X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Noise .....

Hey Guys, I love your site...But looking over the threads I can't seem to find a problem like ours. Our water pipes are making a strange noise when there is small amount of water pressure used such as when filling dw. Don't laugh...but the noise sound like whoop, whoop, whoop.
    The noise also appears when we flush the toliets...just at the end of the flush and very slightly. Our plumber said he has never heard anything like it. By the way we had to have the "pop off valves" replaced on both of HWH's as they were leaking through the overflow vents on the outside of the house. This may be your biggest mystery to date...Any help or insight would be appreciated...Thanks...

Re: Weird Noise .....

Originally posted by Aubie3000 View Post
    Don't laugh...but the noise sound like whoop, whoop, whoop.
    You obviously have Arsenio Hall trapped in your wall. Just bang on the wall and tell him he's not funny any more!
    Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

I love it! ...I just wish it were that easy...

Comment

Our plumber said he has never heard anything like it. By the way we had to have the "pop off valves" replaced on both of HWH's as they were leaking through the overflow vents on the outside of the house. This may be your biggest mystery to date...Any help or insight would be appreciated...Thanks...
        You need a new plumber.....mystery solved

It could be a number of different things or a combination of several. Have the new plumber check your water pressure and/or pressure reducing valve (PRV) if you have one or you can check it yourself. About $10 at home depot screws onto outside hose faucet. I like to use a gauge that has a high limit mark and leave it on overnight (pressure goes much higher middle of the night) Do both of your water heaters have expansion tanks? Might be related...might not. Pressure shoudn't be over 60 psi. If you shut the valve off to the dishwasher do you still here the noise? I'm guessing you will get at least 10 different replies to this thread. At least one of them will lead you to the culprit.

Comment

Did your plumber check the water pressure? I wonder why both pop-offs were leaking. It should be under 80psi.
          Brent

Comment

I don't think that he checked the water pressure...But I will call him back and ask him to check it...if that is the problem what will he need to do? Thanks

Comment

High water pressure could be caused by 2 things:

Pressure reducing valve is malfuntioning and needs to be replaced or if you dont have one put one in.(but only if it's over 80 psi) This valve is located just after the main shutoff valve to the house. It keeps water presssure in the house at a safe level.

Your water heaters don't have expansion tanks installed on them. Small bladder tank on cold water line just above heater absorbs the expansion when water is heated. Some people will tell you water does not expand when heated but it does...not very much but it needs somewhere to expand to. If your water meter has a backflow preventer device on it as most do nowadays the only place for it to go is out the relief valves (pop off valves) on water heaters. These valves are preset to open at 150psi or 210 degrees The new valves on your water heaters will fail soon enough if this is not corrected.

2 relief valves failing at the same time is no coincedence. Still not convinced the leaking valves and Arsenio Hall noises are related.

Keep us updated we all want to know the outcome

~Bill

Comment

Aubie, You can get your own pressure gauge (0-200 PSI) at a good hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes (better yet check a good plumbing supply house) should have them in the plumbing section. They come with an adaptor so you can screw it on to a male garden hose fitting. Then open the valve and read the pressure. Please see below for more info. On this one by Watts, there are two pointers. The black one is the presure in real time and the red one is the max pressure. You can reset it back to 0 when you like.
                Attached Files

Comment

the pressure relief vlves are typically set to open at 125# or 150#. not checking the pressure when you have a relief valve leaking, is like a doctor not checking blood pressure when you have pain in your heart

time to get a qualified plumber. you definitely have a pressure issue. it could be thermal expansion too. you need to check the high pressure and reduced pressure and post the readings. the high pressure is prior to the regulator. if it's over 125-150 then thermal expansion is a real concern. also if you have any check valve on the cold system a thermal expansion tank is required. the low pressure side needs to be less than 80#, i like 65# for my settings.

post your pressure and hire a qualified plumber

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Guys, I have been reading your helpful comments and and talking to my husband about them.. he says he "thinks" the construction company put a pressure regulator on the system when they installed the sprinkler system. We are wondering if maybe it has gone bad or something like that. I am going to call the plumber and get him to check it out....Thanks for all of your help...

Comment

Ps....I'll let you all know how it turns out....

Comment

He Guys...
                        My "New Plumber" Came out today and checked the pressure and said it was 140 LBS. He replaced the valve at the street and the "weird noise" has gone. Just had to let you know that you all were right. Thanks for all of your help...

Comment

He Guys...
                          My "New Plumber" Came out today and checked the pressure and said it was 140 LBS. He replaced the valve at the street and the "weird noise" has gone. Just had to let you know that you all were right. Thanks for all of your help...

YIKES!!! 140 lbs?? What valve at the street was replaced exactly?

Comment

Pressure Valve? I think ...he set the pressure at 60 lbs...
                            I think he did a good job... He said it was a very cheaply made valve and the one he used was brass. He said that since we are having so much new construction and the city continues to raise the pressure in the mains he is not surprised at anything any more. He said he has already replace d sveral valves in this neighborhood.

Comment

Hey you all...
                              Just a quick update on the "Weired noise"...The homeowners assoc. had meeting concerning the pressure problems in the neighborhood. The city sent a representative and said he knew about a replacement part that can be used in the comode. It's made by Watts and it's a tank filler valve(I think). It has a release valve on it or in it. Sometimes at night you can hear the the pressure being released. It's working(so far)...
                              Thanks for all of your help and God Bless...

Comment

Working...
                              X