Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old American Standard Leaking

HI,

I have a old american standard that is not praticle to replace, it is a wall mount, ( I know the walmount are very expensive) and it matches the color of the bath tub and sink. It was installed in 1963 when the house was built.

It has 2 problem.

1. Water has recently started leaking from the tank to the bowl, I suspect the the stopper or perhaps a seal that is part of the stopped setup is bad allowing water to leak into the tank. I know it is a easy fix on normal toilets, but I belive from what I have read and from what I have been told that this repair is not going to use standard off the shelf parts, but I could be wrong.

2. The flush handle, well it sucks, it is a push button and you have to hold it for like 20 seconds to flush. I need a normal flush handle that you can just push down and have it work.

Any ideas on were to find the proper replacement parts for this unit?

Thanks
    Jamie
    wiscosnin

Re: Old American Standard Leaking

Jamie, there are numbers stamped into the tank on the inside to help you. Take down those numbers and find a plumbing suppy house that deals with American Standard in your area. They should be able to get the parts for you. Just yesterday I rebuilt a American Standard from 1954 with exact replacement parts.

Good luck

Comment

1963 wall mounted colored toilet with a push button lever?

It's toilets like these that make plumbers like us rich.

You have 2 choices:
      remodel the whole bath (it is dated early 60's)

Track down some $$$ parts for that thing and find a competent plumber to install them.

Sounds like its the Vent-A-Way product line. Your right on the tank lever sucking. Push the button to remove foul odors when using it. Never worked as they advertised.

Post ALL the numbers inside the tank and on bottom of tank lid. These still a few places you can get these parts from around here.

~Bill
      Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM.

Comment

the oval tank handle is the "roma" line, either vented or non vented. parts are avaliable but not cheep. the handle just needs to be lubed and adjusted. the flush valve assy needs to be replaced.

if you post a few pictures it would be better than a part# for me. take a good shot inside the tank.

if it is a roma/ vent away. the toilet seat alone cost $125.00

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Goodmorning,

Thank you all for your responsed to my toilet problem.

Answer to your questions;

The main number inside the lid is F404074

I didn't know exactly what photos would be most helpful, so I took a series of clear close up photos and uploaded them. You can see the photos here:

http://www.pixagogo.com/7991124151

(I know the push button was put on after market, but do not know if it was suppose to have a push button or a lever in the first place?)

Thanks again for your help. Please let me know if there are other questions that I can answer.

Getting it to stop leaking water into the bowl from the tank is the most serious problem, as it is using a lot of extra water, I hear it refilling the tank, perhaps as often as every 10 or 15 minutes now.

Jamie D.
          wisconsin

Comment

Jamie

a $6 flapper and a regular $8 tank lever with fix your toilet. Availible at any hardware store. That tank lever belongs on an Eljer toilet not this American Standard model.

Looks like that color is Venetian Pink or Peach Blossom hard to tell with that fluorescent lighting

~Bill

Comment

My guess is all you need is a new flapper. There is not a part in that tank which you could not replace for under $20. Be careful with the tank lid though as a used lid that color is probably hard to find. I think even a used white tank lid for an American Standard F4040 is going for over $200.

Mark.
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

for under $20.00 you can replace the flapper, ballcock fluidmaster 400a, tank handle and the feed line. simple 10 minute job.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  for under $20.00 you can replace the flapper, ballcock fluidmaster 400a, tank handle and the feed line. simple 10 minute job.

rick.
                  With her big doe eye's,soft squeeky voice,and hands clenched to her heart she sigh's, "MY HERO"

Comment

I'm still trying to place that trip lever and I don't believe it came from an Eljer. It seems I remember them being an after-market brand that hung on the wall at the supply house 20-years ago. We carried them on our trucks and I don't remember having any problems with them.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                      I guess it depends on who the "you" is.

Mark

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help.

I was under the impression that these parts were different than the normal rebuilt parts you get from the hardware store. However from what you have said here, it sounds like they are the standard parts.

I will pick up one of the toilet rebuild kits tommrow and give the repair a try.

Thanks again

Jamie

Comment

Re: Old American Standard

Hurricane Sandy came and went. Without water for a week we filled up a can with water and poured into the tank so we could flush. At some point i guess the pressure of the water being poured into the tank broke a piece off the base of the am where (im guessing here) the water REFILLS the tank. Theres a rubber tube connecting to this piece. The tank will hold water, but it wont refill itself. Can anybody tell me what PART im looking for? Ill post a pic of it if i can.... im really not too great at this. But we cant afford a remodel or a plumber, considering my job is in Hoboken. (a.k.a. I'm jobless.)Attachment Its the white part. anybody?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Old American Standard

you need to post a larger higher resolution picture. can't enlarge it to see.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Looks like one of those submersible fill valves that sit on the bottom of the tank.
                              Replacing with Fluidmaster 400 A should solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X