Proper technique

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper technique

There has been an ongoing disscussion at our plant site as to whether a pipe wrench or any wrench should be pulled or pushed. I've always been told to pull a wrench if at all possible. There are times when the only option is to push. It seems natural to pull, as one has more strength this way and can brace one's self incase of slippage. When the wrench is pushed, use an open palm, beware of knukle busters and find a means of not falling into the work. There's probably no hard rules. Opinions?

Re: Proper technique

Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy,lotta good guys here.

I find more torque on the pull.

Lot of push installing threaded pipe under house.So I guess a lot has to do with your position.Standing upright tightening a drop is a push,standing upright tightening a riser is a pull.I'm right handed.AAAHHH more bable

Hope you like it here as much as I.

Adam

Comment

Ahh good question Bruce.

First you should have a wrench in each hand, one to hold back the other to turn. I just had a lecture with my new helper about this. He wants to use the open palm method. I used the palm method too when I first started out because it was easier to use my wieght to push than my grip strenth to pull. Now I have Popeye forearms and rarely push unless its neccesary. Open palm will save your knuckles but it becomes a safety factor when you slip and loose your balance and the wrench

When it just won't come loose put the back against the wall and push with the legs

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

When it just won't come loose put the back against the wall and push with the legs
        that's how i herniated a disc in my back a number of years ago. took 3 years to feel better.

typically you should always hold back with a second wrench. therefore 1 wrench is pulling, while the other wrench is pushing.

now if the pipe is in a vice, you can use whatever method you have more strength with. if it's a tripod vice, turn in a direction that won't lift or flip the tripod

personally i prefer the pull, it's more controlled and less chance of slipping.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

if you have to use your body weight to get it and you slip you are going to get hurt.

so pull if you can and if you cant get it get a bigger wrench .and there is still other ways to help a little heat ,penetrating oil and all other types of things to help .
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by bruce adams View Post
            There has been an ongoing disscussion at our plant site as to whether a pipe wrench or any wrench should be pulled or pushed. I've always been told to pull a wrench if at all possible. There are times when the only option is to push. It seems natural to pull, as one has more strength this way and can brace one's self incase of slippage. When the wrench is pushed, use an open palm, beware of knukle busters and find a means of not falling into the work. There's probably no hard rules. Opinions?
            i think the best would be the pull.. use a longer wrench it will have more leverage..

Comment

Beyond using a back-up wrench, I don't believe it matters whether you are pushing or pulling. That should have more to do with the area you are working in. The trick is to use the proper size wrench so you are not streching the limitations of yourself or the tool.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

So hows that gonna effect your golf swing Rick. Am I gonna have to give you a couple stokes a hole in June?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                that's how i herniated a disc in my back a number of years ago. took 3 years to feel better.

typically you should always hold back with a second wrench. therefore 1 wrench is pulling, while the other wrench is pushing.

now if the pipe is in a vice, you can use whatever method you have more strength with. if it's a tripod vice, turn in a direction that won't lift or flip the tripod

personally i prefer the pull, it's more controlled and less chance of slipping.

rick.

Comment

If you don't know how to use a pipe wrench, call a qualified plumber.
                  the dog

Comment

My dad taught me that it depended on which way the jaws were open. If the jaws are open towards you, then you pull, if the jaws are away from you, you push. I always try to pull, when possible, it seems that you have more control.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      So hows that gonna effect your golf swing Rick. Am I gonna have to give you a couple stokes a hole in June?
                      i hope you took your clubs to belguim and practiced

i should be golfing with an electrician buddy friday morning.

it's not pretty, but it goes down the fairway

welcome back josh, all quiet since you were out

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Hands down , you should always be doing both simultaneously , any time I'm turning a wrench I,m putting opposite force on something near the part in question - if impossible to do , pushing seems to give more control while pulling gives you added force

Comment

Working...
                        X