Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

handyman plumber

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • handyman plumber

    I am new at this.I worked for a plumbing company for 3 years and learned alot but had a fall out. I have started my own handyman company and was wondering how much plumbing i can do without being liscensed. I only have a contactors liscense.I do have my gas line liscense. Can i do basic repairs,change out hot water tanks,etc.
    Also where can i find a main snake for a good price. And a sink snake. I used to use a ridgid k 1500 ,and a k-50. Does anyone like the new self feeding k-40 only heard that if it hits hard cloge it tangles up in drum.I f anyone can help thank you. Is the k75 any good for a main drain can it get through hard cloges.Thanks
    Last edited by jimang22; 04-24-2007, 10:51 PM.

  • #2
    Re: handyman plumber

    you cant work as a plumber with out being a master plumber unless you have one working for you. He will be your boss
    Stick with wood working and leave the plumbing to the masters
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: handyman plumber

      We here in Cali have a lot of handymen advertising not only carpentry to paint, but electrical, plumbing and hvac.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: handyman plumber

        So what you are saying is some has to be a master plumber to snake peoples drains .How does maint. people work without being able to repair problems if they are not adding on new rooms or moving plumbing or electrical. IT repairing old problems.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: handyman plumber

          Thanks Dirtyhands,
          A handyman is there it paint, build, and fix problems, If your sink is leaking I will fix it.Its not like im trying to do hole houses ( but i can) there is more fast money in service calls fixing problems and moving on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: handyman plumber

            Originally posted by jimang22 View Post
            I am new at this.I worked for a plumbing company for 3 years and learned alot but had a fall out. I have started my own handyman company and was wondering how much plumbing i can do without being liscensed. I only have a contactors liscense.I do have my gas line liscense. Can i do basic repairs,change out hot water tanks,etc.
            Also where can i find a main snake for a good price. And a sink snake. I used to use a ridgid k 1500 ,and a k-50. Does anyone like the new self feeding k-40 only heard that if it hits hard cloge it tangles up in drum.I f anyone can help thank you. Is the k75 any good for a main drain can it get through hard cloges.Thanks
            welcome jim, well you mentioned a good assortment of drain cleaners.

            if you like sectional machines, you can't beat the 1500. i also love the k-50. i would run far away from the k-40. the k-75 is a scaled down version of the 1500. i would rather have the k-60 which is a great machine, it will do 7/8'' and 5/8'' cable. i love it.

            instead of the k-40, try the new improved k-39. it has a 2 way power feed and is very easy to change cables and keep them clean and dry. remember any small cable will kink very fast as there is a very fine line between too much torque on a 1/4'' cable. toss the k-40 and get the k-39.

            now as far as your trade question goes. out here in california. a general contractor can do plumbing as long as it's part of 3 major trades that you're doing on the job. meaning if you're framing a house, you can do the plumbing , electrical, heating. you can't just pull a plumbing permit on its own. also anything over $600.00 labor and materials requires a contractors license.

            rick.
            phoebe it is

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: handyman plumber

              contact your state plumbing inspector. They will tell you what you can and can,t do. It's a good idea to always ask them if your ever unsure. If you can always contact the same inspector and build a repore that way if you cross the line into a grey area and get called on it, you can contact your inspector and they may be able to put a good word in for you (i.e. hes a good guy. he calls often to make sure hes following the law. I'm sure this was just a mistake. etc...) They don't always have to fine you so if you cross the line and you can show your trying to be legit they are more apt to give you a warning.
              In Maine without a license I can do Plumbing repairs and replacement but can't make anything new. In other words I can tear out every bit of plumbing in a house and replace it exactly the way it was, but I can't move a kitchen sink 3' over. Even if I know something is not to code I have to replace it the same way it was.
              Maine and as far as I know most states don't require a license for drain cleaning.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: handyman plumber

                but to do plumbing you will need one. If you change out hot water tanks, that`s plumbing and should be done by a pro.
                http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: handyman plumber

                  In my neck of the woods on any day of the week you will see handy men buying 4" pipe & fittings water heater wire and any thing else that home depot sells. And I bet they have no license. Or training to Install to code, Every once in awhile they get caught. may get a small fine. just the cost of doing business Where If your Licenced Hold on to your as- Cause they will fine you throw you in jail take your fist born.. Handy man little to no cost involved, little or no insurance, permit what's a permit, Pick and chose your jobs carefully and you'll fit right in to the norm. Cable machine K-60 will do both sewer and sink lines for you. best bang for the buck. Freddy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: handyman plumber

                    Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    but to do plumbing you will need one. If you change out hot water tanks, that`s plumbing and should be done by a pro.
                    just because you don't have a license does not mean you are not a pro. in some States you don't need a license ,it is up to the local township.
                    Charlie

                    My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                    http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                    new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: handyman plumber

                      Originally posted by freddy View Post
                      In my neck of the woods on any day of the week you will see handy men buying 4" pipe & fittings water heater wire and any thing else that home depot sells. And I bet they have no license. Or training to Install to code, Every once in awhile they get caught. may get a small fine. just the cost of doing business Where If your Licenced Hold on to your as- Cause they will fine you throw you in jail take your fist born.. Handy man little to no cost involved, little or no insurance, permit what's a permit, Pick and chose your jobs carefully and you'll fit right in to the norm. Cable machine K-60 will do both sewer and sink lines for you. best bang for the buck. Freddy

                      freddy good choice in machines k60

                      to address your other statement, i'll let mrs. seat down give you the answer. maybe not tonight, but in the next day or 2.

                      got to go. 7:00 reservations for our 3rd. anniversary

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: handyman plumber

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        freddy good choice in machines k60

                        to address your other statement, i'll let mrs. seat down give you the answer. maybe not tonight, but in the next day or 2.

                        got to go. 7:00 reservations for our 3rd. anniversary

                        rick.
                        CONGRADULATIONS

                        Had i freind last year who was celebrating their 30th say JOKINGLY "if I would have done away with her 25 years ago I would have been out by now"

                        May you guy's have many more years of happiness

                        Adam

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: handyman plumber

                          Thanks for all the input. Was just trying to see if a needed liescne to open a drain cleaning company for now. If i could put like jims drain and sewer cleaner on the van without getting in trouble. And to find out if i need to be a general contractor to do handyman things like fixing plumbing problems around someone house. Here in ohio there is no schools around here where i can go so i can get state cert. and i dont have a company to say i worked for 5 years so it hard to get it but i liked working with it. if anyone got anything that you think would help fell free to let me know. Just trying to make a living. some people on here just dont give anyone a chance nor try to help.so why write if your that great go plumb and dont write.Thanks everyone else

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: handyman plumber

                            jimang22,
                            good luck on your venture,stay close, even though the ones who may seem to be bitting at your heels are the same ones who will be more than willling to jump in and lend you a hand.I cannot foresee a plumbing problem that you or I might have that these guys wouldn't be there for

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: handyman plumber

                              Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                              just because you don't have a license does not mean you are not a pro. in some States you don't need a license ,it is up to the local township.
                              Yep and I`v seen people drive cars that dont have a license Hope they done kill anyone
                              http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X