Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: handyman plumber

Originally posted by jimang22 View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Was just trying to see if a needed liescne to open a drain cleaning company for now. If i could put like jims drain and sewer cleaner on the van without getting in trouble. And to find out if i need to be a general contractor to do handyman things like fixing plumbing problems around someone house. Here in ohio there is no schools around here where i can go so i can get state cert. and i dont have a company to say i worked for 5 years so it hard to get it but i liked working with it. if anyone got anything that you think would help fell free to let me know. Just trying to make a living. some people on here just dont give anyone a chance nor try to help.so why write if your that great go plumb and dont write.Thanks everyone else
    Take what I saw for what it`s worth

I feel that there must be some reason you didn't work out with the last plumber, Why not try working with another plumber? You will learn more if you can work with as many plumbers as you can but remember to listen to em as they are the masters. I learn something every day and some times it`s from a master plumber I work with Shoot I check in here every day to learn something. I own ACS but I am in No way the 100'% plumber. Like I said, do it right and take the right steps if you want to become a plumber I am
    Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 04-25-2007, 11:40 PM.
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

I know of two plumbers in my area that work without a plumbing license. one got caught for installing a water heater no permit, so They made him pay a fine I think he had a friend pull an after fact permit. Drain cleaning would be you way to go. Once your in the door of someones house you can tell them what else you are able to fix for them. I have no problem with the fact that the guy with out the license is getting work for the simple fact the people who are calling him would in no way be able to afford my price. He not getting rich just making a living. Like I mention before People are doing work without license and because the inspector are busy doing inspection they have little time to chase down un-licensed workers IMO If you do drain cleaning your bound to need to replace a sewer down the road Find someone who may be willing to pull your permit Pay them 100.00 bucks then you do the plumbing for running the drain. Just make sure you do it right. NO RED TAGS OR YOU WILL NOT BE GETTING PERMIT AGAIN FROM THAT PLUMBER > I guessing about 4 or 5 plumbers in my area do nothing but drain cleaning advertizing , And there is good money in that work. Freddy

Comment

Originally posted by freddy View Post
        I If you do drain cleaning your bound to need to replace a sewer down the road Find someone who may be willing to pull your permit Pay them 100.00 bucks then you do the plumbing for running the drain. Just make sure you do it right. NO RED TAGS OR YOU WILL NOT BE GETTING PERMIT AGAIN FROM THAT PLUMBER > I guessing about 4 or 5 plumbers in my area do nothing but drain cleaning advertising , And there is good money in that work. Freddy
        freddy, it's 1 thing to bail out a friend on a job, but letting someone use your license is super, super illegal.

i would never jeopardize my license, especially to a person who is already doing illegal work.

if they don't have a license, they don't have liability insurance or workers comp insurance.

let them stick to minor jobs, that don't require a license.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Freddy:

Just take a look at the following thread:
          http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9067

Mrs. Seat Down

Comment

freddy, it's 1 thing to bail out a friend on a job, but letting someone use your license is super, super illegal.

i would never jeopardize my license, especially to a person who is already doing illegal work.

if they don't have a license, they don't have liability insurance or workers comp insurance.

let them stick to minor jobs, that don't require a license.

Rick I would never pull the permit for these guy's but there are other in the area that will and do it all the time. There is a plumber who calls the inspector anytime he see's this un-license guy truck some where, but like I said they don't do to much to him. he still going after 7 or 8 years or more just can't seem to pass book test after several time trying. So He just doing what he can find to do. He is just one of hundreds going in and out of the depot everyday boot legging in work. Never get it under control till they require a license to buy products.... Water Heater, Pipe, shower pan ,... But that's not going to happen. Freddy

Comment

Just what the world needs... another handyman plumber . Personally you can have the drain clearing end of the business. I hate it. There's easier money to be made doing other things with less headaches.

What I see happening is you'll clear a lavy drain for someone then she will politely ask you to fix her leaky basement toilet. No problem. Oh and while you are down there can you fix the leak on the water heater also? So you put a plug on the dripping relief valve and anounce...all fixed

2 days later the house is leveled from an explosion.

I'm just making a point that its really easy to jump from snaking lavy drains to doing something really dangerous and stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

its really easy to jump from snaking lavy drains to doing something really dangerous and stupid.
                thats what I was getting at when I said "stick with wood working and leave the plumbing to the pro`s."

Comment

p/c i agree with most of what you have said, but you have to know where your limits are witch means there is no harm in saying " i really wich i could do that _________ for you but sadly i do not have the expence in doing that. if you would like i can refer you to some one that does know" you just might be surprized how many customers would like to hear that from a handy man. the only promlem with that is you have to KNOW WHERE YOUR LIMIT IS!!!
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I would say if you dont have a license then you should KNOW WHERE YOUR LIMIT IS
                    I hate working on something a hack worked on beforehand.

Comment

Originally posted by jimang22 View Post
                      I worked for a plumbing company for 3 years and learned alot

i would have to say that he should know more than knowing how to dig a ditch wouldn't you?
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                        i would have to say that he should know more than knowing how to dig a ditch wouldn't you?

Are you kidding me? The 3 year plumbing guys are the worst. They've learned just enough to kill someone.
                        No one turns away work by saying "I'm not smart enough to help you with that, better you give your money to someone else"

It happens to me all the time. If she's really cute and asks me to rewire a light switch I'll do it even though I know squat about electricity. If the customer wanted a real professional they would have called one in the first place.

I'm with ALL Clear on this one. I hate a hack.

Comment

I put a light bulb in last week for an old lady I`m just a nice guy like that
                          Thats about as far as I will go outside my line of work. If I dont know something, I call my 35 year Master plumber in He`s got Skills and he gives me kick-backs $$$
                          Last edited by All Clear Sewer; 04-26-2007, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            No one turns away work by saying "I'm not smart enough to help you with that, better you give your money to someone else"

well i guess i am a dummy cause when i frist went on my own (i owned a framing company in maryland for 13 years) it was just me and other and i looked at the plans for one job and after about a week i knew i wanted to the job but knew that there was no way i could, i didn't have enough man power or knowlage i also didn't have the money to rent a crane. the house was 3 storys open foryer with 10' walls it was also 8400 sqft if i remember so sadly i had to turn the job down.
                            this is where i must be a dummy when i did get "big enough" 2 years later and i went back to that company to look at another set of plans my price was the 3rd highest bid the recived but i got the contract due to me being honset the frist time i delt with them. andfrom that point on 90% of my work came from them.
                            so yes some times it does pay off to use your head and say "i am not ready for this at this time" trust me there is no shame in it
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Ok I'm officially confused

I thought I was the dummy in this scenario

The point I was trying to make was.....umm....damn, now I don't even know

Allergy medication makes me stupid

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                                Yep and I`v seen people drive cars that dont have a license Hope they done kill anyone
                                and does it mean that someone that does not have a drivers license does not know how to drive . i was driving dump trucks when i was 13 and did a good job at it to .so if some can be good at doing plumbing needs to have a license to be a pro .
                                i bet there are plumbers out there that do have a license and are no ware a pro .i did plumbing for over 10 yrs and never had a license and i can do all types of the trade but i never say I'm a pro . using the word PRO means you cant do no wrong.
                                so this site is for all people to ask for help and there is no reason to tell them to get a pro ,try to help them .
                                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                                X