X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hazardous water heater!!!......?

a friend install a new hot water tank in his home back in dec. 2006. couple days ago him and his wife started smelling something. yesterday they pinpointed the origin of the smell. it was the black foam tube of foam insulation he wrapped the pipes in. the supply line coming out of the tank got soo hot it melted the rubber o ring in the female end. it didn't do any damage to the tank. but now when we filled it up and turn the power on it almost sounds like a toilet running, turn it on and 6 secs. later it's making that noise again. on a scale of a-b the temp is set at b 1/4. anyone ever experience anything like this??? there is no air in the lines and the tank is full with the pressure releif valve in good condition.

thank you, Jon

Re: hazardous water heater!!!......?

Did he buy it at Home Depot or Lowes ?
    http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Hazardous??..yes probably. If an electric water heater got so hot to melt the insulation on the water piping above the tank thats bad..very bad.

What is the temperature of the water?

Why did you drain the tank?

Are you sure the melting wasn't already there from when you installed the tank? (yes, we all know it was you that installed it)

If the water was cold and you turned the power back on the hissing sound is just the elements heating the water. This is normal.

I would be waaay more concerned of the melting problem.

Call a professional!!!...but not me. I'm busy this week
      Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-26-2007, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
        Did he buy it at Home Depot or Lowes ?
        he got it at Hadlock Building Supply. just a small hoh-dunk town hardware store. the brand is reliant. he said after a couple months of use their showers got a little shorter as time went on but didn't really put it all together until this major over heating. he swears to god that the end of the copper supply line coming out of the heater was red hot. this supply line had like a plastic ring where the fitting and bendable copper line joined together and that was pretty chared and the black rubbery washer inside the female end was fried bad into a black goooie mess. he also said he was shocked (electrically) when he grabbed the hot line going out. i asked him, well if it was red hot why did you grab it in the first place? all i got was a dirty look. and like i said before, heating temps. are A. hot B. hotter c. hottest and it's set at B and 1/4. i just don't understand how it could get that hot without melting the elements.

thanks, Jon

Comment

it is either not wired right or the groung wire is not right. i say this becase you said he got shocked. i think it may be time to run though the wiring and or call a pro.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

would the wiring work fine for a couple months, and then go bad? i'll suggest checking the wiring to him.

thanks for your input, Jon

Comment

if something was over loaded or if something was not tight then it is quite possable
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I think your friend tells good fishing stories about the ones that got away too
                For the water in a tank to get copper pipe red hot color. the T&P valve would have to open and relieved the water heater tank. Try again

Comment

Originally posted by y13supio View Post
                  i'll suggest checking the wiring to him.
                  OMG! the pipe is supposably red hot, he grabs it and it shocks him?? and he needs someone else to suggest looking into the wiring? What kind of a fool are we dealing with here?

Have him call (in this order)
                  1 Professional plumber
                  2 Reliant
                  3 Hadlock Building Supply
                  4 Electrician
                  5 911 (to put out the fire)
                  6 Insurance company

The letters on the thermostat mean nothing until this is corrected

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    OMG! the pipe is supposably red hot, he grabs it and it shocks him?? and he needs someone else to suggest looking into the wiring? What kind of a fool are we dealing with here?

Have him call (in this order)
                    1 Professional plumber
                    2 Reliant
                    3 Hadlock Building Supply
                    4 Electrician
                    5 911 (to put out the fire)
                    6 Insurance company

The letters on the thermostat mean nothing until this is corrected

i agree completly
                    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

1. Open the breaker
                      2. Shut off the water
                      3. Call a Plumber and/or an Electrician
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

my guess is some how the electric is shorting via the copper pipe, and depending on how it is bonded or grounded, and that is why the burnt or heated area around the tube. especially if the plastic or O ring was making a high resistance area, it may not even "have been a hot water heater problem to begin with it could even be a lose neutral in the panel or a bonded sub panel, or some other oddity.
                        but what ever it is some one with electrical and plumbing knowledge is needed. Before someone ends up dead. either by electrocution or explosion,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Hazardous??..yes probably. If an electric water heater got so hot to melt the insulation on the water piping above the tank thats bad..very bad.

What is the temperature of the water?

Why did you drain the tank?

Are you sure the melting wasn't already there from when you installed the tank? (yes, we all know it was you that installed it)

If the water was cold and you turned the power back on the hissing sound is just the elements heating the water. This is normal.

I would be waaay more concerned of the melting problem.

Call a professional!!!...but not me. I'm busy this week
                          I agree with Crack.
                          the dog

Comment

well, i haven't been able to look at it today. however, that noise that i discribed as a toilet running is still there when the power is on. so i don't think it's the sound of the elements heating up. i did talk to his wife today and she said that noise has not yet gone away, she even check periodically overnite because i didn't think it was very safe to have power going to it until we could figure this out. she also tells me that when the hot water started not lasting as long as usual that he went to the fuse box and shut off the breaker for the tank and turned it back on. and it would appear that the hot would last longer. when it would seem to not run hot as long he'd hit the breaker and it would be good for a week or two again. so i'm going to look at the wiring tomorrow maybe later tonite if i get the chance. i would hate to see their house burn down. is there anything else you can think i should check? i talked to the building supply outfit and they said talk to the guy who installed it. he is no longer in the area. i tried the manufacturer of the unit but after 25 mins. i was still listening to automated crap or being transferred to more automated crap.
                            thanks for your input, Jon

someone asked, "what type of fool are we dealing with". the type of fool i'm dealing with is in his late 60's pissed off at life because he does't have much use of his hands any more and the meds they got him on confuse the hell out of him. hopefully life treats you a little better than he.

Comment

Jon

The "fool" comment came from me and I feel bad about it now

Sometimes my comments may seem a little...umm...abrasive. I use sarcasm to get my point across but it wasn't meant to offend anyone. Never been much of a "people" person but like helping and this forum is a great outlet for me.

Listen to what EVERYONE here has been saying. Call a professional. Maybe he doesn't have the money and thats why you are involved trying to help someone out. I get that, but you need to get a handle on this ASAP. I can't stress that enough. I don't care that it worked fine for several months. I don't know what's changed. It's not working right now...get it fixed!

Get the manufacturer on the phone. You need to find another phone number if you spent 25 mins with a recording. It's the weekend now so good luck with that.

You seem to be focused on that toilet running noise this is the least of your worries. Is it a toilet running? Is it a hot water faucet running? Is there a hot water pipe under the floor thats leaking? Shut the valve off to the heater..do you still hear it? I still thinks it's the elements heating up.

If you are not a qualified electrician capable of diagnosing this issue then have him shut the breaker off and leave it off.

P.S. My life has treated me like crap that's why I became a plumber.

~Bill
                              Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-28-2007, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X