GE 50 gallon electric water heater
    Model SE50M12A
    Serial GE0899409335

    Standard length bathtub, DOUBLE WIDE.

    She bought the home 2 weeks ago, just moved in. Our company is the vendor for her Home Warranty company. We have been out there for the original call --not enough hot water, and one recall. She called the warranty company again, insisting there is something wrong.

    The tech has tested the water heater, did the bathtub test, everything is operating normally, no failure, none zero zip.

    I'm running out of plumbers to send, she keeps wanting a new one to find something, anything wrong. We have explained it to the insurance (warranty) company, and they want us to go out AGAIN. We would like to have something IN HAND, to show her that her 50 gallon tank is too small, OR that her bathtub is too big!

    Logic is not working.

    The insurance won't replace it till the liner fails. The tank is not leaking.

    Any ideas?

  • #2
    Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

    How many gallon tub is this thing???

    Tell her to show your tech just what is going on so he`ll have a better idea of what the problem is. If it dosent happen while she`s showing him tell her that you cant fix a problem unless there`s a problem
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

      Maybe try this and keep good notes.

      Using a thermometer and 5 gallon pail, measure the water temp with just the hot valve open in the tub. Find out how much water you can draw until the temp is down to 105F. Also check and note the temp of the water every pail full. Or, you might try filling the tub with just hot water (no one in tub) and when it's filled up measure the water temp. Maybe she is trying to do laundry and run the dishwasher while filling the tub too???. I think you would do well to send more than just one person on your next service call. This could be a customer problem and not a technical issue.
      Last edited by Woussko; 04-14-2007, 12:29 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

        Originally posted by GSPH View Post
        Hi! I'm an office manager trying to help one of our plumbers get something in black and white for a problem customer.

        Here's the situation. Customer has:

        GE 50 gallon electric water heater
        Model SE50M12A
        Serial GE0899409335

        Standard length bathtub, DOUBLE WIDE.

        She bought the home 2 weeks ago, just moved in. Our company is the vendor for her Home Warranty company. We have been out there for the original call --not enough hot water, and one recall. She called the warranty company again, insisting there is something wrong.

        The tech has tested the water heater, did the bathtub test, everything is operating normally, no failure, none zero zip.

        I'm running out of plumbers to send, she keeps wanting a new one to find something, anything wrong. We have explained it to the insurance (warranty) company, and they want us to go out AGAIN. We would like to have something IN HAND, to show her that her 50 gallon tank is too small, OR that her bathtub is too big!

        Logic is not working.

        The insurance won't replace it till the liner fails. The tank is not leaking.

        Any ideas?
        There are too many senarios with your question to give you a definite answer. For whatever reason I could not find a GE web site which would tell me how many watts the heater is. I did find a web site which says it meets a program for the City of Seatle so it may be a special size heater. The bottom line is a 50 gallon electric does not make a lot of hot water for any more than two people in a famuily.

        My suggestion would be to send a real plumber out there with a 5-gallon bucket, an amp probe and a digital thermometer. The heater should show the specs on the label and the plumber should be able to figure out whether the heater is preforming to specs or not. A new 50-gallon heater which preforms the same as the existing 50-gallon heater would not be a repair.

        Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

        I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

          This is from the Rheem site, pretty sure they make the GE's as well.

          I states that the 50gal water heater from a fully recovered state will produce 35 gal of water within 20° F of the thermostat set point.

          It is the 'first hour' rating and will be on the units energy guide label.

          Perhaps her point should be that she bought the house with the tub and the water heater so the builder has the responsibility to properly size the water heater.

          A standard tub requires a minimum of 26 gal to float your boat and holds around 47 gal to the overflow with no people displacement. If the tub is really 'double' normal she needs an 75 gal heater minimum and if she is like my wife (full tub trickle the overflow and re-warm a few times) more like 100 or 2 50's

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

            Wayne should get an award. Very good info there.

            I had to go back and now I see it's an electric water heater and a pretty new one. More than likely the thermostat is set at about 120F for safety reasons and to save energy.

            Wayne has a good point that if it is a double size tub, you'll need a larger (or a second) water heater and especially in the winter.

            Another issue with how much water you can draw until the temp reaches X is what is the temp of the water going into the heater. People with deep drilled wells may have 35-40 F water going into their water heater year round. In the summer my city water runs about 75F July - August, but right now it's at 50F. In the cold of January it's about 40-45F. I'm thinking about recovery, but when filling a bath tub there's no way it can keep up.

            I think she does have a good point that if the tub was in there before she rented the place that she sould be able to use it.

            Add-on: You need to think about how many gallons of cold and how many of hot for say 5 gallons of the desired temp. Let's say that the cold water is 35F and the hot from the heater is 120F and you want warm water. You'll need far more hot to cold than if the cold were say 70F.
            Last edited by Woussko; 04-13-2007, 09:54 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

              I like the 5 gallon pail idea, and taking the specs sheet that show recovery for the 50 gallon tank. That's pretty blank and white.

              I think Rheem does make them, I couldn't find the WHs at the GE site either, and read somewhere that Rheem makes them. The boss thinks they were sold at Home Depot although they only have a small one in our area right now.

              I printed the Rheem doc, that will be VERY useful! THANK YOU to Wayne.
              Last edited by GSPH; 04-13-2007, 09:44 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

                GE water heaters are available exclusively from Home Depot (U.S. and Canada only).
                http://www.geappliances.com/smartwat...ters/index.htm

                Use-Care-Install manual

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

                  OK....Not theres the Problem right there....this is no BS!!!!!! Junk it right now and get a real water heater!!!!!!!!! Home Depot water heaters are JUNK
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

                    Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                    GE water heaters are available exclusively from Home Depot (U.S. and Canada only).
                    http://www.geappliances.com/smartwat...ters/index.htm

                    Use-Care-Install manual
                    Yeah that's what I found as well but you would think they would include the specs.

                    Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

                      Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                      OK....Not theres the Problem right there....this is no BS!!!!!! Junk it right now and get a real water heater!!!!!!!!! Home Depot water heaters are JUNK
                      If you look at their manual you will see they are Rheems.

                      Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                      I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

                        Mark, I eventually got to the GE parts site but it did not recognize the model and if you do a help on the model you quickly realize there are no water heater parts on there. You go to the rheem site and it would appear they are not overly proud that they make the GE heaters as there is no cross reference to GE anywhere

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

                          Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                          Mark, I eventually got to the GE parts site but it did not recognize the model and if you do a help on the model you quickly realize there are no water heater parts on there. You go to the rheem site and it would appear they are not overly proud that they make the GE heaters as there is no cross reference to GE anywhere
                          LOL-I just did the same thing.

                          Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

                            It's made by RHEEM

                            Go here:

                            http://www.sce.com/NR/rdonlyres/7AD4...PLEF050806.pdf

                            or here:

                            http://www.sdge.com/residential/electricWH.xls

                            and look on page 3 at the top of the page.

                            Manufacturer Name: RHEEM MFG. CO., WATER HEATER DIV
                            Trade Name: General Electric
                            Model Number: SE50T12*
                            Energy Factor: 0.94
                            Storage Volume(Gals.): 50


                            This list is also interesting comparison of all different fuel water heaters and operating costs.

                            Last edited by Bob D.; 04-13-2007, 10:54 PM.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Customer problem RE: water heater & tub

                              GSPH

                              The bottom line is that Wayne is correct in that you're going to need either a larger water heater tank size or a second water heater to fill that double wide tub. This would be especially true if the lady is petite. A big person will displace more water than a tiny one, but even so when you have a big tub it takes lots of water to fill it. What other items does she have that need lots of hot water? 25 pounder clothes washer? Shower with more than one head or an unrestricted head? Fancy Dancy car wash setup? --- I'm being sarcastic but it seems anymore that people are using far more water and energy than they used to.

                              Does this house by any chance have hot water heat?
                              Last edited by Woussko; 04-13-2007, 11:10 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X