X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand

I'm a General Contractor (small) here in MN. I make decent $$$, paying my bills, feeding my kids, and affording the business w/extra dollars in my account, know what I mean right. Now here is my is what just blows my mind. I was quoted $3500.00 ($2200.00 for furnace and the rest labor fee) by 6 plumbing business for a 95% high efficiency furnace, and all of them told me it could run higher than that, ok I said to all of them come and take a look. Only 2 called me and came over, the first one after looking the situation over said $3650.00, the second one said $3500.00.
    My buddy that works for _____ came over yesterday with the paper work on their furnace, 95% energy furnace, same warranty as the other ones. He'll give the furnace to me at his cost $1200.00 and will charge me $600.00 for labor fee for him and his helper. Told me it will take them no longer than 6 hrs, I said "do it". So this tells me that the other plumbers, are making $1000.00 from the furnace, and lets say $1300.00 for labor, thats a minimum of $2300.00 for lets say 8 hours. Rick is this standard fee's (profits) in California? If this is the case why the F___ did I get out of plumbing and went to General Contracting which gives me just as big of a head ache as plumbing did. I have to go to classes, I have insurance to pay, I have to have a license, the tools, you name it. If I tried to charge that much here in MN., I would never find work. Remember I am not a developer just a Contractor. I'm not bashing anybody here, I'm just trying to justify what they are trying to make in profits for being a small business. I deal w/plumbers all the time and the ones I do don't charge like that, but then again all they want to work on is new housing.
    There is a lack of plumbers in this area, so getting one is very tough to get, and as far as General Contractors, a dime a dozen, there every where, and thats why I can never even think about large wages as this. Once again, I am not cutting down plumbers, just trying to justify the cost of charging a home owner for a furnace and installation. And yes I will get the full warranty from my buddy and $150,00 rebate on top of that. Thanks for listening.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Help me understand

So Dog,Utah,Plumbers crack,All clear and all others:

What do I do in a case like this,Should I use my left or right hand

Just kidding
    Last edited by drtyhands; 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I Vote "left and right hand"
      Oh and maybe a foot or two
      http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

garager, i see this all the time. just not on furnaces, since i don't do them.

ever since flat rate came out , there are book prices and not real life time and material estimates.

you as a contractor are in a much better position than a poor unknowing homeowner that is desperate.

the thieves are preying on the underinformed homeowner.

i don't advertise and i don't sit around waiting for the phone to ring.

where did you get the 6 other bids from? how did you know to call them?

i recently heard from a very reliable source about a big advertiser, big time thief, charging a new / 1st. and last time homeowner, $600.00 to change a $7.00 fluidmaster ballcock. no kidding

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

All 6 of the business were at the Home Show in Duluth, selling Bryant, Trane, Lennox, Rheem, Carrier and York. I guess I just needed to vent a little. On a standard installation and charging like that, just bothered the s__t out of me. Actually went to the Home Show to look at furnaces, and compare them. I needed to make up my mind on which furnace brand to go with, and that would have been the perfect time.
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
          X