Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best way to snake from the roof

Originally posted by apf View Post
    I'm fond of cabling through the stack , I charge more but it's a push . To cable from the roof or pull and reset a toilet evens out time wise .{since I am a T & M shop]. The hardest part is getting the K-1500 up there . Then I suggest we sound the line or locate to find the clean-out you know is there but buried or sell them a clean-out install. I always keep my mach. close to the access for power . With that pvc / abs extension it seems you'd have a hell of time working the cable on a root infested line . For a soft blockage I could see the possible uses .
    Hold on Rick, I'll say it for you. Get a k-60 and snaking from the roof will be easy as can be. Mark and Rick talked so much about the K-60 that I had to get one. They're not blowing smoke. It really is a great machine.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Hold on Rick, I'll say it for you. Get a k-60 and snaking from the roof will be easy as can be. Mark and Rick talked so much about the K-60 that I had to get one. They're not blowing smoke. It really is a great machine.
      ben you can thank me, and i can thank mark. and we all can thank ridgid

snaking from the ground up a pipe and back down a stack is a waste of time and alot of extra cable. you lose torque and a real feel of the cable.

believe me, i've done it both ways, and the only way to go is with the machine on the roof at your side. the k-60 is the machine of choice for this.

i pulled a bucket of heavy roots out of area drain piping today. sure it was ground level, but the k-7500 cable is too stiff for styrene fittings. the open wind k-60 cable did a great job and pulled out roots both at the cutter and the first 5' of open wind cable.

nothing against your way all clear, i just have done it both ways and before the k-60 i was doing it like you.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I prefer to use a second guy as I use a large duracable machine.

But I guess thats not always an option. I like doing k/s etc from the roof in the summer because all the mess is on the roof and I can fill the fixture with water to create pressure and move soft plugs.

Comment

I would like to own both mach. at this time not feasible for me .I own the larger 1500 , not the 7500 , but it has balls enouigh for up to 8' lines .I've used the 60 and it is ideal for roofs ,that is for sure .

Comment

lets look at this again Rick

I only had 14` of pipe and fittings
            It only took about 10 to 15 minutes to set this up
            It was about 10 outside that day
            I had to chip away the ice and snow just to get in that back yard and on the roof to tape the pipe to the vent
            I would never let one of my helpers on a roof that had snow or ice on it

I do it this way all the time and have never had a problem with torque. I listen to my machine so I don't really need my hands on the cable to get a feel of what's going on. Shoot I hardly ever have my hands on the cable even on a ground clean-out. I learned a long time a go to listen to my machine as you can hear it torque long before you can feel it.

The "waste of time" would be going to the hospital after falling off an ice or snow covered roof
            http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

fortunately we don't have snow or ice. we do get steep roofs and 2 or 3 story residential. commercial is typically a flat roof.

what happens when the roof vent is farther away from the edge of the roof.

i have 2- 75' cages of 7/8'' k-60 cable. i know that the k-60 is much lighter to work with than the 3/4''. do you have to hand load the extra cable into your drum. is 100' typically enough to clear most jobs from the roof?

like i said, i use to do it your way. but a little different method that was much easier and faster. i still use this way in high overhead clean outs in a sub terranian garage. but ever since the k-60, i don't need to worry about the roofs.

my buddy gives me his nasty roof/ root jobs since he knows i can do it by myself faster and better than his 2 guys would take.

your way works good for your situation. during the non snow days, i know that a k-60 would be faster and easier than your set up. plus it probably will save you a cable change at 100'.

i also like the open wind as it tends to grab roots along its entire length, not just the cutter. most roots come back. at 45# it's sure a pleasure to handle. no winch to get it up

maybe josh can send out a demo

just bought my second k60 last weekend at the big show

have a brand new 7500 in the box that is getting jealous. it's looking for a foster parent. i'll see if it likes the cold winters

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

My Gorlitz 68 carries 150' per reel, so I've never had a problem reaching out to clear the line. As far as building some torque on a stubborn root, I just pull myself an extra 6 or 7 ft of cable, clamp the rest to my reel, and get busy. The only thing I don't favor about doing it this way is that after pulling it all out and dropping it to the ground below, it has to be fed back into reel w/o machine running, so the coils remain loose.
                "...then there was that dusky gal in Bangkok...real crossway breeder I swear"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

maybe josh can send out a demo

have a brand new 7500 in the box that is getting jealous. it's looking for a foster parent. i'll see if it likes the cold winters

rick.
                  I signed up for a demo but the rep was a screwball and couldnt find a K-60 to demo or sale me....rotflmao Then he got pissy when I told em I`d just get one off toolup.

I`d be a good foster parent for the K-7500
                  I`d keep it in my new black trailer so it would stay warm
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by All Clear Sewer View Post
                    I signed up for a demo but the rep was a screwball and couldnt find a K-60 to demo or sale me....rotflmao Then he got pissy when I told em I`d just get one off toolup.

I`d be a good foster parent for the K-7500
                    I`d keep it in my new black trailer so it would stay warm

nice pic,love the snow,hate to work in it though
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I know this is a Ridgid site, but I use a Spartan model 300 machine for the roof jobs. The 300 breaks down easily and quickly for roof jobs. I also use a rope for getting the machine up and down the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                        I know this is a Ridgid site, but I use a Spartan model 300 machine for the roof jobs. The 300 breaks down easily and quickly for roof jobs. I also use a rope for getting the machine up and down the roof.
                        Tom, most of us like Ridgid but by all means if you think we could benefit from another companies, then let us know. I hold loyalty to only quality and not the name. Got a feeling most of us feel the same way.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

i too have a spartan 300. it's a 5/8'' machine and does a good job. i would hate to drag it to a roof though.

just did 150' today in the hot sun with my k-60 and 7/8'' sectional cable. time from show up to all put back in my truck was 1.25 hrs.

i was able to carry 2- 75' spools, 1 in each hand. the more i use it the faster i get and the more i'm in love sorry joey, but i spend a good part of my days with my ridgid tools. i think my k-60 has a thing for me now with my new k-60, i might get my first 3some

ben, the more people we tell about the k-60, the more ridgid is going to sell and other plumbers are going to do the jobs that only you,mark and i can accomplish

lets keep this just between us

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

and other plumbers are going to do the jobs that only you,mark and i can accomplish

lets keep this just between us

rick.[/quote]

I hate to be a jerk, but I can snake a roof vent by myself in 60 mins or less, run cable through the rung of my ladder with 2 extension cords, if I need more cable I will jump down, load another 50 in my machine, I run a duracable machine and a spartan. I love ridgid, but I can still do this in 1.5 hrs, with check in hand, with a duracable Sounds like if I had the ridgid k-60 I could do it in 30-45 mins
                            Last edited by westcoastplumber; 06-15-2007, 08:36 PM.
                            sigpic

Robert

Comment

I used the spartan 300 for a year with 120' of 3/4" cable. I hated that machine but that is what that co. provided so I had to use it.

I like the Duracable machine I have now with 120' of gorlitz 11/16" cable

I keep a spare reel in my truck with another 120' to add if needed

Comment

Plumber Rick, you have convinced me to get a K-60 later this year. the 50 does a killer job, but today i had to drag the 75 down (AND BACK UP) the equivalent of 3 flights of switchback stairs through a very unlevel yard to finally get to the toilet to remove a paper blockage about 70 feet away. the 50 just didn't have the reach. easier to maneuver but doesn't have the balls to clean sometimes where i need to be.

as far as cleaning from the roof, it the blockage is believed to be vent related i'll go on the roof as much as i hate it. i'll pull a toilet or find a cleanout or even create one if necessary.

if i could just find a way to work with building traps (very common here with some of the commercial buildings being over 250 years old) without C-4 i'd be a happier camper

steve
                                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X