Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

question to plumbing and gas cont. and those who intend to open there own businesses

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question to plumbing and gas cont. and those who intend to open there own businesses

I' m opening a new business in Oklahoma [okcity] , this is my third , I've done well enough to support the family and then some . I'm 42 , started plumbing at 18 in the air force [4 years]. It seems to be getting tougher on the service end to generate calls for the bread and butter calls like faucets , toilets , water heaters ,etc. .I believe in helping my fellow man with discounting and even free jobs for friends or family but when it comes to sharing info. / techniques that took years to fine tune with people not in the trade , I don't feel we are helping our own profession - It makes me think some of the guys that answer every single question maybe are retired and have made thier fortunes . I love to share knowledge with apprentices and see them run with it - but your there to guide them . It's important for me to mention I'm not refering to this forum but another one I encountered and all I can say is why call a plumber , there is so much info. , so you will eventually be getting calls from cust. who have messed up ,and that's cool , but we're giving out complete remodel advice ,that's wrong ,period ,give me feedback

Re: question to plumbing and gas cont. and those who intend to open there own busines

Originally posted by apf View Post
    I' m opening a new business in Oklahoma [okcity] , this is my third , I've done well enough to support the family and then some . I'm 42 , started plumbing at 18 in the air force [4 years]. It seems to be getting tougher on the service end to generate calls for the bread and butter calls like faucets , toilets , water heaters ,etc. .I believe in helping my fellow man with discounting and even free jobs for friends or family but when it comes to sharing info. / techniques that took years to fine tune with people not in the trade , I don't feel we are helping our own profession - It makes me think some of the guys that answer every single question maybe are retired and have made thier fortunes . I love to share knowledge with apprentices and see them run with it - but your there to guide them . It's important for me to mention I'm not refering to this forum but another one I encountered and all I can say is why call a plumber , there is so much info. , so you will eventually be getting calls from cust. who have messed up ,and that's cool , but we're giving out complete remodel advice ,that's wrong ,period ,give me feedback
    APF,

I have been complaining about that for two years here. I'm usually considered a jerk for that opinion. The funny part is that I am a construction plumbing foreman, and am not affected by that competetion at all. I just believe that our trade discussion should be among plumbers. If a homeowner wants to listen in, so be it. I'm also not above helping capable homeowners with simple questions.
    the dog

Comment

Re: question to plumbing and gas cont. and those who intend to open there own busines

For the most part I would guess that the majority of questions asked in the plumbing section are from pros here. Consumers dont know to come here and ask plumbing questions. Now you may get an Administrator that comes in here every once and a while and asks for some help but other than I think for the most part if a question is asked it is by someone in the trade. Most of the time its advice about how to use a pro tool.... or discussion about a job you did, etc. BTW... any use of advice on this board is covered by the disclaimer at the top of every forum.

Whatch the type of posts for a while here and who is asking and answering. there are other DIY sites that cover non pro topics heavily. There will always be some DIYers here but the plumbing forums are targeted at the pros.

Josh
      Last edited by Josh; 04-29-2007, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        For the most part I would guess that the majority of questions asked in the plumbing section are from pros here. Consumers dont know to come here and ask plumbing questions. Now you may get an Administrator that comes in here every once and a while and asks for some help but other than I think for the most part if a question is asked it is by someone in the trade. Most of the time its advice about how to use a pro tool.... or discussion about a job you did, etc. BTW... any use of advice on this board is covered by the disclaimer at the top of every forum.

Whatch the type of posts for a while here and who is asking and answering. there are other DIY sites that cover non pro topics heavily. There will always be some DIYers here but the plumbing forums are targeted at the pros.

Josh
        I agree with Josh here. I did not mean to imply that is what this forum is about. I meant that I agreed with your philosophy on information.

In fact, I have dealt with a number of plumbing forums, and this forum is by far the most professional, most informative, and most intellectual I have ever seen.

If you have technical questions, this is the place to be.
        the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
          APF,

I have been complaining about that for two years here. I'm usually considered a jerk for that opinion. The funny part is that I am a construction plumbing foreman, and am not affected by that competetion at all. I just believe that our trade discussion should be among plumbers. If a homeowner wants to listen in, so be it. I'm also not above helping capable homeowners with simple questions.
          Thanks dog I appreciate you

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Josh
            I really was refering to another forum besides ridgid , I can see we have some knowledgeable folks here

Comment

APF,

Sorry to say this,But this is the technology era we have to move fast to provide for those close to us.Change is going to happen with or without me.I am no longer able to sit back on my current knowledge level with plumbing or I will get passed over.

Another thing,be confident they can only reach a certain point.To try to get even a small remodel through inspection will cost them so much time and energy they will most likely hire the next project out to a qualified individual.

HEY,So. Cal. locals what happened to the days when the inspectors used to ask for for our journyman or contractors licence card.

The problem is current, new situation.There is still way more work out there than all of us put together can imagine.So we just don't get to do the easy stuff any more.

ADAM

Comment

SOMEBODY CALL GUINESS

Comment

i just don't know what to say about this well dog it is confrimed..... you have one fan atleast that is one more than me . good job
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

apf, i actually enjoy helping and giving advise

i'm 44 and have been at since i was 12.5 i've never advertised and i don't wait for the phone to ring. since i live in a city with more so called plumbers and handymen than you can shake a stick at, i rely on referrals and my good reputation

even when my customer calls me for simple stuff, i would rather talk them through the basics, prior to coming out and charging them for a simple repair. they all are thrilled in the free advise and if they don't suceed, then they will call me anyways.

as far as this forum and advice goes, i tend to weed throught the good, bad and ugly. some i follow through with and some i will avoid. i do get my share of p.m too. but would rather answer it on the open forum for all to join in.

stick around and join the fun. my wife and i do sometimes fight over the computer to reply.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i'm 44 and have been at since i was 12.5 i've never advertised and i don't wait for the phone to ring. since i live in a city with more so called plumbers and handymen than you can shake a stick at, i rely on referrals and my good reputation

even when my customer calls me for simple stuff, i would rather talk them through the basics, prior to coming out and charging them for a simple repair. they all are thrilled in the free advise and if they don't suceed, then they will call me anyways.

as far as this forum and advice goes, i tend to weed throught the good, bad and ugly. some i follow through with and some i will avoid. i do get my share of p.m too. but would rather answer it on the open forum for all to join in.

stick around and join the fun. my wife and i do sometimes fight over the computer to reply.

rick.
                      So let's start a pool and get her a router and her own notebook.It won't take long.

Comment

That is the key here , established clientell . I like to travel , and not afraid to change , consequently had businesses in Tampa , Las Vegas and Chicago . I built them and left . I married an "OKIE" and I'm getting tired of moving . I'm 90 miles out of OKC so I'm going in ...............anyways , I guess I kind of miss the days you had to actually use math to piece together pipe runs and weigh more than 90 pounds because you could bet you were bustin' it . Thank-you for letting me vent gentleman / ladies . I appreciate your opions

Comment

add me to the list. He may be a little blunt sometimes but still a very important part of the forum. as long as he doesnt scare away too many newbies

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                          i just don't know what to say about this well dog it is confrimed..... you have one fan atleast that is one more than me . good job

Comment

apf,
                            I got hammered on another forum because the poster was a professional handywomen, and had a little ad in her signature. I took her to task, saying she had no business doing plumbing work unless she was a plumber, especially if she had to ask for help. I usually help homeowners as much as I can, but if I spot a jackleg, I let them have it with both barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

rick.
                              I agree, I am a PROFESIONAL welder, which means if I don't do it right I don't eat. I do not advertise, because I do not want most of those calls. I get my work from word of mouth, and because I do top notch work. Just like plumbing, everybody that goes to home crepo and buys a welding machine is automaticaly a welder. If you do good work, don't worry about homeowners doing there own stuff. Sooner or later they will screw it up beyond there ability, and you have double the work from a simple job. I run in to this all the time "My buddy said he could weld it for me", after the buddy "fixed" it is worse than the initial problem, and takes twice the time to repair. I have no problem helping out the guy in his garage fixing his mower, learning how to weld, or building a hot rod.

Comment

Working...
                              X